Previous   Next

What do you think Kansas University could do to improve as a university?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 12, 2012

Browse the archives

“I think one thing they can do is up the security and cops watching the students, especially the ones that don’t live in Lawrence. ”

“The faculty members are limited. When they say KU is 105 or 106, it doesn’t necessarily mean the programs.”

“More focus on academics and less on sports.”

“Better interdepartmental communication when it comes to course work.”

Related story

Comments

bd 1 year, 7 months ago

The original mission of the University of Kansas was to serve the students of our state! I think we have lost sight of that. Restricter admissions because of the inability of secondary education to do their job is not the answer. I am sick and tired of my hard earned tax $ being spent to subsidize out of state ond foriegn students!

classclown 1 year, 7 months ago

Topple

Bulldoze the hill. I particularly hated speed-walking up it in summer to get to class.

September 13, 2012 at 2:13 p.m

==================================================

That will never happen. The only reason they are on the hill is because it makes it easier to look down on everyone else.

gbulldog 1 year, 7 months ago

Three suggestions: 1) Raise the standards. Do not enroll students unless students have completed a course of study at a "prep" school. Or eliminate freshmen and sophmores. Students comming into KU, should be concentrating on advance coursed related to their chosed career fields. By concentrating on upper level and graduate couses, KU would operate more efficiently and produce better qualified students. Same for KState.

2) Sell or lease the athletic programs. Why is KU in the sports industry that benefits the pros. I thought the primary purpose of KU was education and not to provide the pros with an educated quarterback or basket ball player.

3) Ban online courses. An online course doesnot prepare the person for the team oriented workplace. Most online courses are scams and designed to steal money from veterns.

riverdrifter 1 year, 7 months ago

Need a sugar-daddy to dump a few billion bucks on KU in order to totally insulate it from the hayseed, tinhorn, bible thumping, teabaggin' nutballs in the Kansas state house.

Jayhawk1963 1 year, 7 months ago

The only thing that would improve KU is to raise Franklin Murphy from the dead and reinstall him as Chancellor !!!

Topple 1 year, 7 months ago

uggadyboogadyboo 1 year, 7 months ago

improve improve hummmmmm..... I thinking theme park. The lands paid for. log ride through potters. school should be fun....right....roller coaster end to end. There will be a reason to come to Harvard on the Hill

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

They could have the "actual professors" teach their courses instead of grad assistants and they could refocus their attention to the students rather than their public posturing, but then, that goes for most universities as well.

dogsandcats 1 year, 7 months ago

Well, they could start by making the LJ World call it by its proper name - the University of Kansas.

beerbaron03 1 year, 7 months ago

Oh boy, where do I start....

1. Fire Bill Self
  2. Disband the basketball thugs, er, I mean team.
  3. Turn Allen Fieldhouse into a library, or something else useful.
  4. Turn KU into a school again, not some sort of pseudo state sponsored basketball team.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 7 months ago

The world is full of goat fornicators.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

Watch those metaphors...you might get disappearededed.

O'Bob, I think it is raining there now....charliejohnson is prepared though.

rockchalker52 1 year, 7 months ago

From what I've read, they'd better dust off the welcome mat some more & amp up recruitment & orientation. More user friendly is always better. JCCC is great at it. KU could take a lesson.

blindrabbit 1 year, 7 months ago

KU struggles to reverse the trend of declining academic standing at the same time The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences wants to gut the Western Civ. Program. , My guess is that many students in L&S have their only exposure to higher education via the Western Civ. requirement. Seems to me that KU is more interested in greasing the skids for students in the job world than maintaining a quality university education. The state is full of community colleges, for profits and vo-techs to satisfy those needs, that not being the role of the State's "Flagship" (according to KU officials) university.

begin60 1 year, 7 months ago

Ban street harassment. Get a clue, people. You are not helping, and it's insulting to approach complete strangers for discriminatory reasons. Everyone deserves to feel safe from ignorance and abuse in public. Feminists do not take to people who get up in their personal space even for the questionably courteous reason of opening doors for random strangers.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 7 months ago

I'd suggest KU hold Free Monkey Friday once a month.

prospector 1 year, 7 months ago

You are always pissy and yes, both of you give me the giggles.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 7 months ago

"If'n it don't rain too much we shall go to the hippie festival in cowley county."

It always rains during Walnut Valley.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm ready for a weenie roast and some smores.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 7 months ago

"Oh, KU's could improve itself by finding a football team. All indications are however that project is still one for the distant future......"

There is a long and rich history of failed Notre Dame coaches finding success at a new school.

/I tell lies.

BABBOY 1 year, 7 months ago

BABBOY 1 year, 7 months ago

JackMcKee 1 year, 7 months ago

Hire a chancellor that's not an idiot.

CWGOKU 1 year, 7 months ago

Get rid of any record that I went to school there.

I like pie too

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

According to the kid, she had a good many right winger teachers as well as left wingers. A few weirdos. I will need to ask her how balance or not she viewed it. She is all knowing. Admittedly when I was a studente the campus was overrun with radical hippies and anarchist. One of my most memorable moments was the "Down with the Shah" protest march down Jayhawk Blvd. A different era.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 7 months ago

"I think one thing they can do is up the security and cops watching the students, especially the ones that don’t live in Lawrence. ” Because nothing says higher education like increased police surviellance, especially if you imagine you are in East Germany.

prospector 1 year, 7 months ago

Momma loves you just the way you are.

/shhh. Don't give it a complex.

g_rock 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe worry less about rankings and worry more about actually teaching folks the stuff as opposed to giving degrees to people that partied thru KU. My last semester at KU in my senior seminar, there were so many folks that were graduating that just didn't have a clue. Keep churning out kids that are sub par but "passing" and your are degrading the future of America. But they were a warm body and they paid tuition so they deserve something, right?

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

GeeWhiz Sagey, so much for challenging criticial thinking skills. You don't need a University,,all you need is a cookie cutter. You appear to be equating normal with conservative. Sounds to me like maybe you got some sort of a hateful grudge against eduated people.

SageonPage 1 year, 7 months ago

Allow freedom of speech and quit recruiting leftist Professors who spew Marxism. Allow some variety of thought and hire a few more normal and conservative thinkers. Get professors out of the School of Religion who hate Christianity. There is a start for you.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 7 months ago

Stock Potter's Pond*.

*It is not a lake.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

I think they should give my kid free tuition and fees.

I like pie.

Andini 1 year, 7 months ago

Quit accepting kids born with silver spoons in their mouths.

Red_Dog 1 year, 7 months ago

And, have no student working for that Hippie store. Da Me*K....Please..

Red_Dog 1 year, 7 months ago

Hmm....Stop having cheap T.A.'s instructing. Think about it.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 7 months ago

Manhattan smells. KU could improve by raising it's admission standards, but then wouldn't make as much from tuition.