Previous   Next

Would you want to know if a violent criminal or sex offender lived in your neighborhood?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 5, 2013

Browse the archives

“ Maybe a little. If I had a kid I’d be more inclined.”

“ I don’t necessarily think it’s a big thing I need to know about. Knowing where they are doesn’t stop them from committing violent crimes.”

“ Yes, but I don’t feel like in this country you should have to divulge that information. Maybe for sex offenders.”

“ “It should be accessible. But I would be almost nervous to look at it.”

Related story

Comments

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 8 months ago

Nope. None of my business. I'm assuming if this person is known by the legal system, then they've already been caught, charged,convicted and sentenced. I don't think that pedophiles or serial killers are reformable people. However, if they've been subjected to established sentencing guidelines and served a sentence I don't think they should be further ostracized. The people that are really into this are the creeps that watch "To Catch a Predator", that idiotic show where dashing buttwipe Chris Hansen gets to have fun embarrasing these hard-up slobs who have usually been lied to on the internet by underage trollops.

Armstrong 1 year, 8 months ago

Do you also believe criminals obey gun laws too ?

gphawk89 1 year, 8 months ago

"caught, charged,convicted and sentenced" So does all that somehow render them harmless and we no longer need to worry about them?

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 8 months ago

I mostly feel reticently irreverent about the whole thing. I want my boy RI back here. Now.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

Ain't the internet great? If somebody new moves into my neighborhood I can know more about them than they know about themselves before the last piece of furniture is taken from the truck.

♣Free R_I!♣

Rudy101 1 year, 8 months ago

If you want to know who is violent in the neighborhood? Just look around, almost everyone is, at some point in their life.

The sex offender registry? Is an ex-post facto illegal law that ONLY makes desperate outcasts who have nothing to lose.

But keep building shame based public registries. It will make you FEEL safe, but it won't make you safe.

PRISONS is what you do best! Better than anyone in the whole world. You love guns more than anyone else in the whole world also.

A desperate guy leaving prison who can find a gun infinitely easier than a job is the society you have.

Build more registries. The courts have said you can put anyone you want on it, at any time you want and the only caveat is they need a conviction. An insanely easy proposition in the most incarcerated country in the world.

To be safe, you will have to destroy even the feeling of freedom.

If anyone is wondering, I will NEVER go on a registry BECAUSE it strips a person of safety and/or security. That is a FACT and easily proven. Because everyone ignores that, doesn't make it invalid or your registry legal. Sorry.

Liberty275 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe we should sew stars on all their shirts.

Armstrong 1 year, 8 months ago

Excellent idea for the sex offender crowd

kawrivercrow 1 year, 8 months ago

Sex offenders can never repay their debt to society They leave a legacy of pain that lives long after they themselves are dead. It is only a sign of our weak society that we allow them to walk free after serving such a paltry sentence.

gypsy33911 1 year, 8 months ago

Sorry. half are Romeo and Juliet cases where a teenager just had more hormones than brains and a willing, even aggressive girl. Then what about the 1/3 that are falsly accused? Or the old man peeing a bush because he can't make it to a bathroom? You must be one of those that still believes the urban myth that 90% are reoffenders and must be permanently removed from society. The actual average reoffense rate is 8.5%. And recovery of children...never? BS. Children are very resilent and most recover fully...those that don't have people like you constantly teaching them they will never be OK so they never get permission to be OK. .

Armstrong 1 year, 8 months ago

You seem intent on making excuses for people who commit sex crimes. Why ?

kawrivercrow 1 year, 8 months ago

RE gypsy33911: In the case of 'romeo and juliet' and urinating in bushes, I agree with you. However, that merely supports the very valid argument that those people are inappropriately miscategorized as sex offenders, not that sexually predatory behavior is benign.

As for your rate of 8.5%...I do not believe that claim at all. I suspect you are using the public urinator subcategory to dilute the real incidence of recidivism in the true sex predator subcategory.

As or the 'resilience of children' and full recovery of most...I call 100% BS!! My line of work has placed my in close personal knowledge of 100s of adults who have been the victims of sex predators and virtually every single one of them has scars and maladaptive processes that have impaired or impeded their pathway to a normal, healthy emotional and/or physical state as an adult. Likewise, I have been exposed to many sex predators. They frequently display a distorted, narcissistic sense of self-entitlement and a blame-the-victim attitude. This, combined with sexually obsessive tendencies, makes true rehabilitation unlikely.

It is very probable that your dismissive perspective has much to do with a personal proclivity for sexually predatory behavior or that you are one of the occasional 'Stockholm syndrome' types of victim who is so damaged they actually display a codependent tendency to side with the perpetrator. Perhaps both.

Rudy101 1 year, 8 months ago

Group studies are helpful in order to understand. Your experience may be helpful to society to try and limit sexual abuse. The problem becomes if a person doesn't fit your stereotype.

Do you believe the registry is there to protect society or to punish offenders?

See, you may be right about most of those on the registry and you are certainly wrong about some. You have a system that was legislatively created and doesn't distinguish between people, or does it in the most superficial manner.

Again,do you believe the registry as it is, protects the community?

Becasue setting up a system that only provokes, isolates and puts a person's life in disarray is ridiculous as a public safety measure. There needs to be a courtroom and independent judges who makes decisions on who is dangerous and who is not and restrictions flow from that.

YOU are not in that position, the public is not in that position and certainly a legislature inherently is not in that position to determine anyone dangerous.

I laugh at the registry and registry laws. I refuse to follow them. I can do that BECAUSE the registry strips a person of safety and/or security, has no due process and is applied ex-post facto.

