Previous   Next

Are there any advancements you’d like to see the country make in the next century?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 4, 2012

Browse the archives

“ I would definitely say gay rights as far as to get married, and the whole equal rights thing.”

“ I think women suffrage and feminism has moved too far and now emasculates men, and that’s wrong. Less freedom for women would not be a bad thing. That sounds odd coming from a woman.”

“I just think gay marriage should be legal in the whole country. People’s beliefs are evolving, and it will become more accepted.”

““Marriage equality. Hopefully sooner than that though.”

Related story

Comments

In_God_we_trust 1 year, 5 months ago

Ban gay marriage, because it is a lifestyle that is totally destructive to society and the individual that engages in such behavior. Love the sinner, but hate the sin.

Also support inventions in Kansas of devices that produce over 100% electrical efficiency. This would replace solar panels in most cases and power our cars and trains and planes with no pollution. It could be used in many other ways such as medical devices that require power.

JJE007 1 year, 5 months ago

Stop the arms, legs and empty heads race. It's time to seriously address world population control or embrace our (geologically speaking) spontaneous combustion.

Gandalf 1 year, 5 months ago

Finat answer . . . seperation of church and state.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 5 months ago

How about the bogus GOP leadership and the Chamber of Commerce at all levels of government be placed in jail.

The Chamber has become the chief money laundering contact for the right wing conservative party pretending to be the GOP.

overplayedhistory 1 year, 5 months ago

Reactors that use Dylithium crystals.

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

"Ah can bail hey an' thro hey with tha best ov'em"

What is the frequency, Karen?

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 5 months ago

I think everyone is overreacting to Karen. The woman has the right to live any way she chooses to and I admire her for not only living according to her principles but being willing to state them in public instead of being mealy mouthed and sliding around it. I do believe that there are some women who delight in slapping down everyone, both men and women, as some men do. We are what we are. Live and let live is my motto. I am now going to have a cool and fruity glass of Ripple.

Redd Foxx

Redd Foxx by Frankie8

Negotiator 1 year, 5 months ago

Require persons wanting to be given fish to eat to learn to catch fish to give to others.

Jim Fisher 1 year, 5 months ago

If 75% think that is the greatest challenge, we are sunk. I expect a fourth to give an idiot answer, and was not disappointed

thuja 1 year, 5 months ago

All these "advancements" are destroying our humanity, and our planet.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 5 months ago

Longer-lasting and cheaper popsicles so more people could relax and enjoy a cool and fruity treat any day of the year.

My_Life 1 year, 5 months ago

Almost forgot. Jesus Christ, everyone in the world should accept and worship the one and only Jesus Christ and realized there is only one God. That's a lofty goal, but if it is realized the world will finally be a peaceful place where everyone just gets along.

What a beautiful day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonas_opines 1 year, 5 months ago

A universal ignore feature would be cool.

But if not universal, just this site would be fine, too.

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

Hell's bells we all ought to be into the public funded birth control...they be enough of us running around we don't need any more. \

booyalab 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say there are some ways that Karen could be right......particularly where the saying "your freedom ends where my nose begins" is applicable. Abortion, sex discrimination lawsuits, and publicly funded birth control are a few examples where the "rights" of women have come at the cost of others' liberties.

rockchalker52 1 year, 5 months ago

I'd like to have that replicator thingy from the Star Trek series to transform matter into the meal of my choice & then visit the Holo-Deck for some fantasy kicks.

KSWingman 1 year, 5 months ago

I want to live long enough to enjoy advances in genetic engineering, that will result in bourbon trees (like maple trees, but fine bourbon comes out when you tap them) and tobacco plants that roll the leaves into cigars fresh for picking.

Truly renewable resources!

beatrice 1 year, 5 months ago

Karen, why are you answering this question? There is a man next to you, so shut your pie hole and let him speak! What are you, some kind of feminist who thinks she is allowed her own opinions?

Romney / Karen 2012

Tomato 1 year, 5 months ago

The best thing about this is that the LjWorld seems to archive On the Streets forever and ever. Ten years after I was featured in one, it is one of the few things that show up when I Google myself.

