Previous   Next

Should a rumored burial site of Quantrill’s Raid victims at Ninth and New Hampshire streets be further investigated before a hotel is built there?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 25, 2012

Browse the archives

“ As an engineer, I say move on with it. I don’t think they (those buried) are going to care. They’re dead.”

“ Doesn’t history create culture? Yes, I think they should start investigating it.”

“ I think they should look for bodies. Always check for bodies; that’s a good rule.”

“ We should continue building at all possible speed in hopes of re-creating a ‘Poltergeist’ moment, putting Lawrence on the paranormal map.”

Comments

John Kyle 1 year, 6 months ago

Eric, you're the problem with engineers. "Show me the money!"

gccs14r 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh, and it sounds like Eric Bonet hasn't taken an ethics course. Maybe his advisor will see this and have a chat with him.

gccs14r 1 year, 6 months ago

If there used to be a gas station there, maybe they should analyze soil samples for contamination. For bones, ground-penetrating radar might show those.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 6 months ago

If you haven't been to Circleville, head up to Holton (north of Topeka on 75 Highway) when you get to Holton turn west on highway 16, then turn north on highway 62, get up to legal speed and hang on, and also your tummy. I know this is west of Circleville , but it a fun trip.

msezdsit 1 year, 6 months ago

Should conduct at least a five year study.

jman785 1 year, 6 months ago

Dig 'em up and throw them in the "wetlands". Cowards decided to run and hide instead of stand and fight anyways....

CWGOKU 1 year, 6 months ago

Autie has so much French wine in him............... he'd burn for days

RoeDapple 1 year, 6 months ago

Hell autie, by the time you die I'll be face down in my Cheerios at RoeDy's House of Paranoia and Retirement Villa. I'll still do the honors though. Just show me the weapons and hide behind your cars.

rockchalker52 1 year, 6 months ago

CeeDub, Corning is just north of Havensville & northeast of Onaga which is pretty much straight south of Centralia, maybe a skosh to the west. If you're in the area don't forget to check out the scenic towns of Goff & Wetmore.

CWGOKU 1 year, 6 months ago

Had to look up Circleville.......... right where Riverdrifter said. Population 170...Salute!

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

After taps, eddie, make sure they crank up the 1970 Fillmore west version of Whippin Post with Dickey and Skydog rippin it.

CWGOKU 1 year, 6 months ago

Where is Soldier?
I don't plan on dying

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 6 months ago

Ronaldo plays a mean Swiss Alpine Horn.

NotMeAgain 1 year, 6 months ago

You White People Crack Me Up!!!!

1 year, 6 months ago

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

I plan on a Viking funeral. It will be held on my private pond north of town. Sometime in the distant future I hope. Ronaldo will play taps on the Argentinian Pampas Horn and Roe can fire off multiple volleys with multiple weapons. O'Bob can pour whiskey. That almost sounds like fun, I'll want to be there too.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 6 months ago

They might find a buried bucket containing a buried foot.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 6 months ago

"Right on, BoB. I've always found the idea of a funeral pyre appealing."

A floating funeral pyre. Have my dead, useless body on fire running some rapids.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 6 months ago

Right on, BoB. I've always found the idea of a funeral pyre appealing. I don't care if it's illegal. I bet Ronaldo can help me out on that. And if I were locked in a room with Sean Penn, Hitler, and Bin Laden and I only had 2 bullets, I'd shoot Sean Penn twice.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 6 months ago

This is why when I die, burn me and dump my ashes out back. Graveyards are the biggest waste of space.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 6 months ago

Somedude said it for me. Even if Jack Wu thinks the earth is only 300 years old, we're all still standing on top of lots of dead bodies.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 6 months ago

"But I would not rule out Jimmy Hoffa."

I highly recommend reading "I Heard You Paint Houses" by Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran. It's his deathbed confessional. Sheeran was Hoffa's right hand man and confidante. According to him, Hoffa was lured to a house in suburban Detroit for a "business" meeting. Once there, Sheeran put a bullet or two in the back of Hoffa's head. Typical Mafia hit. Hoffa's body was then taken to an area slaughter house an disposed of in the incinerator. So no, he's not buried under the stage at The Bird. The book also offers some insight into the JFK assassination. Great read.

booyalab 1 year, 6 months ago

Somebody should do something

Noweigh 1 year, 6 months ago

thank god these weren't discovered at "the wetlands".

