Previous   Next

Do you think high schools should conduct random drug tests?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 7, 2013

Browse the archives

“ No, it should be up to the families and not the school.”

“ I think it depends. If there is a big issue then yes they should test, but it’s their decision if they (the students) want to screw up.”

“ No It’s just a bad idea. That’s not going to help them learn.”

“ No. Education has nothing to do with personal choices.”

Comments

Klumma 1 year, 11 months ago

Still am convinced. Not a good thing to do randomly to a high High school kid. Geez, how would it feel to be put to something like that alone in front of peers?

bad_dog 1 year, 11 months ago

How can one be alone in front of peers? Hmm. Methinks we need to drug test you.

Bill Lee 1 year, 11 months ago

I notice that no one over 30 was asked by the J-W. They might have gotten different results at the Senior Center.

That said, I personally do think it's an illegal invasion. It might be necessary, though, if the school has a problem with an abundance of students stoned in class.

Liberty275 1 year, 11 months ago

I suppose it is OK if a parent gives the school permission to search the student. If the parent does not give explicit permission it is an illegal search unless the police have a warrant.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

If they catch them...what are they going to do with them? They have no guts, the legal system is stacked against the administration and I would guess most of the parents that don't want the search are guilty themselves. So, in true lawrence form, lets just create ways to waste money and expose the taxpayer to more ways to squander money.

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

I think Rockhurst has some if the most hen pecking, helicoptering mothers I've ever seen. It's. o surprise they'd adopt something this intrusive. It's pathetic.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

I'd be reticent to encourage testing. It's irreverent of our constitution.

LadyJ 1 year, 11 months ago

Just think how much it would cost the school district (tax payers) to fight the ACLU on this. Wondering if the teachers are subjected to random drug/alcohol tests? I have seriously wondered about some of them in the past.

craig1216 1 year, 11 months ago

I believe that public schools have a responsiblity to report wrongdoing; however, I don't feel that it is their responsibility to SEEK wrongdoing.

rtwngr 1 year, 11 months ago

I say test! I also suggest corporal punishment for serious breeches of school policy. Most of you mush-minds need a good spanking.

whats_going_on 1 year, 11 months ago

Before high schools, I think they should do this for anyone receiving welfare. And on the first offense, they're SOL.

BlueWaffle 1 year, 11 months ago

I have no clue whats going on..... cough cough.... Is what it looks like all 4 of them said before they were offered some Burrito King and Scooby snacks. I practically got a contact buzz from these photos.

insearchofauniqueid 1 year, 11 months ago

Prairie Park Elementary just called and said that they are locking down the school due to an issue with a staffer and their spouse. After the killings in Conn. I think that all teachers and staffers should be drug free. If they are involved with drugs and than go to work their issues will follow them to where our children are.

Leave the kids alone, and test all these drugged up Lawrence USD497 staffers! ASAP!