Previous   Next

Do you think 18-to 20-year-olds should be allowed to purchase handguns?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 14, 2013

Browse the archives

“It depends on the person. I would let a number of people have guns at 18, but there are 50-year-olds I wouldn’t give a gun to. It’s not black and white.”

“No”

“No”

“No”

Related story

Comments

Jason Johnson 6 months, 1 week ago

I've been shooting handguns ever since age 12 (rifles earlier than that). So no, I don't think there should be an age limit on purchasing/using guns. Growing up I could walk in to a Coast-to-Coast store and buy ammo and a rifle if I wanted. Of course this was in an age when people were personally responsible for their behavior, and learned how to properly use/respect firearms.

Chris Golledge 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Some consistency please. At 18, person can vote, make a legally binding contract, and join the military where they may have to choose whether the person downrange has to die or not.

Mike Gerhardt 7 months ago

As a lifetime NRA member and a law enforcement professional, I must say NO!.

FlintlockRifle 7 months, 1 week ago

I got my first 22 rifle when I was 8 years old, hunted rabbits, squirrels and just about anything I could find, spent a lot of time just shooting at targets, when went in to service I knew how to shoot, after learning the quarks of the worn out M-1, I could out shoot the range master, so my answer is still yes

FlintlockRifle 7 months, 1 week ago

My gosh most 18 years have used guns in there young live anyway, dads, uncles,grandpa list goes on, answer is yes.

jane_doe 7 months, 1 week ago

I guess if we toss them into the hands of some 18 year old in boot camp and then expect him to go shoot stuff in Kandahar....then yah.

Then again, I don't think the age is really the issue. It is the crazy. And you can't tell the crazy with a background check, yaknow?

jayhawklawrence 7 months, 1 week ago

People will also begin to ask questions such as, what is the motivation for this?

Then there will be the natural link to gun manufacturers who have become simply too greedy and the American people are certainly tired of being taken advantage of by a bunch of rich people.

Count on a very negative response.

jayhawklawrence 7 months, 1 week ago

It does not have to be about your daugther. It can be about a lot of other kids at the High School with guns that they are too young to be carrying around and the kind of culture you are promoting.

It is also about having reasonable controls. Why should we stop at 18? How about anybody old enough for a learner's permit to drive?

Society has the right to not feel threatened by something like this. That is also a constitutional right.

If the NRA overreaches and is perceived as irresponsible, they will lose any good they have accomplished. That is happening right now...

George Lippencott 7 months, 1 week ago

Particularly if they are veterans.

TedB 7 months, 1 week ago

Yes, it is their right as a law abiding Americans. If I had a daughter that age she would have a CCW permit and a handgun with her at all times.

skinny 7 months, 1 week ago

Give me a break! Let's not send our 18, 19, and 20 year olds into war then!! 18 is old enough to die for the Right, but not old enough to exercise it?