Previous   Next

Would you be upset if your area post office closed?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 3, 2012

Browse the archives

“ Well, yeah. It would depend. I live in a small town. Where would you get your mail?”

“ We don’t use it really. We have the mail delivered.”

“ It would be inconvenient every now and then.”

“ I don’t know if I would care if my post office closed. I do everything online. I feel bad for the employees.”

Comments

Deja Coffin 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes I would be sad our post office closed but I would LOVE for them to find a new post master... this substitute post master is a joke and not doing his job.

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

" My_Life 2 hours, 9 minutes ago

My mailman leaves most of the neighborhood mail in my box. He expects me to deliver it from there. He can't read an address evidently."

Sounds like Karma, weirdo . . . Imagine that.

My_Life 1 year, 5 months ago

riverdrifter 1 year, 5 months ago

Just do away with Saturday delivery. Who cares? Keep the Mon-Fri mail moving over the weekend but that's it. No delivery on Sat. I go to the P.O. twice a week max and like O-Bob sez, it's mostly junk.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 5 months ago

Just got my mail from today only.

• Two Holland vote for him things.
  • One Knology haven't paid my bill thing. Could have been sent via email. And is complete BS. I think.
  • A Menards five dollar off coupon. No clue where the location of the nearest Menards is.
  • Time Magazine. Which I don't know why I still get since I haven't paid a bill for it in two years.

Basically, a 100% of useless mail today. Although, I will flip through Time this evening and get halfway through Joel Stein column before I throw the whole thing in the recycle pile do to way too much smugness.

Andini 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes. If they closed, I'd write them a letter!

alcoholbliss 1 year, 5 months ago

I'd be curious to see what comes through those rural PO boxes besides the ads. Let the government pay UPS, FedEx, and DHL to deliver the monthly Vision Cards, Social Security, Medicare and Pensions.

Email, electronic bank transfers-bill pay, FAX, mobile cell phones and tablets with 3&4G satellite data services, Schedule a pickup from UPS, FedEx, DHL, and others are enough options.

prospector 1 year, 5 months ago

I got a postcard today! Love my area P.O. when the checks come, not so much with the bills. The junk does not leave the building with me. No, I don't want five free tanning sessions.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't know. Probably not. I picked up my mail for the first time in a week yesterday and it was full of mostly nothing that needed opening. I don't think it is the post office's job to provide a social gathering place for small towns. If that is what is being asked here. Because that seems to be the main reason about why people are bitching about keeping small post offices open. It is 2012. 90% of the mail I get is worthless and the other 10% could be more efficiently delivered to me online.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 5 months ago

Funny, Many of these options were instituted in the early 1900's.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 5 months ago

The plan has four options for smaller rural Post Offices.
(1) reduce the hours at the post office
(2) close the post office and offer rural delivery to box holders
(3) close the post office and encourage box holders to get boxes at another post office
(4) close the post office and open a contract postal unit in the community.

msezdsit 1 year, 5 months ago

ups or fedex? Both ups and fedex use the us mail to deliver about 20% of their deliveries. Areas where it is not profitable for them to deliver mail. How will these people get mail if the Usps closes? The pony express?

msezdsit 1 year, 5 months ago

“ We don’t use it really. We have the mail delivered.” says Gary

Well if your post office is closed how are you going to get your mail delivered?

CWGOKU 1 year, 5 months ago

Heck no, then folks wouldn't see my wanted poster. Mail delivery should be reduced to every other day

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

If they close the Post Office what is Mr. Drucker going to do?

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

From yesterday. " RETICENT_IRREVERENT 21 hours, 14 minutes ago

"One of the main reasons it was instigated by the government was so farmers had longer daylight hours. At the time 90 percent of the population lived in rural areas." — Claire Webb

Wrong.

You better revise your revisionist history Claire. . . . . "

Damn R_I. You just gave both barrels. And I thought you were a tender guy. I know, being cut off from giving tenderness for a night can do that. I Love You.

RoeDapple 1 year, 5 months ago

Well hell yes! But I've survived the demise of analog clocks, Morse code, Pony Express and wagon trains, the Post Office is just another dinosaur that is rapidly losing its usefulness. Kinda like newspapers.

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

Not one bit. Keep the carriers though. Andy T. ROCKS! Always has.

Bill Lee 1 year, 5 months ago

Since I get my mail from a post office box, it would be a major inconvenience for me. It's also where the letter carriers get the mail they deliver to homes in Lawrence.,