Previous   Next

Would you ever keep chickens in your backyard?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 16, 2012

Browse the archives

“Well yeah, for eggs for sure, but cleaning up after them would be nasty.”

“ Never. Too much work and too loud. ”

“ Yeah, I think I would. It would be a fun pet and if I had rude neighbors they wouldn’t like it. ”

Comments

Flap Doodle 1 year, 7 months ago

That's a nice Buff Orpington you got there. Be a shame if something happened to it.

scopi_guy 1 year, 7 months ago

My backyard neighbor keeps some. They're pretty quiet, I didn't know they were there until I saw the coop.

They can make a mess, though. We used to keep about 25 of them, and every other month would have to go out to the chicken house with a big shovel and a trashcan. A few hours of scooping later, the ceiling got about 4" further away from my head than it had been.

I have never been able to make as good of a merrangue as I made with those fresh eggs. The only downside is always having to break each egg into a bowl before actually using it...just in case.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 7 months ago

"What the hell is with all these bomb threats?" RI

I'm wondering what in the hell is with all these people getting run over by trains.

"These kind of issues just make the legitimate recreational use of explosives tougher for those of us who are responsible explosive users." RI

Maybe your wife called it in due to the oven issue from yesterday.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 7 months ago

And now a bomb threat on LSU campus.

What the hell is with all these bomb threats?

rockchalker52 1 year, 7 months ago

R_I, about a dozen years ago, give or take a couple years, we stocked the pond with 100 catfish, 100 bass, 100 perch & 100 bluegill. Also a couple grass carp. When full, it is 15 feet deep in the middle. I bet there isn't 5 feet in depth right now. The fish might as well be sardines in a can. The herons have found some easy fishin', the wasteful bastids.

Antonym 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes, but the free roaming neighbors cats would have to go bye bye. City regs say they aren't supposed to be running loose anyway.

Andini 1 year, 7 months ago

I love to watch the chicks up on campus.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 7 months ago

Rockchalker52,,
Besides chicken feathers, what do you have stocked in your pond?

Dixie Jones 1 year, 7 months ago

couldnt be any worse than my neighbors stinking dog pens and barking dogs who bark all night and day , but the owner cant hear them,

RaynRavyn 1 year, 7 months ago

Oh yeah. Have a small flock out there now. (about 25 hens and a couple roos) Also have ducks, rabbits, geese, and a turkey. They are all tasty, tasty critters...

RaynRavyn 1 year, 7 months ago

My_Life 1 year, 7 months ago

Me and Indyan have chickens. He gets really upset every time he sees them pecking small gravel. I keep telling Him it's all just crushed oyster shell, but he's way too smart to fall for that.

riverdrifter 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't want no stinking chickens but I'll buy a dozen eggs a week from anybody who does.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 7 months ago

Absolutely!!!!!

Beautiful bright yokes.......

Flap Doodle 1 year, 7 months ago

The lemurs would get jealous.

g_rock 1 year, 7 months ago

One of my friends out in the country has chickens. But I don't think that my college neighbors in the apartment would enjoy the clucking and crowing and poo. I do like eggs though. I would need to grow some bloody marys too to go with the eggs.

gbulldog 1 year, 7 months ago

It would depend on my residence. I grew up on a farm and we had a hundred plus. These animals were used as food. A large town is not a place to raise chickens. There are too many preditors to deal with. These included cats and sticky fingered preditors. Another dificulty about raising chickens in town is noise. An upset chicken is not a good layer. And for good disease control, facilities should be movable.

Mary Darst 1 year, 7 months ago

hahaha....I would like some guineas.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 7 months ago

It depends on volume. Rotisserie is 2 max on chickens. 6 to 8 easily on the smoker.Got a big family. When they all are coming, the smoker is going.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

oh no...D. Tom!! deep six the rotisserie (that's french)...keep the slow smoke going. I like the beer can up the behind for that with some cheap white wine and lots of lemons..viola!! \

uggadyboogadyboo 1 year, 7 months ago

Two weeks ago chickens showed up in the backyard and I wish that the ex Notre Dame coach would come get the out.

Punk

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 7 months ago

I keep chickens in my backyard all the time: At about 250 degrees F with some apple or cherry wood for about 4 hours. Good Chickens!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 7 months ago

Everyone should. But use chicken nipples for water.

George_Braziller 1 year, 7 months ago

My neighbor across the alley had chickens. Didn't even know that she had them because they were so quiet. However she added one that drove me crazy.

I don't know what breed it was but it had a really loud obnoxious cackle. Sounded just like one of the chicken vending machines that starts cackling when you put the money in and eventually "lays" a plastic egg with a prize inside. I was ready to make chicken and noodles out of that one.

tange 1 year, 7 months ago

I am not my chickens' keeper.

/ I am suburban

number3of5 1 year, 7 months ago

If my town allowed chickens, I would definitely have them and rabbits also.....

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 7 months ago

Not only would, but have done this, if fact they were all over the yard front and back, one piece of advice if you drop your gum, leave it lay don't try to find it

rockchalker52 1 year, 7 months ago

A former neighbor built a less than stellar chicken coop. There was always a pile of feathers down by our pond along with the fattest raccoons in the county.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

My dogs probably wouldn't think too highly of that. But, yeah, I've thought about it.

RoeDapple 1 year, 7 months ago

The owls and coyotes would like that . . .