Previous   Next

Do you have any upcycled or repurposed items?

Asked at Home Depot, 1910 West 31st Street on January 6, 2013

Browse the archives

“The big Planters peanuts containers, I use them for holding nuts and bolts. ”

“I just took a Cool Whip container for my markers ”

“Not that I can think of off the top of my head. ”

Comments

Kathy Getto 1 year, 3 months ago

My great great Uncle Ben's 44. Still serving its original purpose.

thuja 1 year, 3 months ago

Got some black gold compost cookin in the back yard.

prospector 1 year, 3 months ago

Can a sense of humor be upcycled?

Romans832 1 year, 3 months ago

I repurpose money that other people lose or leave behind by donating that money to charity.

Rara_Avis 1 year, 3 months ago

People today are still living off the table scraps of the '60s. They are still being passed around - the music and the ideas.

prospector 1 year, 3 months ago

Speaking of purpose, why is there an additional sign in on the BIG L or little yellow and green people parts of this awad winning website? It might drive eyeballs over there like you want because you know who is "first".

prospector 1 year, 3 months ago

I consider biosollids on the garden upcycling. Can't think of any other repurpose for BS that can be spoken about here.

CWGOKU 1 year, 3 months ago

The wife is also the dishwasher...

prospector 1 year, 3 months ago

No kidding, Bruce Springsteen is a master of repurposing, every one of his songs sound the same to me.

hedshrinker 1 year, 3 months ago

anything fabric gets re-used over and over...garden ties, fabrics stripped into rugs/potholders/placemats...I re-use the buttons, make patches and embellishments of the pockets/cuffs/button plackets/collars. Also dis-assemble clothes and put parts fr different garments together. Anything plastic and glass gets a good look for re-use: the clear ones for storage (I've learned if you can't see what's inside without removing the top, contents may be ignored until it's TOO late!) Colored glass makes good yard art. Wood and metal have multiple uses in the yard/garden/shop. Basically we only put out our new 30 gal trashbin every couple of weeks as most stuff goes to the recycling center (Defenbaugh bins at New York or Central, the big purple bin at the liquor store), the compost bin or is repurposed. We set out usable stuff on the curb after the trash gets picked up and it always disappears within 24 hours...good neighborhood freecycling.stuff moves fr one house to another).

rockchalker52 1 year, 3 months ago

My pleasure, prospector. I just upcycled some of my holiday blubber into a 3 & 1/2 mile walk with the doggie. Working it off one sugar cookie at a time. Next year I'm stickin' with the growlers. A beer belly beats a sweet tooth every time.

prospector 1 year, 3 months ago

Again, thanks for that shout out rockchalker52

prospector 1 year, 3 months ago

Free State Growlers have a purpose.

I am reticent to upcycle the LJW.

prospector 1 year, 3 months ago

I hear that Sea World has been know to reporpoise.

Liberty275 1 year, 3 months ago

When I drive the vette I recycle tire rubber into road surface.

labmonkey 1 year, 3 months ago

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 3 months ago

g_rock 1 year, 3 months ago

Upcycle is a silly term to make things made out of toilet paper tubes sound fancy. Or to make folks spending hours on pintrest feel self important. Congratulations....you are saving the planet one toilet paper tube and glitter project at a time.

autie 1 year, 3 months ago

CWGOKU 1 year, 3 months ago

Huh?................ who gives a flip

prospector 1 year, 3 months ago

RoeDapple 1 year, 3 months ago

I have an old tar barrel I repurposed to a burn barrel. WHEW! Shoulda seen the smoke from that one the first time I fired it!

disappointed_regressive 1 year, 3 months ago

I have a bin in the basement that I throw any clean cardboard containers likeempty Kleenex boxes or empty cracker boxes etc., used copy papers, junk mail, some paper bags etc to use to start fires---vs. throwing them in the trash......anything paper that's not got anything that would draw bugs like food or grease.

none2 1 year, 3 months ago

I learned something interesting about regular recycling -- specifically paper recycling. A lot of recycle paper is shipped to China to make recycled paper products to compete against American paper manufacturing. Actually there were a lot of interesting details about the decline of the paper industry specifically in Wisconsin in this in depth story:

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 3 months ago

More and more these days, the comments here get downcycled into oblivion.

prospector 1 year, 3 months ago

Grammaddy, It is too bad that management doesn't get it. You are screwed if you can't laugh at yourself.

prospector 1 year, 3 months ago

I line the birdcage with the LJW.

WOOF

Bill Lee 1 year, 3 months ago

I've reused a couple of CD package tops. I turn them over and put small items in the short one and pens/pencils in the tall one. I've also reused the empty paper cases I've bought. They used to hold new reems of paper, and now they hold used paper that I'm too lazy to file. I keep my stray nuts and bolts in an old spice jar.

labmonkey 1 year, 3 months ago

I figured that Roe and Autie have turned several old vehicles into yard-art.

rockchalker52 1 year, 3 months ago

Ditto, autie, on the coffee containers. We have a couple of em full of bacon grease. They're in the freezer & the contents are used for the birdie's suet cakes. There's also a bunch of junk in the barnette. I want to make some yard art out of it, but the more likely outcome is Sanford & Son redux.

I missed out on this R_I bizness. Gone, eh? That's a revoltin' development.

grammaddy 1 year, 3 months ago

"Questionon the street" or whatever they call it is always good for a laugh first thing in the morning. Thanks for putting a smile on my Monday Autie and Eddie!

autie 1 year, 3 months ago

The plastic three pounds of coffee containers. We use them for many things. The used butter tubs are the new tupperware. I'm thinking on how to upcycle Ronaldo now. He always needs a purpose...or repurpose whatever the case may be. Such a narrow view was never the rule of the day when Whitley was riding herd.

Gandalf 1 year, 3 months ago

RoeDapple 1 year, 3 months ago

My pewter beer mug from the Stables has long served me as a pocket change receptacle.

RoeDapple 1 year, 3 months ago

prospector 1 year, 3 months ago

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 3 months ago

"Upcycled"

That implies a better use than original. Wouldn't that make its first use rather disappointing?

The kiddo played in the giant box that a multi-hundred dollar gift came in. I guess turning a box into a toy would be upcycling.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 3 months ago

“The big Planters peanuts containers, I use them for holding nuts and bolts. ”

Didn't Planters use them to hold nuts first?

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 3 months ago

No, but Dick Chaney said we used enhanced interrogation techniques, meaning KSM drank 85,000 gallons of water. WTH do upcycled and repurposed mean? Does anybody speak English anymore? Do you mean used? I could sure use a repurposed car right now. There was a lot of nondiscretionary fragrance at the library today. Not just BO, patchouli too. I'd have to ask Bea and RI, but they aren't here. And here I am, a Scottish-American employment-challenged caucasian male with a foul mouth and a dirty mind. Is this the meaning of life? Somebody must be punking me.