Previous   Next

What do you think about employers imposing restrictions against tattoos or piercings?

Browse the archives

“It depends on what the workplace is.”

“It’s ridiculous.”

“That’s not right. It presents an ideal about employees that’s not really true.”

“What I look like doesn’t change how qualified I am.”

Comments

Greg DiVilbiss 3 months ago

Employers whether consciously or unconsciously are making discernment's on the qualifications of, and whether they believe an individual would be a good fit. If the person has a bias, it is going to come through no matter what the stated policy of the company is.

Depending on the type of job an employer will consider whether or not their customers would find tattoos or piercings appropriate. A person could be incredibly qualified but if they were sporting a throat tattoo, gages, and other piercings they might not fit in all companies. As an example, if they were trying to be a sales person especially to the baby boomers then an employer would with out a doubt make a decision whether or not the appearance (as shallow as it is) of the person would impact sales negatively. If they believed it would cause people discomfort then they would not be hired.

When was the last time you saw visible tattoos and piercings on a news anchor? It should not make a difference, but I am afraid in the society we live in...it does.

Kevin Elliott 3 months ago

Antiquated and Victorian thinking that shows a closed mind and a poor sense of priorities.

The best qualified candidate, not the most fashionable.

Larry Sturm 3 months ago

Remember that the employer is paying you and you should present the image that he thinks will help his business.

Tom Huyser 3 months, 1 week ago

Has anyone noticed that the ones that feel that the employer shouldn't restrict anyone, are students? I don't think they have fully entered the working world with the intention of supporting themselves or a family. A lot of companies want/need to portray an image and body art may not fit that image, so you wouldn't be considered for the position. Before people jump all over me about it, would you get a piercing or tattoo from someone that has No body art? If you owned the studio, who would you prefer to hire, if everything else were equal? Its called the real world, a world where things may not always be fair.

Leslie Swearingen 3 months, 1 week ago

I have saw tatoos that are very lovely and those that are ugly. It depends on the skill of the tatoo artist in designing and exucuting the design.

However, keep in mind that you do not have to please me or yourself when it comes to getting and keeping a job. It is totally up to your employer so think ahead and try to plan for all possibilities before you get that tat.

Scott Morgan 3 months, 1 week ago

I do not support restrictions on public tax payer supported employment regarding how a person looks. I do support restrictions by private business on such due to what a customer might deem unappealing.

Also, most branches of the military restrict body art and piercings.

Mike Edson 3 months, 1 week ago

All too often I find that with tattoos and piercings there is an attitude that comes with it. In the service industry your quality of customer service can make or break your business. If your customers are hesitant to approach your employees to place their order or to ask for help then it is affecting the health of the business.

Elston Gunn 3 months, 1 week ago

I'm completely fine with it. If you want to treat your body like a bathroom wall, plan on working at a tattoo parlor or a strip joint. Both of my ears have been pierced for years, but I can decide when it might or might not be appropriate to wear earrings. It's not always appropriate. I've never worn them to a job interview or to grandma's house, out of respect. Kansas is one of many at-will employment states. That basically means an employer can fire you or refuse to hire you for any reason they see fit. Likewise, you are under no obligation to work for anyone. It's a stupid arrangement, but that's the way it is.

Keith Richards 3 months, 1 week ago

There use to be a restaurant in town named Herbivores. The place a was a small vegetarian sandwich shop downtown and it was pretty good. The reason why I stopped going was the staff. The girl taking orders had a face full of piercings. Some of areas around the piercings were red, swollen and puss filled. The employees appearance was so unappetizing, I could not enjoy my food.

Richard Heckler 3 months, 1 week ago

It's the job performance that matters.

Tattoo's have been around forever and ever. Soldiers have had tattoos since who know's when. My father had a tattoo.

Besides this is another form of discrimination. Employers may well miss out on some of our best and brightest.

Bob Smith 3 months, 1 week ago

If you've enough metal in your face to make a hubcap, you may be limiting your career choices.