Previous   Next

Do you think preschool is important for childhood development?

Browse the archives

“I think that part is and part isn’t. To me it’s another way to get your money and a baby sitter.”

“Considering I didn’t go to preschool, I wouldn’t say it’s essential. They teach good skills, but if they have a good family or brothers and sisters, they should be OK.”

“Yes, I do think it’s important for kids to be socialized before they enter a formal school setting.”

Comments

L7 1 year ago

if kids are spose to learnt stuff in preschool then why aint it just get called more school? if they learnin stuff it aint pre!

tange 1 year ago

I didn't go to preschool, and look how I turned out.

g_rock 1 year ago

I learned how to drop boys on their heads when I was in pre-school. I may have just recently used that skill in life.

The_Original_Bob 1 year ago

"another person who thinks teachers are babysitters and are overpaid and loaf around all summer and winter vacation."

You need to put new batteries in your sarcasmometer. I should have probably put "self-righteous."

Joe Hyde 1 year ago

Sending kids barely past toddler stage to pre-schools before enrolling them in Kindergarten is more important now than ever before. The way Governor Brownback and conservative Republican legislators are cutting public education funding, our very youngest kids need all the early education they can get since, academics-wise, the 6th Grade could soon end up being their senior year.

Agnostick 1 year ago

I think a good preschool teacher is the important part.

vanessaliobanewton 1 year ago

I was in pre-school for 2 years and I was in daycare from when I was 2 and it had nothing to do with my parents being self-interested in their personal lives. It was because they needed to work so they could provide for their family. I'm a huge supporter and advocate for pre-school. It allows for a gradual change in a child's life in preparation for attending school. The child starts to get into the routine and structure of being in school before they are in kindergarten. My older sister never went to preschool (partly because my mom is an immigrant and didn't know that preschool existed until it was time for me to start going) and she had a lot of problems in her early years of school. Whereas I was already in the routine of going to school by the time I was in kindergarten and excelled in my classes. My sister turned out fine and her struggles in her first couple of years didn't hinder her academic progress at all and she graduated with honors and completed her BA in 3 1/2 years. I too graduated with honors and completed my BA in 3 1/2 years. I just think it helps the child ease into schooling.

number3of5 1 year ago

If we had parents who would take the time to teach their children while they are toddlers, there would be absolutely no need for preschool. Unfortunately that is not the case for the most part. Parents are to interested in themselves and their personal lives and fun to take the time to teach the children through interaction... JUST MY OPINION!

The_Original_Bob 1 year ago

"“I think that part is and part isn’t. To me it’s another way to get your money and a baby sitter.”"

The hell does that mean?

" Kim Bynum, stays at home"

Oh, another righteous stay at home mom.

BABBOY 1 year ago

Yes. Of course it helps. It helps them learn to socialize properly. It really helps with shy kids. They learn to become less shy which is huge advantage.

But, with home school theme going on right now, too many people would rather just have their kids at home watching Spongebob Squarepants

I agree with jhawkins. One should seriously consider where your children should go to school. I am from Topeka and can attest first hand USD 501 sucked and many kids were just moved on along to the next grade….

I really did not learn to write, speak properly, or basic skills until I got to college

-- I did learn to fight however....501 and it was good for that kind of development....

jhawkinsf 1 year ago

While trying to decide which elementary school to send my child to, I visited quite a number of different schools, both public and private. One school I visited, a school with a good reputation and one known to focus on the basics, the three R's, the principal stated quite emphatically that if your child was not currently in preschool, that child was not ready for that school. Wow, already behind the curve while applying for kindergarden.

I agree with grammaddy, they will soak up as much as you give them. Preschool is a great investment, one that will pay dividends for years to come.

grammaddy 1 year ago

Kids are such little sponges at that age, soaking in everything you try to teach them. We should try to get them to absorb as much as possible while they are little.

Paul R Getto 1 year ago

Is water good for young seedlings? Painfully "obviousville."