Previous   Next

Do you think downtown Lawrence should be classified by the city commission as a “cultural district”?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 12, 2013

Browse the archives

“ I think all that stuff is silly. I mean, yeah, if it can get more grant money, but it seems like it does well down here anyway.”

“ I don’t see a negative reason or outcome. Why not?”

“ Well, it’s the most cultural place in town.”

“ “I feel like it’s not a cultural area.”

Comments

profound 1 year, 5 months ago

It would need to have some culture first.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm with you. I don't care to spend any time downtown anymore, and I've lived here on and off since 1974.

appleaday 1 year, 5 months ago

It beats being designated a dark spiritual area.

LadyJ 1 year, 5 months ago

Plot to raise the property taxes of surrounding homes in the area.

LadyJ 1 year, 5 months ago

I remember the year the Riverfront mall was built, the value of our property took a huge leap and the taxes skyrocketed.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

The value of your property took a huge leap, and the taxes went up? Seems to me that would have been a good time to sell. I know a man that did exactly that right about that time with his property in Old West Lawrence, and he did very well. Today, he lives in a 9th floor condo in another city, and he doesn't regret his move in the least.

But, he's getting up there in years, and taking care of the yard was getting to be a bit too much. And, on the 9th floor, there's no snow to scoop, he likes that part of it too.

pace 1 year, 5 months ago

Better than declaring it a dark spiritual. District.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 5 months ago

East Hills is the "Smart Corridor"...... hmmmmmmmmmm

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

---like, dude, where do you think "grant money" comes from? does it grow on trees?
no. it has to be taxed, or borrowed against uture taxes.