Previous   Next

What was your favorite school lunch?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 24, 2013

Browse the archives

“Beef nachos. That’s the only time I didn’t bring a sack lunch.”

“I was home-schooled so I liked grilled cheese made by my mom.”

PB&J.”

Related story

Comments

George_Braziller 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Here's the worst school lunch EVER. A piece of baloney with the red plastic strip still attached, pushed into a muffin pan, an ice cream scoop of instant mashed potatoes with the consistency of dried cardboard, topped with greasy cheese, and baked at about 400 degrees.

You couldn't tell where melted plastic stopped and the burned baloney began because everything was swimming in a pool of yellow grease. I dreaded the days when "Potato Boats" were on the menu. Even as a starving 13 year old kid growing like a weed I couldn't choke it down. I tried a few times but it was so bad that if you ate it you had to get in line for the restroom after lunch.

jhawk1998 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Pizza. That was before I knew what restaurant pizza was. The worst ever a hoagie made with soy product.

L7 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Bologna sandwich on white bread with ketchup and the crust cut off. For a real special day mom would put potato chips on it.

kernal 9 months, 4 weeks ago

What ever the meat(s) of the day was/were plus mashed potatoes and gravy, potato salad, green beans or corn, cake with a brick of ice cream on top and two cartons of milk. Some days I had to stack my dishes of food on my tray. Fortuantely, I ran most of the calories off.

The_Big_W 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Beef tenderloin tips, Au Gratin potatoes, chocolate mousse

jane_doe 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Cosign on that chili and cinnamon rolls

and in high school....pasta bar!!!

Bunny_Hotcakes 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Chili and cinnamon rolls or GTFO

George_Braziller 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Had the same great cooks in grade and high school and I liked all the meals because. One cook did nothing but bake fresh bread every day. Junior high meals were something completely different. They were all ghastly.

scopi_guy 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Anything that wasn't Baloney Boats or Deep Sea Dandies (Jeff Co. offerings)

Topple 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Main dish: hexagon-shaped fiesta pizza Side dish: mashed potatoes and chicken-gravy.

The_Big_W 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Chicken fried steak, with mashed potato and gravy

tomatogrower 9 months, 4 weeks ago

When I went to school there must have been a raisin bumper crop, because they put raisins in everything. I still can't eat raisin bread or raisin cookies. I can eat raisins straight from the box, but not in anything. That being said whenever they didn't put raisins in them, the rolls were wonderful.

Ginny Hedges 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Chili and chocolate cake with fudge frosting.

grammaddy 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Pig in a blanket, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.