Previous   Next

What do you think Kansas University could do to improve as a university?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 12, 2012

Browse the archives

“I think one thing they can do is up the security and cops watching the students, especially the ones that don’t live in Lawrence. ”

“The faculty members are limited. When they say KU is 105 or 106, it doesn’t necessarily mean the programs.”

“More focus on academics and less on sports.”

“Better interdepartmental communication when it comes to course work.”

Related story

Comments

avarom 2 years, 3 months ago

Move to California...land of the fruits, nuts and flakes!!

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 3 months ago

Manhattan smells. KU could improve by raising it's admission standards, but then wouldn't make as much from tuition.

fiddleback 2 years, 3 months ago

...perhaps standards such as requiring that folks know the difference between its (possessive) and it's (contraction for it is/was/has)...

fiddleback 2 years, 3 months ago

But I have the love of Jesus in my heart for you, my son.

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 3 months ago

No you don't! You have the devils hate! Satan is upon you! Die spawn of Lucifer!

beerbaron03 2 years, 3 months ago

Something tells me that you don't know what a Communist actually is.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

I gained more conservative views during my time at KU. I learned critical thinking and look at each issue separately, now my views are all over the board. One thing I learned NOT to do, is make sweeping generalizations about something you know nothing about.

labmonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

autie-

When visiting KU before I went to college, my impression was the same as SageonPage when it came to the history department. You go to Pittstate, you find you have a variety of professors in its history department which makes for a well rounded history education (I just needed hours to graduate my last semester so I took a boatload of history classes). History of the Middle east was taught by a liberal, America in the 20th century by a moderate Republican, I could not tell which way the US Presidents professor leaned because he did an excellent job arguing devil's advocate both ways (which perhaps made him the best history professor), WWI, WWII, and Vietnam were taught by a conservative, and Europe 1500-1800 was taught by a venerated, but ancient lady where current politics never entered the discussion.

Unless things have changed, I doubt you see this variety of viewpoints at KU.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

"I think one thing they can do is up the security and cops watching the students, especially the ones that don’t live in Lawrence. ” Because nothing says higher education like increased police surviellance, especially if you imagine you are in East Germany.

Topple 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope her response is more due to lack of time to provide a thoughtful response and less due to thinking we need more big brother.

JackMcKee 2 years, 3 months ago

Hire a chancellor that's not an idiot.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

I'd suggest KU hold Free Monkey Friday once a month.

begin60 2 years, 3 months ago

Ban street harassment. Get a clue, people. You are not helping, and it's insulting to approach complete strangers for discriminatory reasons. Everyone deserves to feel safe from ignorance and abuse in public. Feminists do not take to people who get up in their personal space even for the questionably courteous reason of opening doors for random strangers.

blindrabbit 2 years, 3 months ago

KU struggles to reverse the trend of declining academic standing at the same time The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences wants to gut the Western Civ. Program. , My guess is that many students in L&S have their only exposure to higher education via the Western Civ. requirement. Seems to me that KU is more interested in greasing the skids for students in the job world than maintaining a quality university education. The state is full of community colleges, for profits and vo-techs to satisfy those needs, that not being the role of the State's "Flagship" (according to KU officials) university.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

From what I've read, they'd better dust off the welcome mat some more & amp up recruitment & orientation. More user friendly is always better. JCCC is great at it. KU could take a lesson.

beerbaron03 2 years, 3 months ago

Oh boy, where do I start....

1. Fire Bill Self
  2. Disband the basketball thugs, er, I mean team.
  3. Turn Allen Fieldhouse into a library, or something else useful.
  4. Turn KU into a school again, not some sort of pseudo state sponsored basketball team.

dogsandcats 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, they could start by making the LJ World call it by its proper name - the University of Kansas.

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

They could have the "actual professors" teach their courses instead of grad assistants and they could refocus their attention to the students rather than their public posturing, but then, that goes for most universities as well.

Topple 2 years, 3 months ago

Bulldoze the hill. I particularly hated speed-walking up it in summer to get to class.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 3 months ago

But that's how I got these sweet calves!

Jayhawk1963 2 years, 3 months ago

The only thing that would improve KU is to raise Franklin Murphy from the dead and reinstall him as Chancellor !!!

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

Need a sugar-daddy to dump a few billion bucks on KU in order to totally insulate it from the hayseed, tinhorn, bible thumping, teabaggin' nutballs in the Kansas state house.

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

gbulldog 2 years, 3 months ago

Three suggestions: 1) Raise the standards. Do not enroll students unless students have completed a course of study at a "prep" school. Or eliminate freshmen and sophmores. Students comming into KU, should be concentrating on advance coursed related to their chosed career fields. By concentrating on upper level and graduate couses, KU would operate more efficiently and produce better qualified students. Same for KState.

2) Sell or lease the athletic programs. Why is KU in the sports industry that benefits the pros. I thought the primary purpose of KU was education and not to provide the pros with an educated quarterback or basket ball player.

3) Ban online courses. An online course doesnot prepare the person for the team oriented workplace. Most online courses are scams and designed to steal money from veterns.

classclown 2 years, 3 months ago

Topple

September 13, 2012 at 2:13 p.m

==================================================

That will never happen. The only reason they are on the hill is because it makes it easier to look down on everyone else.

bd 2 years, 3 months ago

The original mission of the University of Kansas was to serve the students of our state! I think we have lost sight of that. Restricter admissions because of the inability of secondary education to do their job is not the answer. I am sick and tired of my hard earned tax $ being spent to subsidize out of state ond foriegn students!