Previous   Next

Do you think there is ever a situation in which books should be banned from a library?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 6, 2012

Browse the archives

“ No. If it offends you, then why bother reading it?”

“ No, they shouldn’t be banned, but underage children shouldn’t have access to certain books. ”

“ No, never! Books should never be banned. ”

“ No, never. Obviously the author wanted it to be seen, and their voice should not be censored.”

Comments

booyalab 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh, is it book banning hysteria week already?

I love how "someone complained about something once and requested it's removal from an isolated place that probably gets their money" is akin to banning. Yesterday, I banned a stale hardened pizza crust from a plate on my kitchen table. Should we start a Food Banning week in its honor? We can put up signs of delicious pizza with sad faces and talk about how much I hate freedom.

tange 1 year, 6 months ago

Ok. I can hear it now. "DVDs. Moving pictures. Talkies, no less. Where's the imagination in that?" When I'm taking in the latest flick, in 3+2D, I'm actively associating the other six. (No BIGGY—I'm already deriving the third from the first two.) Ok, to be honest, I'm only associating three of the other six, tho' I'm only banned from two, but there are moments of harmonic resonance, when I actually experience chills. Now, who can honestly say the Dewey Decimal System does that for them, really?

LadyJ 1 year, 6 months ago

Back in the 70's there was a book called Father Pig. It was about young hippies banding together and conspiring to murder their parents with a lot of sex thrown in. I believe the book started out in Lawrence, Ks. Probably wasn't banned because it made hippies look bad.

LadyJ 1 year, 6 months ago

Last time I checked, they had all the Chilton auto repair manuals so you could fix your car.

Newell_Post 1 year, 6 months ago

Here are some kinds of books I have seen in stores, but would prefer to have banned from the public library:

1. Books that have been adjudged libelous,
  2. "Snuff" books,
  3. Books about how to build bombs and carry out assassinations,

These have no place in a library financed by public funds.

RoeDapple 1 year, 6 months ago

I learned to read with "Fun With Dick and Jane". Tip was a good dog.

"Oh, look.

Look and see.

See Tip run.

Run Tip, run!"

'Course it helped to have the pictures showing what was going on . . .

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

No O'Bob, that was to kill a Clutter.

Books are a gateway drug to the imagination.....to dreaming greater things and prompting young minds to more. To be greater. Libraries will not die..ever. There is nothing so creative as a good book and warm sun gleaming down on a fertile mind. And the authors are the directors of our minds movies...If you cain't read Huckleberry Finn and lay back and picture yourself on that raft going down the river.....Or understand the deeper meaning of who Boo Radley really is.....Books are for realzees.

tange 1 year, 6 months ago

LadyJ's favorite banned book, To Kill a Mockingbird, was one of the best DVDs ever.

/ ... a picture worth a thousand words... 30 frames per second... 3600 seconds per hour... Gone with the Wind... you do the math....

RoeDapple 1 year, 6 months ago

Anybody here ever read "The Anarchist's Cookbook"? Want to?

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 6 months ago

"My favorite banned book, To Kill a Mockingbird, was one of the best books ever."

One of Capote's finest efforts.

LadyJ 1 year, 6 months ago

My favorite banned book, To Kill a Mockingbird, was one of the best books ever.

LadyJ 1 year, 6 months ago

Ever read The Executioner series back in the 70's? It was written by Don Pendleton, except for #16 which you could definately tell was not written by him.

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

Elvin is purty gooder guiter player but he is one ugly dude.

I on the other hand cain't play a lick. A lick? get it?

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 6 months ago

I'll give Artie a pass. He plays a mean geetar.

tange 1 year, 6 months ago

Before you know it, we'll been cooking Nooks and... um... kindling... Kindles.

rockchalker52 1 year, 6 months ago

"...and anything by Sue Grafton. Those books are horrible..." Eddie

About 20 years ago, I stood in line at The Raven to get all my Grafton books autographed. I really loved them. Then, she started getting complacent & boring. I think I quit reading them somewhere around 'R is for Rehashed.'

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 6 months ago

"Libraries are about ten years away from being extinct."

I'm not so sure. I bought one of them Kindles last month. I couldn't turn the page on the damn thing. I licked my fingers and everything. Reminds me of when I got an mp3 player a few years ago. Pretty cool, but I couldn't figure where you put the cassette in.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 6 months ago

Just the Bible. And phone books. And Stephen King Books. Oh, and anything by Sue Grafton. Those books are horrible.

tange 1 year, 6 months ago

Case in point...

/ book banning,
concealed carry

prospector 1 year, 6 months ago

Blogs

We can thank everyone favorite homophobe and his outrageous titles, forcing LJW to scramble to get them off the front page. Good for click$ but you can bet the letter writers kept the mailbag full.

Klumma 1 year, 6 months ago

I wish I had a " Sabatini" today. Yummy!!

Klumma 1 year, 6 months ago

LadyJ. I have to apologize. But I couldn't resist. LOVE YA!! Stay away from that lunks "link."

Klumma 1 year, 6 months ago

LadyJ, Had the same problem. Just go here and the "gate-keeper" will give allowance to let you back in. Guess it may be an I.T. thing.

LadyJ 1 year, 6 months ago

What happened to the link and list of web blogs on the front page of the website? How can I find Roe's and Ronda's (or any other members of the ♣) latest blogs easily? Are they trying to hide them as opposed to banning them? Now I have to hunt around. Guess I'll have to bookmark that webpage along with Sarah's OHT.

Klumma 1 year, 6 months ago

No. I was almost going to say that this is a stupid question, Ergo, freedom of speech an such. Then I looked over and was reminded by a book called Little Black Sambo which was given down from my Grandmother. Guess it was considered racist as you will won't find it in any Library these days.

If you happen to find and read it you will find that it was, in idea, flawed by many racial misunderstandings from some. It is a good book.

~ And I really loved the old Sambos restaurant off 23rd St. in Lawrence. They made some great meals.

prospector 1 year, 6 months ago

I was wondering if there are any "Uncle Remus" books still on the shelves?

No one understands when I say that someone has "Slugged the Tar Baby". Brer Rabbit reminds me of the politicians of today.

"Br'er Rabbit is a trickster who succeeds by his wits rather than by brawn, tweaking authority figures and bending social mores as he sees fit."

labmonkey 1 year, 6 months ago

Come on now... wouldn't the world have been a much, much better place if they would have banned the Twilight series before it became popular?

Andini 1 year, 6 months ago

Is their a comic book section?

Liberty275 1 year, 6 months ago

If you can't ban the library, then don't ban anything other than material ruled obscene by the judiciary.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 6 months ago

Libraries are about ten years away from being extinct.

autie 1 year, 6 months ago

no dude the lieberry is warm and that's where they keep the books uyou know

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 6 months ago

Ever wake up craving Four Loko and 3D Dorritos?

RoeDapple 1 year, 6 months ago

Geez yes, anything by Al Gore.

Except the internet.

Wesley Willis 1 year, 6 months ago

Catcher in the Rye. Must kill John Lennon. And eat brains. Bleh

hitme 1 year, 6 months ago

Their Friday evening security guard should be though. He was wearing a hoodie and talking on a cell phone when I approached the door to return a book. He looked like one of the indigents that loiter there. He told me they were closed, so I asked who he was. He called me an AH. He said he was one of Topeka's finest. They must be proud.