Previous   Next

What do you think of Bill Self’s new contract that lasts until 2022 and pays him nearly $4 million annually?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 29, 2012

Browse the archives

“ Money well spent. I don’t think there’s another coach who could do better.”

“ We are talking millions of dollars. Think of how many people you could hire. Nobody’s worth that.”

“ I like it because my wife doesn’t. It helps assure that KU stays on top.”

“ What is the average salary in the English department? Just asking.”

Comments

SofaKing 1 year, 6 months ago

The players get nothing. Tuition, food, dorm, really insignificant "compensation" compared with their value and compared with Bill Self's contract. The players are the true value of KU basketball. They are exploited for 4 years and after that KU has no use for them. College athletes should be paid.

Carol Bowen 1 year, 6 months ago

Are we headed toward the same priorities as Penn State, its administration and community? Is winning so important that all else becomes secondary?

riverdrifter 1 year, 6 months ago

"I'll bet he doesn't waste money on any of that crap they call McDonald's." Self and his staff are regulars at Yellow Sub. Man, those guys can eat!

budwhysir 1 year, 6 months ago

what do they do when they run out of money???? Oh wait thats right they can just go to the city and ask for a tax to be put on something to raise the money. I would say this would be a great salary to have so long as the school never goes broke....

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

I'll bet he doesn't waste money on any of that crap they call McDonald's.

Eddie, If that's your best attempt at humor, keep your day job. Associating an illegal activity with one of the most successful and classiest coaches around is just plain absurd. Where have I heard that before?

Larry Sturm 1 year, 6 months ago

Just wondering how many professors could be hired and how much building maintenance could be done with that kind of money.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 6 months ago

I have heard the guy who's paying him is a degenerate gambler. I'm not saying it's true, it's just something I heard,.

beatrice 1 year, 6 months ago

"How much money does the English Department produce for the university?"

Seriously? Given that every undergraduate is required to take English courses, I suspect the department brings in plenty. Far more importantly, the English Department actually does something toward fulfilling the mission of the UNIVERSITY -- you know, that whole higher education thing they have going. KU isn't a sports franchise first. Geez.

That said, KU does have a heck of an internationally recognized sports franchise and Bill Self has helped grow that franchise. He earns every dollar he makes because he is one of the best in his field and his field has many fans willing to pay big bucks. I think such a long term contract is fantastic for KU basketball. The university should benefit if he remains successful.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 6 months ago

It's the entertainment business. People can make big bucks with a good act.

prospector 1 year, 6 months ago

We all know that coach re-upped because of the state income tax cuts, right? and the jobs created helping him spend it.

Chris Ogle 1 year, 6 months ago

Good coach and all...... but is that really fair? Just think how much time the poor guy will have to spend managing all that money.

CWGOKU 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't really care, as long as he is happy and stays. I do know that if I ever run into him in a bar, he is buying.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 6 months ago

He is well worth the money. No taxpayer or tuition funds were used. Good work, Zenger.

"I don't think about what others make. You all make more or less than I do. SO?" Prospector

Exactly.

prospector 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't think about what others make. You all make more or less than I do. SO?

I think it is flippin stupid that when you go to a story with the Big L or the little green and orange people, the website has no flippin idea who I am logged in as.

Bill Lee 1 year, 6 months ago

How much money does the English Department produce for the university?

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

what is that in bong hits?

Steve Miller 1 year, 6 months ago

Nobody in the world is worth that much money.. It is not reasonable.

rockchalker52 1 year, 6 months ago

Coach is lucky this isn't France.