Previous   Next

This week is Severe Weather Awareness Week. What steps do you take to prepare for severe weather?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway on March 2, 2013

Browse the archives

“We prepare ourselves by making sure our vehicles are in good shape, if we go out. If we are in the house, we make sure we have food, flashlights and candles. ”

“I guess I give myself more time to get places.”

“ I just traveled here from Nevada, so I made sure we had all the travel stuff ready.”

“ I work at a school. We are always doing drills. At our house we have a basement and a weather radio.”

Comments

gphawk89 1 year, 1 month ago

I always follow my dad's lead when it comes to tornado warnings. When the sirens go off I go out and stand on the front porch. My wife doesn't seem to think that's the proper thing to do.

autie 1 year, 1 month ago

I do have the nixle.com service so I get warning froms the local SO and PD...everything from weather to missing persons. Pretty handy, I get the warnings before the sirens go off.

as for the cull...the flavor and entertainment value have been elminated for a higher level of discourse. I'm really surprised that the in the basement and google this comments have stood all day. Most sure alligators with prothsetic limbs is a bit off topic.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 1 month ago

"The only thing I've done is get a better weather radio. Over the past 6-7 years I've tossed 3 of those $21.95 cheapo Midland weather radios. They gradually become unreliable when it comes to receiving weather warnings. I'm giving the Sangean CL-100 a shot."

I'm kind of wondering if weather radios are nearing the end of their run as almost everyone has or is moving to smart phones. I just got my first one six weeks ago. I imagine there is an app or eleven dozen that can match your GPS up with warnings/watches so matter if you are near Baldwin or Alabama, you'll be on top of things.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 1 month ago

The LJW's search engine has always been really bad.

And, H_Lector was probably part of the cull from a few weeks back.

Rae Hudspeth 1 year, 1 month ago

Always have a sturdy pair of shoes by the bed; extra water, MREs, a noise source and water in the basement in case we get trapped by debris; and the cat carrier is stored down there, too, so he won't get loose and run off if the roof should blow off the house.

Is that guy's name really Sam Fortune? Love it.

Machiavelli_mania 1 year, 1 month ago

This family does NOT do bread and milk. Bread and milk are NOT staples in this household. I stock up on reverse osmosis water, Ramen noodles for the offspring, Meats. Toilet paper. veggies (got the powdered veggie stuff now for juices, that will keep for longer). Tortillas and bagels. Dog and cat food. Soups.

We already had a plethora of candles. We also have a wood-burning stove that we did use on those snow days, which could have been used for cooking had the situation arose.

I think at this point, I have to commend the city for the great job they did on the roads. But I do miss the snow piled up on the middle of Mass. I loved seeing the snow banks in the middle of Mass. It was novel.

riverdrifter 1 year, 1 month ago

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 1 month ago

Well you darn well better prepare, Thanks to the sequester the Early Warning System is now about as useless as teats on a boar hog.

autie 1 year, 1 month ago

It would appear that the resondents were not clear on just what type of severe weather was the subject. Obviously snow and ice prep is far different than a tornado or a hurricance. I'm not sure what google search has to do with weather preparedness.

I keep abreast of short term forecast. If bad weather is potentially on the horizon I make sure to have plenty of beverages handy.

thebcman 1 year, 1 month ago

At least Kelly has a clue as to what the question was referring to.

Me, I make sure I have a good path cleared to the front yard, so I can go outside and look for the tornado when the sirens go off.

psycho_theclown 1 year, 1 month ago

It varies by locale. From now on, in Florida, I'm tying a rope from my waist to the car bumper.

Pywacket 1 year, 1 month ago

I always find it helpful to run in circles, scream, & shout.

inmate 1 year, 1 month ago

I keep my back to the wall in case the lights go out.

I tried using the LJWorld search bar to search for a user and it didn't work. Why is that? I finally tried Google and found them. Took me three spellings, but I wanted to see if H_Lecter was removed. Seems like the LJWorld search bar ought to be able to search for all of its online content.