Previous   Next

What do you think about the idea to install security cameras downtown?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 18, 2012

Browse the archives

“People might be embarrassed by it, but at least people are now aware their actions in public are going to be seen.”

“I don’t see the reason for it. Lawrence to me has always been a really peaceful town.”

“I think it’s a good idea. If people are going to be in public, they shouldn’t do anything they’d be afraid to have on camera.”

“I feel like it might be embarrassing for some people, especially outside the bars.”

Related story

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 7 months ago

No reason to establish a police state. These camera's cannot prevent crime necessarily. Why does Lawrence need this privacy invaders?

Not only that I would rather city hall fix sidewalks in Old East Lawrence which is constructive and in need.

For a city that's always broke they seem to find money for pet and not necessary projects in addition to millions in tax dollar give away requests.

My_Life 1 year, 7 months ago

Along with the newer RFID chips in flu shots, this will make Lawrence a much safer place. Criminals can be apprehended before they ever get a chance to commit a crime. Maybe they can even prosecute those jaywalkers that are always crossing Mass between intersections. Praise Jesus and Jerry!

Bob_Loblaw 1 year, 7 months ago

From the actual article: "...Khatib previously has said the two to three cameras likely would be monitored during large events such as parades and community celebrations downtown. He also hopes eventually to have a system in place that would allow footage to be recorded and kept for about 48 hours in order for officers to review the tapes, if needed as part of an investigation..."

What's the big deal?...unless you have something to be ashamed of... Large downtown events are filmed live by channel 6 already....I've ID'd quite a few people from that...and you are filmed/recorded already by many stores you go into (all convenience stores and more). You have by no right that can be cited, any expectation of privacy in a public place. I say go for it. Good luck ACLU...

Kat Christian 1 year, 7 months ago

I think the money could be spent on more pressing things in the city, i.e. better sidewalks, better signage, speed humps on some residential streets. Hey, how about sending some of that money to our district education for the schools? Naw, that would be too right. Instead, legal voyeurs are needed now to watch the young college students get drunk and crazy, Instead of doing a more responsible thing such as limiting bars and closing them earlier and making it illegal to have parties past midnight. Nope, watching young kids - now that is going to solve a lot of Lawrence's issues. I'm laughing at the irony of it all.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 7 months ago

Why not, can't tell who is who on most security camera pictures when there is a crime -----------

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

I think I'd rather hang out with an old man.

riverdrifter 1 year, 7 months ago

They could make a live feed of the cams available to all the bars downtown. Sort of a self-fulfilling entertainment option, watching fellow drunks stumble out onto the street. Seriously, while I'm deep into wildlife/trail cameras with three deployed right now, I don't have much enthusiasm for government doing this. Having said that, a business owner or resident who wants to have a cam monitoring their business or home and its immediate surroundings has every right to do so.

BABBOY 1 year, 7 months ago

Man, didn't any of you see Diehard: Live Free or Die Hard. More camaras just means the computer hackers can get ya......

(Actually no strong opinion on it but probably opposed to it on freedom issues)

g_rock 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe the city is counting on KU winning a championship this spring and creating an even bigger whooha downtown? Rock Chalk!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 7 months ago

Was there some tragic event on Mass St. that prompted this? - T_O_B

Last week there were 1,571 pages of new regulations added to the Federal Register.

CWGOKU 1 year, 7 months ago

I'll have to ball cap it, since I am having a bad hair day. Don't want to look bad on camera

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 7 months ago

Was there some tragic event on Mass St. that prompted this?

RoeDapple 1 year, 7 months ago

"When will it end."

As you can see, FEMA and CDC are preparing for it . . . Soon I would say . . .

RoeDapple 1 year, 7 months ago

"When will it end."

12/21/2012

-RoeDy-

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't know yet. I'm still getting ready for Y2K. Besides, somebody told me that urinating in public is a sex offense.

Sharon Nottingham 1 year, 7 months ago

Due to the alley rapes, I think several cameras should be located there insread of Mass.

prospector 1 year, 7 months ago

What do I think about it? Not much. You know if someone takes your picture, they can steal your soul.

g_rock 1 year, 7 months ago

It would be entertaining for the peeps that watch a Mass St cam. But I could think of a few neighborhoods where it would be a better idea....

grammaddy 1 year, 7 months ago

Me thinks Big Brother has arrived.

RoeDapple 1 year, 7 months ago

meh . . .mostly all I see in mine are raccoons and opossums, an occasional deer . . .

Andini 1 year, 7 months ago

Person of Interest comes to Lawrence.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah then we'll have a chance to capture the Mass Street Big Foot on camera! He's been digging in the dumpsters and I always have to clean up after him. And he drinks a lot of booze and never bathes and when it's really dark he'll collect bottles and cans to buy BF chow

birdsandflowers 1 year, 7 months ago

At any time or place, a crime can happen . . . I think security cameras should be everywhere! If you're honest, what difference does it make; if you're not., it could help solve a crime.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

Why? The man ain't my momma.