Previous   Next

How have you, or someone you know, been affected by the government shutdown?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 10, 2013

Browse the archives

“I have friends who went to D.C. and are waiting for the monuments to open.”

“People I know have gone on furlough, and my wife is threatened with losing her job.”

“I don’t trust anything except alcohol since the FDA is closed.”

“My brother in the Air Force is not getting paid because of a clerical error, but the person who’s supposed to fix it isn’t working.”

Comments

George Lippencott 6 months, 1 week ago

Not. It is the debt ceiling that will bankrupt us

Leslie Swearingen 6 months, 1 week ago

Some of my health care needs are no longer covered by KanCare/Sunflower, concerns my knee which is very painful at times, up to a nine at the worst, and I have to pay out of pocket, but it is either that or suffer the pain.

My thing is that I am on SSI and how can I make out a budget or plan when i really don't know what to expect. I was not told I would have to pay until I got to the pharmacy to pick up my meds. A notice would have been nice. Didn't they think i would need that information?

Joshua Montgomery 6 months, 1 week ago

The 184th Intelligence Wing and the 190th Air Refueling Wing both canceled drill this past weekend. This meant no training this weekend for thousands of airmen who perform important missions like securing our nations networks and refueling warplanes for critical national security missions.

That also means several million dollars in drill pay was forfeited and won't be spent here in Kansas this year.

Finally, in terms of human costs, it means that young Airmen who have made substantial sacrifices to join, train and serve won't get their drill pay this month. For some Airmen these funds are essential to making ends meet.

jane_doe 6 months, 1 week ago

Richard Hitower 6 months, 1 week ago

"No. Nobody likes shutdowns. Nobody."

Excellent.

6 months, 1 week ago

Haven't been yet. The whole situation is ridiculous.

Andy Craig 6 months, 1 week ago

No. Nobody likes shutdowns. Nobody.

Roland Gunslinger 6 months, 1 week ago

Ha!

Yeah no way to fake names under this new Facebook scheme. lulz

Here I am with my verified name account but with a fake name on a facebook account you can easily get by the LJW's intentions.

Yes I am affected, in a major way. Sucked sending home employees who live paycheck to paycheck. It sucked not knowing when I'm going to get paid for the days I've worked after October 1st.

But I'm sure my mortgage company will understand. (that was was sarcasm)

Autie Anderson 6 months, 1 week ago

Of course. I have family members that were asked to leave a Corps of Engineers site at a lake. All Corps operated campgrounds are closed.