Previous   Next

Do you think its a good idea to require the state of Kansas to buy American-made products as long as it’s feasible and doesn’t raise the cost by more than 25 percent?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 26, 2012

Browse the archives

“ I think it would be fine as long as they were not spending a ton on it. I don’t like it being mandatory, but it’s a good idea.”

“ Sure. Anytime you can keep the jobs in our own neck of the woods payrolls will (rise) in the same area and they will spend more.”

“I don’t see a problem with it. Promoting domestic production and goods is a valuable thing for us. ”

“You should do it because supporting a domestic contractor brings more tax revenue back into the local economy. Even with the 25 percent clause you’d at least break even.”

Comments

notajayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Just for perspective, the 25% they're talking about is approximately 52 million dollars (plus whatever administrative costs are involved in someone researching products to dertify them as American made). And this is on top of the costs involved for other 'preferred' purchasing policies (disabled/minority/environmentally friendly, whatever).

alcoholbliss 1 year, 5 months ago

America is the great melting pot of all products, and people. Kansas Dems want to scream buy American elitism, prejudice and bigotry in Kansas. LOL! Mein Fuhrer!

Richard Heckler 1 year, 5 months ago

--- Some in the world of business would be delighted to inflate the cost if a government mandate was implemented while an American flag was flying outside the office.

--- It all depends who is pushing the mandate and what exactly is the ultimate goal? Is it more Facism to the extreme?

--- Is it to garner more special interest campaign money that further corrupts government?

--- Why is a mandate necessary? Why isn't it everyday business as we speak? I need to know more.

--- Yes it is best to keep dollars in our country that is a given. So long as it is not a smoke screen that legitimately promotes corruption.

--- For example. The K-12 virtual school program is owned by the same group of people who want to shut down public schools. Which says that we are allowing this campaign against public schools to be funded with our tax dollars. This group of well known political names is painting public schools as evil while at the same time raking in big profits off the backs of taxpayers..... also the same group that paints tax dollars as evil.

--- It's not that public schools are evil or failures it is the trillions of tax dollars that could be converted to large guaranteed profits. Yes taxpayers are getting duped again. Right here in USD 497. http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/10/13-0

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

"Eddie_Haskell 1 hour, 43 minutes ago

From memory? Without looking it up? The only Woody Guthrie I know of was one of the last pure American folk singers and writers of the 20th century. Champion of the common man, he crudely carved "This Machine Kills Facists" into his guitar. He died the slow, torturous death of Huntington's disease, a genetic killer almost always inherited by offspring, although I don't think Arlo has it yet. While dying in the hospital in New York, he was bugged several times by an up and coming smartass named Bob Dylan, who would later write "Song to Woody", and a few other songs. That Woody Guthrie?"

Umm.. Yeah.. Eddie, how do know and retain all this music history stuff without inhaling a dime or two very often?

Or, is that the secret? I tried a puff off a cigarette once but it did not help me do the "speed reading" test the next day....And, sometimes I forget what time it is. Who is the "Egg Man."

• Help?

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 5 months ago

""Although, I think Eddie knows all this and is messing with us."

On the nosey, BoB! " Eddie

/high five!

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

"Although, I think Eddie knows all this and is messing with us."

On the nosey, BoB!

rockchalker52 1 year, 5 months ago

My friends & I keep gettin' these mailers from some inept charity that tapes a shiny 2012 five cent piece inside. Call me crazy, but wth?! That is inefficient on so many levels, I don't know where to begin. I'm not exactly gonna bend over for five cents let alone for an outfit that wastes a dollar on every 20 pieces of mail.

Izzaat how that band sold so many albums? Nickelback?

Paul R Getto 1 year, 5 months ago

Is the law requiring public agencies, including schools to buy each year from the blind workers in the state program still on the books?

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 5 months ago

"Who the hell is Woody Guthrie? Edward, Edward, Edward. He was a noted Socialist song writer that spoke of the pain the Captains of Industry bore upon the working poor. The early age bohemian singer from the plains. oh, and Arlo's daddy too." Autie

And an Okie. Although, I think Eddie knows all this and is messing with us.

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 5 months ago

"I knew it was Dennis Moore. But who in the hell is Woody Guthrie? Did they mean Woody Allen? Did he direct that video?" Eddie.

He is Arlo's father.

Deja Coffin 1 year, 5 months ago

Sounds like a great idea to me!! I try to shop local to support my community and those in it so why not have the state of Kansas do the same on a national level. It's just sad to have to enforce a principle that should come naturally........ Darn my dreams of a perfect Utopia!! I better go do something selfish or at least watch some Jersey Shore and help Snooki pay for her diamond studded pacifiers for her little Guido.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 5 months ago

"This Land is Your Land. Bruce Springsteen, right?"