Do an appropriate, quick investigation for historical purposes, then proceed with building.

Agnostick 1 year, 6 months ago

The zombie of Private Pinfire walks among us!!

pablo94 1 year, 6 months ago

Normally, construction sites are not required to do exploratory investigations for bones, however if you discover them the normal process is to cease work, call the police, notify the owner, and call in the acheologist (usually name and number is on the civil drawings). It is prudent to do this as we do not as an industry want to destroy any artifacts or history that could be learned from the discovery. Often times once the investigation is complete the owner is required to relocate the bones to a differing burial ground.

In this case, if there are bones and the hotel has a underground parking garage the excavation will likely determine if they exist. Remains to be seen. And isn't Compton involved. Who cares if it costs his development team some money. The city is already paying more than they should in incentives anyway.

local_support 1 year, 6 months ago

This is the first time all of the OTS responses made me chuckle.

prospector 1 year, 6 months ago

Like it flippin' matters...If anything, put up a memorial to Rick "Tiger" Dowdell who was shot by a cop there in 1970.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 6 months ago

Let's see, there was already a damn gas station on that corner, as well as houses to the south, so it would seem that the proverbial dead horse is already out of the barn.

demonfury 1 year, 6 months ago

It doesn't make one bit of difference here, Compton will get what he wants from the spineless rubber stampers in the city commission anyway. Why waste money looking for it? Even if you found it, we the tax payers would be stuck with the bill of moving them in order for Dougie to build yet another eye sore.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 6 months ago

Jonathan, Lawrence has been on the paranormal map for many moons. Ask any black Lawrence Lifer about the "hangin' tree", or check out Haskell and Stull. Lawrence is a Paranormal investigator's wdream.

Ronnie24 1 year, 6 months ago

Check for bones before digging up the ground for another hotel. It wouldn't take that much more time. Those that might be buried there deserve at least that much.

somedude20 1 year, 6 months ago

If life continues for thousands of years, we all will be built on. Bet the Romans, Greeks and cave persons never thought that they would be built upon...heck, the dinos never saw it coming.

"Why are we? Because we're here, roll the bones. "Why does it happen? Because it happens Roll the bones, roll the bones."

jonas_opines 1 year, 6 months ago

Jonathan's answer is awesome.

But you should investigate. Send Geraldo!

Larry Sturm 1 year, 6 months ago

It should be checked out ,if there is at least a marker should be placed there.

MISTERTibbs 1 year, 6 months ago

Haven't there been other structures on that property in the past?

I would find it hard to believe that any bodies buried on that site would be buried so deep that the previous buildings wouldn't have uncovered them.

MISTERTibbs 1 year, 6 months ago

Haven't there been other structures on that property in the past?

g_rock 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm not as concerned with the burial site as I am making sure that the construction site doesn't have any unexplained fires. Just say no to raids!

rockchalker52 1 year, 6 months ago

Use 'em for art in the middle of the roundabout.

50YearResident 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't drag out construction over unfounded rumors. Even if bones are found, which I doubt, they couldn't be identified. Quantril's men had some casualties too and nobody knows who they were burried. All locals were properly buried. Don't turn this into another "Wetlands Fiasco".

RoeDapple 1 year, 6 months ago

When the bridge between Lawrence and Topeka was being built a skull was unearthed in the excavation process. A local asked the on scene engineer what he was going to do. With the toe of his boot he pushed it into the river and replied, "Do? About what?"

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 6 months ago

Lawrence Convention and Visitors Bureau says they are buried under the city's parking garage.

But I would not rule out Jimmy Hoffa.

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

like eric says, they're dead and won't care at this point. build on brother.

LogicMan 1 year, 6 months ago

Do the excavation carefully and if any remains are found give them a more proper burial than a mass grave in a trench.

fiddleback 1 year, 6 months ago

[strokes beard, raises eyebrow] As an engineer, I suggest that they mix whatever bone fragments they find into the concrete for added strength ....Now what's this Quantrill's Raid you all keep talking about? Oh, nevermind. This freight train's not going to drive itself...

lunacydetector 1 year, 6 months ago

who comes up with these rumors, the same guy who said clyde barrow may have robbed tellers?

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 6 months ago

Why is Lawrence so full of itself?

-Asked on the LJW OTS, October 25, 2012, 12:21am

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 6 months ago

Nope. Quantril's Raid never happened.