Previous   Next

Members of the Kansas Legislature want to make Kansas University legally obligated to play Wichita State University in basketball. Do you think the Legislature should determine whom KU plays in basketball?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway on February 5, 2013

Browse the archives

“No, I don’t think so. I just feel like they should be focusing on prime government functions like improving infrastructure and education and jobs and not worrying about basketball.”

“I would think taxpayer’s money should go toward making laws or college or something. Definitely not basketball.”

“No. No one should be made to play anyone else.”

“No. It’s not really their concern. They should be busy with other things than college basketball.”

Related story

Comments

Bruce Rist 1 year, 2 months ago

I think there is precedence here. Doesn’t Iowa and Iowa State have to play each other? Doesn’t matter, really. Just curious

sjgreen 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree with others in that this isn't anything the legislature should be worrying about. Also, I'm pretty sure this all comes down to money -- WSU will make money on a game with KU. That sounds to me like socialism since KU would be forced to share money with WSU. Once again, conservatives are being inconsistent and choosing a big government socialist intervention in a situation that doesn't require government involvement at all.

2002 1 year, 2 months ago

Wouldn't it be a penalty to be forced to be it Wichita for any period of time? Maybe the could play in Salina. Would WSU be force to play KSU also?

BABBOY 1 year, 2 months ago

I assume it is just a bill some idiot WSU Alum sponsored. It is one of those watch this hand while the other hand takes your billfold things.

They will waste time on it and stupid newspapers will jump all over (like this one did).

Then, everyone will ignore the more substantive bills.

You know the ones where they change the State constitution so they can control the judicial system.

Or, where they change the Kansas Constitution so they do not have to properly finance the schools.

Or, how about where they pass laws taking away basic rights from the middle class so as to let big business do whatever they want without being held accountable.

Anyway, I could give a crap about whether or KU or KSU has to play WSU. WSU does not have a football team so who cares?

However, it is lame that KU and KSU think themselves so important that have dodged playing WSU for 3 decades now.

So, if they are going to waste time on it, I guess it would be funny if it passed to see what happens if they are forced to play each other.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 2 months ago

No, the legislature should have no say in it. Yes, KU should play WSU. I love me some Saint Self, but I am confused by his stance on this. It isn't a, "we don't have anything to gain" issue. I'm afraid it is, "we have so much to lose" issue with him.

msezdsit 1 year, 2 months ago

The more time we can get the legislature to spend on stuff like this the less damage and carnage and embarrassment they can bring to the state. KU and WSU and KSU should play each other. KU doesn't want to play WSU because they essentially win that game without playing it. If they had to play it they would only expose themselves to a chance of losing it. Therefore, KU has nothing to gain by playing WSU. The shockers , since mark turgeon and now greg marshall have elevated their program to be able to compete with KU. Don't think they would win many but KU couldn't take the night off and expect to win.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 2 months ago

Really? The Legislature needed yet another way to demonstrate their incompetence?