Previous   Next

Do you think young adults are more or less civically engaged than previous generations?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 9, 2012

Browse the archives

“I would say it’s been declining since the ’80s. It’s a consumerist society and too much TV. ”

“I think we are more interested in controversy because of the news bias.”

“I would say less. We are less involved within our communities because of our phones.”

“They are no less and no more.”

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

hmmm . . . protest or text? I'll get back with you on that, I'm getting a call . . .

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 3 months ago

I blame phones and the media. Kids these days hardly talk to people around them because they're too darn busy bustin their thumbs on these cell phones. They have no idea what's going on around them. It's a shame that something useful has turned into such a critical distraction. And the media doesn't help, as we all know. I don't care if Snooki broke a nail, thanks.

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 3 months ago

And yes, I believe kids are less civically engaged. As well as socially. As in real life, cyber world doesn't count as being sociable in my book!

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 3 months ago

tange, I do believe you are just messing with our minds. And, I will have you know that Carmen was one of the happiest people I have ever known. Go pick on someone else. Like Jerry Lewis, I mean to say, whiskey tango foxtrot.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 3 months ago

I am far from young, and I could care less about politics after the Kennedy era. That is until President Obama. Three generations of women in my family are now very much involved not only in regional and national politics but international. Because finally we have a president that is truly for everyone Someone that makes us realize that government is a word for a process, people who get together to make decisions about how a country is governed and we have the right to information and to select the information that we believe to be valid. I think, from the time I have spent around KU students that they are very serious about the world around them. Some of the on the street replies were so cynical. Are we using the word controversial to mean something that people disagree on and argue on, because that is just about everything. So, it is not about controversy, it is about having the right to speak your mind about something that you feel strongly about. I told my granddaughter about my experiences in the Troubles, and she called me from D.C. where she lives now and was so excited when she called me, and said, "Grandma, I am in a protest!" I was so proud of her. By the way it was the Keystone protest.

raiderssb 2 years, 3 months ago

Awesome! My three grown children are 4th generation Democrats and proud of it! We have always been engaged. I'm baffled about these zeroes who were "on the street" and embarrassed KU by their apathy . . . so disappointing!

Liberty275 2 years, 3 months ago

I'd like to welcome back our wonderful KU students and thank goodness The Lawrence World News Corporations can find someone other than aging hippies to answer these daily questions.

Katara 2 years, 3 months ago

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they alone knew everything and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for girls, they are forward, immodest and unwomanly in speech, behaviour and dress."

• Socrates or Plato, depending on the website although probably neither said it.

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.

When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint." --- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.

Kids these days...