Free countries do everything they can not to misapply labels and hold individual freedom to the highest ideal. The registry and registry laws takes that, even decades after a sentence is served and there is no process to challenge legislatively determined dangerousness.

So, whether you are right or not is immaterial. Therei s a legal system that was built in order to protect people from arbitrary governmental action. That system has been side-stepped for expediency. I know it doesn't matter to you, but it does to me. Funny how I beat your stupid illegal registry, isn't it?

Liberty275 1 year, 8 months ago

There is no debt to society. There is crime and there is punishment.

Caz Snwot 1 year, 8 months ago

I would have said know several years ago, but one day I found out that the guy across the street was a sex offender... a man I actually had great trust in... when I did a little more research I found out he got caught drugging and raping 27 year old men.... I just happened to be a 27 year old man at the time.... The don't just rape kiddies anymore.

labmonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

I figured it had to do with an unfortunate cod-piece choice before going out in the wild.

labmonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

The registry does need to be reformed somewhat. Child molesters and rapists certainly need to be on the registry, but the lewd and lascivious behavior violators who were convicted because they mooned someone or took a leak on the side of the road do not need to be on the list.

gypsy33911 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe the registry should be restricted to the police so untrained idiots who don't know any facts do not make recovery and restoration of an individual impossible. Our local police force tells me only about 10% are those they worry about.

gypsy33911 1 year, 8 months ago

At some point our want to know about other people exceeds our right to know. Besides to date with decades behind us of data, the registry and residency restrictions have done absolutely nothing to prevent additional crimes. The data just does NOT support the expense even for 1 child.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 8 months ago

That's what you get for shoveling your sidewalk.

gphawk89 1 year, 8 months ago

In the past, I couldn't have cared less. Now that I have a 6yo running around in our yard, I definitely care. Since he came onto the scene, I've checked the S.O. registry for our subdivision (as well as police and court records) and generally know which houses to avoid.

I do agree that the S.O. registry needs to be revamped somehow, though. Placing someone caught urinating in public in the same category as a serial child molester makes no sense.

And knowing where they live doesn't always help. The guy that the cops picked up last month who was repeatedly seen masturbating at the entrance to our subdivision (in the middle of a weekday, right alongside a busy street) didn't live anywhere near where he was caught.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 8 months ago

With the Information Age, The LJW has officially become the Lawrence Nosey News Rag. So now we're publishing daily Douglas County arrest logs? It's jail, you idiots. Meaning most of these people haven't been convicted of anything yet. So what's the point, shaming people into behaving? Thankfully, the printed version of this joke is almost history. Then the LJW will start charging people to subscribe to the website, which no sane person will do, except for a few nosey hicks. Then bye-bye Nosey News. Lookin' forward to it.......

Liberty275 1 year, 8 months ago

"Would you want to know if a violent criminal or sex offender lived in your neighborhood?"

If it doesn't violate the criminal's rights you can send me a postcard. Or not. Either way is fine with me.

Liberty275 1 year, 8 months ago

She spent too much rime calling people zombies.

Carol Bowen 1 year, 8 months ago

I want to know who has high powered rifles in the neighborhood.

Rudy101 1 year, 8 months ago

Soon you will know who the crack-heads are, the wife beaters are, the drunk drivers are, the assaulters are, the thieves are, the cheaters, along with the sex offenders. BUT, what will happen is, everyone will validate themselves, not by who they are, but by pointing at the group that seems to be agreed upon that is beneath them.

Highly stratified societies are not uncommon. India is a perfect example of one. EVERYONE is better than an "untouchable." in India.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

Knew a guy who had one similar to this, only it was a legal handgun in 4 gauge. Condition of sale was he had to shoot it. He did but never shot it again . . . or wanted to.

Rudy101 1 year, 8 months ago

Guns don't kill people, stupid people who shouldn't have guns kill people. Or more likely, kill themselves. Well, I am sure someday some kid will blow his hands off with this cool gun he got (guns last forever and don't come with disclaimers) that has no business even being manufactured.

kansanbygrace 1 year, 8 months ago

This is not to say that we shouldn't be aware of those around us. We should. However the hysteria about "sex offenders" being unchangeable is obviously, demonstrably false.

"The percentages rearrested (but not necessarily guilty) for the "same category of offense" for which they were most recently in prison for were: 13.4% of released robbers 22.0% of released assaulters 23.4% of released burglars 33.9% of released larcenists 19.0% of released defrauders 41.2% of released drug offenders 2.5% of released rapists

Contrary to popular belief, as a group, sex offenders have the lowest rate of recidivism of all the crime categories." Author of this, Paul Heroux previously worked in a prison and in jail. He holds a master's in criminology from the University of Pennsylvania and a master's in public administration from the Harvard University JFK School of Government.

mom_of_three 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, I wanted to know where the sex offenders lived, and I have been checking the KBI site since my kids were small. And I know the difference between a predator and a "romeo and juliet," There was a predator living close to my folks' house and they weren't even aware. Should that info be available? sure.

hotel69 1 year, 8 months ago

I want to know. Could not live with myself if something happened to one of my kids because I did not know my neighbor was a baby molester.

MurrayR 1 year, 8 months ago

Perhaps I would like to know if there is. We really can't trust people most especially those we don't know or shall we call it, stranger. We may not judge people we don't know, but we really have to be extra careful when it comes to the safety of our family. So as a mother, I thought of searching for a safety protection for my whole family. Thanks to my friend who introduce me this mobile-based application. This application can be great help when you're in danger situation, it is called the help button. The use of this help button is to notify trusted friends and family or if really needed gets to the nearest 911. It's very reliable when it comes to real emergency, they can give an immediate response so this application can save lives. If you want your family to be protected, you should also try this apps too. Check it here: http://safekidzone.com/