Karen has immortalized herself in this moment.

Katara 1 year, 5 months ago

You are so right, Karen. Women need less freedom.

OMG! Look at how she is emasculating him!

OMG! Look at how she is emasculating him! by Katara

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

I just realized I need a toilet tank to bowl repair kit.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 5 months ago

I just topped off my 72 hr kit with fresh water.

/ready for the riots

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 5 months ago

Ms. Corl,

The great thing about America is that you can choose to reject your suffragette rights. In fact, I would encourage you to do just that. The country would be better off without you voting.

Also, feel free to be as submissive and deferential as you want to men, Just don't expect it from every woman.

My_Life 1 year, 5 months ago

Equal rights for rocks. Even gay rocks.

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

verity2 hours, 34 minutes ago

She does look radiantly happy. He looks a little hesitant.

In some relationships the woman will actually keep the mans testicles in her purse. This could be the source of an emasculating feeling.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

When I was in grade school they said we were gonna have these futuristic telephones with a video monitor where you could see the person on the other end. I was looking forward to calling my 5th grade teacher so I could maybe see her naked. It's probably too late now.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

I'd rather travel backward in time so I could hang out with Bea at Day on the Green in Oakland in 1977. Skynard AND Zepplin? Sickening.....

beatrice 1 year, 5 months ago

Karen, any man who is emasculated by a woman's freedom is no real man. You also are not required to practice any of the freedoms you are granted -- stay home, don't vote, don't drive, don't think for yourself if you wish. To believe one group of people should be stripped of their freedoms just to make another group feel better about themselves, however, is just foolish.

I hope the men in your life allow you to read these comments.

beatrice 1 year, 5 months ago

End of organized religions.

Widespread use of renewable energy sources.

sheidrickman 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes, our right to vote and our feminism has gone too far! We're turning men into sad little pandas. What a ridiculous thing to say.

kernal 1 year, 5 months ago

Unless one has a degree or extensive training in childhood development, first aid, etc., then that person is a babysitter, not a Nanny.

Kind of like a janitor referring to himself as a Sanitary Engineer, which is insulting to those who actually have a four year degree in Sanitary Engineering.

Missingit 1 year, 5 months ago

I would like a viable 3rd party option to vote for. I don't want to give all my money to the rich or the poor.

prospector 1 year, 5 months ago

rock, I blame high def TV....and by ugly old broads you mean ones like Carl, Bill, and Rush right?

grammaddy 1 year, 5 months ago

Less Monsanto and more wind and solar power.

rockchalker52 1 year, 5 months ago

Remember in 1981 Christine Craft was fired from KMBZ for being 'too old, too ugly & not deferential to men?' Times have changed. There are ugly old broads all over the airwaves now.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

I'd like to see less firebugs in the Redbud District. I may end up living there.

sherbert 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm all for equal rights, but if gay marriage is the most important things for these young people, we're in trouble. How about a total over hall of all government programs. We need to get our country back on track and the government needs to do some major house cleaning.

verity 1 year, 5 months ago

What's the feminine form of the word "emasculated"? Efeminized? Efeminated? Spellcheck doesn't like either one. New word? Eat your heart out, Colbert!

EJ Mulligan 1 year, 5 months ago

Karen, you have succeeded in making me choke on my cornflakes while reading the paper. Wow.

brewmaster 1 year, 5 months ago

Oohhh !! I get it now... after noticing Karen's specific choice of words and the coy grin on their faces...it is a sly reference to a Master-Mistress BDSM thing. Carry on...

Agnostick 1 year, 5 months ago

Solar power, as much as feasibly possible. No, we can't really expect solar-powered aircraft, aircraft carriers, tanks etc. but small vehicles, interior lighting and so forth can be easily accomplished.

Healthier, more-nutritious food. High-fiber, low-calorie Little Debbie snack cakes. Made from broccoli and kale, tastes just like chocolate and bourbon.

A small colony on Mars, appropriate for our war-mongering friends.

prospector 1 year, 5 months ago

I know, to heck in a handbasket after we gave them shoes, let them out of the kitchen, and started letting them vote. At least they are still willing to work for less than a man and do the jobs like child raising that is frowned upon by those liberated gals.

