Previous   Next

What qualities make a good teacher?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 6, 2013

Browse the archives

“The ability to communicate and not just give technical information that no one understands.”

“I think what makes a good teacher is someone very spontaneous that keeps you interested.”

“I would say someone who can (relate to) students, who is understanding and doesn’t just jump to conclusions.”

“ Someone who shows good leadership qualities as well as patience. Someone who earns respect and doesn’t expect it.”

Comments

Andini 2 years, 1 month ago

Won hoo tot me how two reed an right.

Russell Fryberger 2 years, 1 month ago

An open mind, compassion, dedication, leadership, patience, to name just a few.

jayhaitch 2 years, 1 month ago

A good specials teacher in elementary school needs a very effective immune system.

Kathy Getto 2 years, 1 month ago

Servant leadership, the rest will follow.

avarom 2 years, 1 month ago

A good teacher enjoys going to work each morning and is able to teach children to listen and learn effectively. And, encourages children to communicate their ideaology!

msezdsit 2 years, 1 month ago

Don't ask brownback because he thinks all teachers are bad.

jonas_opines 2 years, 1 month ago

Horn-rimmed glasses, business skirt, and a paddling stick.

Or maybe that was an internet video that I saw . . . .

George_Braziller 2 years, 1 month ago

A good teacher recognizes that there are many different ways individual students learn. It's not "one size fits all" and they are able to modify how they teach or change the perspective so the student understands it.

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

Knowing how to stress students so they will learn. I always had a policy as a GTA that if any student did not know the answer on a test, they only needed to walk up to my desk and ask and I would prod them along into finding the correct answer. They thought the tests were to gauge what they knew when in fact they were written to make them think through problems and burn into their minds what I had told them would be on the test.

It's a high calling and takes an obsessive desire to pass along knowledge.

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

I was talking about college level. I have no desire to deal with kids. I should have made that clear.