Previous   Next

Do you think the city should require homes to have storm shelters?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 11, 2013

Browse the archives

“It should be up to the homeowner. You certainly improve your chances because sometimes a basement is not even enough.”

“I can see it, yeah.”

“If they do, a lot of people are going to need help. I know storm shelters can cost more than $3,000.”

“Yeah, definitely.”

Related story

Comments

melott 10 months, 2 weeks ago

We added a tornado shelter (above ground) to our house about 10 years ago. It cost about $5000, and is rated to withstand up through F4 tornados. Specs are available from FEMA. The walls are concrete with lots of rebar.

Uneek 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I lived in a mobile home for years. I am very happy to have my basement now for peace of mind if nothing else. I do think they should at least have community shelters in new neighborhoods. It is not a perfect solution but at least it is reasonable.

Kontum1972 10 months, 2 weeks ago

so how much will your taxes go up for having a tornado shelter in your home....and will Frizzel be the company contractor that will get the gig? First off Moore had one strike against it...and they gambled, then they got reamed again, I would of said goodbye and relocated some where else! Stupid is as stupid does....!

I lived through one tornado as a kid in grade school in wyandotte, county that tornado was not as severe as those two in Oklahoma, but it was scarey enough for me. Hey when its your time to go..its a done deal. So build your shelters....and mark your calendar when its completed so you have a running account of your investment. I will take my chances on the hill west of Lawrence where i have a beautiful view of the campus and the Dole Center. When the good Lord wants you...your toast!

ontheright 10 months, 2 weeks ago

ya more govt mandates is what we all need! What's next?

Starlight 10 months, 2 weeks ago

p>www.fraidyhole.com

The steel boxes dropped in the garage floor look like they'd save you.

We had the neighborhood tornado shelter when I was a kid. A nuclear bomb shelter was our back patio.

Liberty275 10 months, 2 weeks ago

When we bought our house back when, I thought about just burying a manhole in the back yard for a cheap shelter.

Then I stopped worrying about it.

kernal 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Is there even a FEMA approved above ground shelter that will withstand F4 or F5 tornadoes?

Some of those silly web sites advertising "tornado rooms" don't look like they'd even keep a case of Bud safe in a F3.

Liberal 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Inexpensive to add to a home. Should be mandated for all new construction slab homes.

jack22 10 months, 2 weeks ago

We probably should require storm shelters for all the cheaply made apartment buildings that continue to be built on the edge of town.

jimincountry 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Nope! Dopes!!~! They should first determine the most effective toilet paper for use by each age group! What a bunch of sheep.......just have government run your entire life, why not!

Russell Fryberger 10 months, 2 weeks ago

As long as they come with enough tin foil hats to cover everyone who enters.

reality_check79 10 months, 2 weeks ago

This topic is popular after the deadly storms in Oklahoma. The reason almost all of the buildings in Moore don't have basements is not due to ignorance as many have said in the media... The reason is that where Moore sits the soil is made up of mud and clay! Making building a basement very difficult due to the constant weather changes seen in that region. Moisture causes the clay to soften and expand where as warm dry weather causes it to firm and harden thus causing the foundations to crack and split. You can want shelters all you want but in some places the cost of repairing it and rebuilding it is enormous and just not realistic. Imagine home owners insurance if you had foundation issues every few years, add that to a tornado destroying your home, and the cost of rebuilding and no one could afford a home in parts of Oklahoma.

chootspa 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I think it's a reasonable requirement for new building codes, but retrofitting would be a problem.

50YearResident 10 months, 2 weeks ago

No Way! When is the last time a tornado hit Lawrence? A requirement like that would be the same as requiring everyone to have a 90 day supply of food and water on hand. The sky is not falling! Quit trying to run people's lives with stupid and unnecessary requirements. Next thing, the city will want to require all homes have earthquake insurance and to build houses to withstand a 6.0 quake.

BABBOY 10 months, 2 weeks ago

No. But, yes to public schools, day cares, and retirement homes.

Andini 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Yes...but I'm already set by being in my mom's basement 24/7.