Dennis Moore.

Antonym 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes. Definitely. How on earth could another regulation restricting free trade be bad? There should be a clause tagged onto the end restricting greed, otherwise what few American made products are left will adjust their prices to stay right at the 24% above foreign, if that's (that is) even possible.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

This cold weather really pisses me off. My friends and I were having a lot of fun until yesterday.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

Is the Aztec American-made? Handsome car. Are they still moving Plum Island to Kansas? Great idea!

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

This Land is Your Land. Bruce Springsteen, right?

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't understand the question. Back in the day, me and Snoop was Rollin' 20 Crips. Slingin' rocks on 61st in Long Beach. We didn't think about stuff like that. Freeway Ricky always supplied us and we was cool. Yep.

RoeDapple 1 year, 5 months ago

My F-250 is 90% USA made, the wife's Taurus is 70% USA made. By federal standards any vehicle with more than 25% imported parts is considered an import. Honda Ridgeline and Pilot come in at 75% USA made. The Toyota Camry hits 80%, the Toyota Seinna goes 85%. The Mazda Tribute comes in at 90% MADE-IN-USA. The Ford Econoline van is 95% . . . but has been discontinued.

~geez~

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

hey, that 25% in an annualized view could mean the difference of some merit raises for the gooder employees that ain't got no adjustments is a long time...I mean, Brownback would cut off his nose to spite his face in a heartbeat if he thought it would please David and Charles..but come on...

emily_litella 1 year, 5 months ago

And contribute to inflation? Hell no!

g_rock 1 year, 5 months ago

Buying locally is a great idea. But if you are throwing 25% more at the product, then what if you left that money in the economy in the first place? You are taxing or charging too much in the first place. And costing more in management of the money and misuse of it in the first place. You are spending more than the 25% to just toss it back in the same pool.

Unless it is beer from Freestate. Then I'm all for it.

Is it time to go home yet?

OonlyBonly 1 year, 5 months ago

Of course, in my opinion, it would be reasonable to expect Americans to prefer to buy American products but, as usual, for a town as Liberal as Lawrence we can see by these comments the thought of supporting your own is beyond them...

BABBOY 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes. Kansas should buy American.

This is no brainer to me.

It also call out the republicans and their BS....

Meaningless cause the bible beaters will win this state election, but pretty flipping funny..

Big O wins federally.... Amazes me that republicans cannot put up a decent Prez candidate.... but, of course that is good thing… I mean Milt is total dufus…

budwhysir 1 year, 5 months ago

Did you know that the pizza sauce should be used on pizza and pasta sauce should be used on pasta???? Yeah well try to use pasta sauce on yer pizza let me know how that turns out for ya fella...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 5 months ago

Did you know that Kansas was the largest site of goat testicle implantations in the world?

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

Did you know that one fifth of the wheat grown in this country comes from Kansas?

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

I buy only American made...ain't china and pakistan in America?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 5 months ago

What about the outsourcing in the administration of Child Support Enforcement, Food Stamps, and Temporary Assistance to Need Families that occurred at the same time the Sebelius administration was slashing educational funding?

The world is flat.

jonas_opines 1 year, 5 months ago

Crap, they've started using ReasonMCLucas to write the OTS questions. We're doomed!

RoeDapple 1 year, 5 months ago

In other news, Cocoa, Florida thinks they can get drugs and guns off the streets by forcing teens to pull up their saggin' pants . . . .

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 5 months ago

"Please, LJW, pose a question that is composed of a more than sophomoric sentence structure." Klumma

Haha.

I'm all for buy American, but this is dumb. Is it to buy American end products? Because a lot of American made products get materials from overseas. Oh, I'm sorry. I took this question seriously.

/Farts This Land Is Your Land //Times have changed. ///Drinks Merican Bourbon.

Loretta James 1 year, 5 months ago

I think all americans should buy american made when available.

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

Answer..To the LJW literary genius that asked this question. Duh. Have you done the numbers on this question of trade? If your math is any worse than your sentence structure you are not qualified to even hint at such a question.

Do not pass go. Go back to school, Dork.

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

Wha? Please, LJW, pose a question that is composed of a more than sophomoric sentence structure.

• Do you think its [ it is] a good idea to require the state [of] Kansas to buy American-made products as long as it’s [it is] feasible and doesn’t [does not] raise the cost by more than 25 percent?

Christ. Is LJW hiring "temps" now??

Andini 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes. But only from IKEA stores.