Previous   Next

How did you celebrate Halloween growing up?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 29, 2012

Browse the archives

“We’d get our mother to take us to the rich apartment complexes. Then we’d scout out the places that gave out full size candy bars.”

“When I was a kid, we waited till it was dark and only went to the houses where the light was on and there was a jack-o’-lantern.”

“In my day, we actually trick-or-treated at homes. You had to work for candy. We had to engage in social interactions.”

Related story

Comments

kernal 1 year, 5 months ago

I still have fond memories of the neighbors who would make popcorn balls, caramel apples, candied apples and chocolate cupcakes with orange icing for us. Only one neighbor made us do a trick every year. Since I never could come up with one, he'd make me sing loud enough to be heard. So mortifying. LOL.

Bill Lee 1 year, 5 months ago

Costumes and trick or treating. I'm old enough that we were offered and we accepted fresh fruit, homemade candy and treats in addition to candy from stores. Candy bars were full sized because "fun size" hadn't been invented. And, who came up with that name for those midget bars? I still give out full-sized bars. I always buy candy I like so I can eat the left overs. Sometimes I don't wait. I've only got two Russell Stover Mint Dreams left, and I doubt they'll still be here on Wednesday.

My brother used to come home with two shopping bags full of candy, and it usually lasted him into the following summer!

tange 1 year, 5 months ago

I'd lie awake on that hallowed night, visions of sainthood dancing in my head...

_

CWGOKU 1 year, 5 months ago

Anyone from the east coast coming here to help us with our drought?

prospector 1 year, 5 months ago

"Hurricane Sandy has sunk the H.M.S Bounty."

Nope, the idiots that put it there did.

My_Life 1 year, 5 months ago

We always did the work of the devil. It was fun. Now I do the work of Jesus and pray for forgiveness. It's not as much fun. Someone has to carry on the fight against evil in the world. That's my cross to bare.

May God have mercy on the east coast. I shall pray for the millions of kids that won't get a Halloween this year thanks to Sandy.

somedude20 1 year, 5 months ago

I dressed as Stan and then seduced his girlfriend, Betty Childs, in a bouncy house while at college

RoeDapple 1 year, 5 months ago

And . . . Hurricane Sandy has sunk the H.M.S Bounty. Two of the sixteen crew are missing.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

Blah Blah East Coast. Oh, I forgot, NYC is there. Nothing else matters. Except Greenwich, CT. Anyway, things won't get really dire until Chris Christie sings his signature song, "Lightning Strikes". Artie, weren't you one of those people who complained about East Coast Lew? Make up your mind.

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

I find it ironic that the east coast should be preparing for the worst storm in recorded history and you all are worried about candy. I remember being lectured by a mean old white man once because we were trick or treat for UNICEF. He said we didn't need to take care of 'them foreigners kids'.

prospector 1 year, 5 months ago

The traditional turkey dinner with all the trimming and finishing the evening with candy cigarettes.

CWGOKU 1 year, 5 months ago

I think they called them "winders" back then, not windows. I don't think it is a thing anymore. Not where I live anyway

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 5 months ago

"That & I soaped a lot of car windows."

Wow. I remember when that was a thing. Is it still a thing?

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

I usually just went window peeping. But that's what I did most nights anyway.

paisley 1 year, 5 months ago

Just before Halloween, we would go to the local park where we made "lanterns". The park director woud glue and tape candles inside of this four sided construction paper and tissue paper creation. Then on Halloween, in full costume, we would parade through the neighborhood. After the lantern parade, we would go house to house but seldom to apartments unless we knew the people that lived there. What we actually did would be considered a fire hazard now and it was but, we were all very careful. This was back in the day when kids "listened" to adults and obeyed the "rules". It was great fun though.

g_rock 1 year, 5 months ago

The old lady 3 houses down would make popcorn balls to pass out. No one would eat them cause they were scary...but they made for a fun "snowball" fight later...

BABBOY 1 year, 5 months ago

We went to houses in our area and counted how many kids came to our house.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

"What is wrong with you Godless entitlement driven people?"

I anxiously await Craig Tucker's annual anti-religion Halloween rant Letter to the Editor.

rockchalker52 1 year, 5 months ago

We used to take blogs from people & hide them from view.

That & I soaped a lot of car windows.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 5 months ago

Grew up in the sticks, never heard of Holly Winnies

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 5 months ago

Collecting for UNICEF of course.

What is wrong with you Godless entitlement driven people?

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

Other than than the usual of getting candy and junk in our bags, my buddy and I would look for the best Jack-o-Lanterns in the neighborhood. The day after Halloween we would wait to see if any of these kept being lit. If one was, we would sneak up, put the candle out and take dump in it. Then ring the door bell and say "Trick or Treat"!

Most people were indignant that we were a day late and would want to turn us away. We then told them that that we were unaware of this since they had a Jack-o-Lantern that had just burned out and we thought it was a two day Holiday thing - like a weekend. We then waited from a well hidden place to see if they wanted to re-light the pumpkin...Much to their surprise.

Sorry. It was hilarious, though. And then we would follow up with a nice M-80 in so called Jack-o-Lantern and go back to the respective hiding spot - after ringing the door bell. And then, you know, BOOM!

I know. Was pretty stupid. But hey, if your neighbor was a cop and giving out confiscated M-80's/ Cherry Bombs in those days it was hard to resist.

Uhh...sorry for those that this happened to. :) - Happy Halloween!

Damian666 1 year, 5 months ago

Same as everyone else, human sacrifice, chanting around the pentagram, and dancing naked around the bonfire.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 5 months ago

By throwing out all of the good candy that was collected because it might have been poisoned or otherwise tampered with. That left the hard candies, suckers, and the few good pieces from relatives that we trick-or-treated.

My generation was "tricked" by the poisoned "treat" myths of the 60's and 70's.

Trick-or-treating during the tampered-candy scares of the 60's and 70's.

Trick-or-treating during the tampered-candy scares of the 60's and 70's. by Benjamin Roberts

Andini 1 year, 5 months ago

With soap, toilet paper and eggs.