I admire your man there Karen, feel fortunate that he lets you stand next to him, only because you know your place. Go home and make him pie.

In the next hundred years ? I want a jet pack.

verity 1 year, 5 months ago

Start going forward, instead of backward, to the future.

Kyle Neuer 1 year, 5 months ago

Fusion power and campaign finance reform.

verity 1 year, 5 months ago

Women should have less freedom so men will not be emasculated? ? ?

Will somebody please explain the connection here? My freedom emasculates men?

tange 1 year, 5 months ago

Ya know, I'd be happy of America would just quit retreating for five minutes. Five minutes.

rockchalker52 1 year, 5 months ago

Striving for the day when all readers' blogs across this great...uh, LJWorld nation?...are no longer relegated to second page status. Free the Blogs!

alcoholbliss 1 year, 5 months ago

Advance into Mexico, apparently they're really not doing it right if they are all over here.

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

So to defeat and abolish liberalism, would not that remove the ying from the yang? You would have all of your punitive policies in place and make our system into a purely authoritarian Brownback type of situation? How boring. But hey Karen would like it, right?

Armstrong 1 year, 5 months ago

To defeat and abolish liberalism nationwide.

rockchalker52 1 year, 5 months ago

Advancements?! Why, technologically speaking 'everything that can be invented has already been invented.' - patent commish, Charles H. Duell in 1899, although he may have gotten a bum rap.

'There is nothing new under the sun, all has been done. What is new will become old & what is old will become new again.' - Some dude named King Solomon. Runs a fashion house in NY, I think.

tomatogrower 1 year, 5 months ago

“ I think women suffrage and feminism has moved too far and now emasculates men, and that’s wrong. Less freedom for women would not be a bad thing. That sounds odd coming from a woman.” — Karen Corl, nanny, Gardner

Really? Did you ever think that a man who could be emasculated by a strong woman maybe wasn't much of a man? Go put on your niqab and move to the middle east. There are "manly" men there.

pea 1 year, 5 months ago

Karen: woman are valuable and capable and deserve to be a part of this world. Someone lied to you.

Cynthia Schott 1 year, 5 months ago

Wow, Karen. I guess it's okay that women from all over the world have suffered from inequality, but wow, we don't want to cause any harm to the man. Wow, just Wow.

amazonratz 1 year, 5 months ago

Depending on their views, Karen may just find herself out of a nannying job. I wouldn't want her influencing my children.

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

I should be appointed KIng. Then I could make Karen babysitter for the grandkids.

For realzees girl? they are gonna kick you out of the club.

grammaddy 1 year, 5 months ago

Less freedom for women? Are you kidding me?I'm sure Romney can find a place for you. if not there;s always the Middle East.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 5 months ago

Karen, that is the greatest response I have ever read from OTS!! Not that I agree with you, but it is one for the record books for sure.

BTW, when did Babysitters decide to call themselves Nannies?

Caz Snwot 1 year, 5 months ago

karen corl... w....t..........f.....................

Bill Lee 1 year, 5 months ago

I'd like all cars to have the headlights on whenever the engine is running. Most GM models have this feature already, and it would increase the visibility of cars approaching me from the front or sides.

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 5 months ago

An increase on my social security chck and a free drivers license when I turn 100. Oh, get rid of the T and rebuild the Varsity House. ,

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

In the next century, 2112, I think our wishes will be a moot point. . . . .However, Buck Rogers might be cool. Otherwise, maybe we should start with hopes of the next decade.?.?.....

Temps writing for LJW again??

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

The Original Hick Cheese guy. Laugh included.

Sorry, Burt. But it is so easy. . . . .

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

BTW...Somehow LJW just violated its own user agreement. Umm..Where in this stupid question was anything posed about gay marriage or feminism? Seems the respondents were either baited with the wrong question posed or someone at LJW screwed the pooch on this one. Imagine that. . . .

Now. I am going to get back to watching Smokey and the Bandit. Have not seen it for 30+years and am reminded of some good ole' music.

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

R...U..Serious? This question would be better for the "Sound Off" morons.