Previous   Next

What was your favorite school lunch?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 24, 2013

Browse the archives

“Beef nachos. That’s the only time I didn’t bring a sack lunch.”

“I was home-schooled so I liked grilled cheese made by my mom.”

PB&J.”

Related story

Comments

grammaddy 1 year, 5 months ago

Pig in a blanket, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.

Ginny Hedges 1 year, 5 months ago

Chili and chocolate cake with fudge frosting.

tomatogrower 1 year, 5 months ago

When I went to school there must have been a raisin bumper crop, because they put raisins in everything. I still can't eat raisin bread or raisin cookies. I can eat raisins straight from the box, but not in anything. That being said whenever they didn't put raisins in them, the rolls were wonderful.

Topple 1 year, 5 months ago

Main dish: hexagon-shaped fiesta pizza Side dish: mashed potatoes and chicken-gravy.

scopi_guy 1 year, 5 months ago

Anything that wasn't Baloney Boats or Deep Sea Dandies (Jeff Co. offerings)

trinity 1 year, 5 months ago

Baloney Boats rocked! As long as you didn't eat the baloney, lolol :)

George_Braziller 1 year, 5 months ago

Had the same great cooks in grade and high school and I liked all the meals because. One cook did nothing but bake fresh bread every day. Junior high meals were something completely different. They were all ghastly.

kernal 1 year, 5 months ago

What ever the meat(s) of the day was/were plus mashed potatoes and gravy, potato salad, green beans or corn, cake with a brick of ice cream on top and two cartons of milk. Some days I had to stack my dishes of food on my tray. Fortuantely, I ran most of the calories off.

jhawk1998 1 year, 5 months ago

Pizza. That was before I knew what restaurant pizza was. The worst ever a hoagie made with soy product.

George_Braziller 1 year, 5 months ago

Here's the worst school lunch EVER. A piece of baloney with the red plastic strip still attached, pushed into a muffin pan, an ice cream scoop of instant mashed potatoes with the consistency of dried cardboard, topped with greasy cheese, and baked at about 400 degrees.

You couldn't tell where melted plastic stopped and the burned baloney began because everything was swimming in a pool of yellow grease. I dreaded the days when "Potato Boats" were on the menu. Even as a starving 13 year old kid growing like a weed I couldn't choke it down. I tried a few times but it was so bad that if you ate it you had to get in line for the restroom after lunch.