Previous   Next

Were you ever in a spelling bee? What words did you struggle to spell?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 31, 2012

Browse the archives

“I wasn’t in a bee, but I was put in small groups with the good spellers and had to pick out challenging words. I remember ‘mayor’ and ‘crystal’ were quite the doozies, back in second grade.”

“In sixth grade, I mixed up the ‘e’ and ‘l’ in ‘label’ and felt like an idiot.”

“It was just in class, but I remember I had to spell ‘banana’ and ‘couch.’”

“I remember I had to spell ‘invalid,’ which is kind of hard.”

“I don’t remember, but I was always a bad speller.”

Related story

Comments

tange 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm given to 'being' spells. Not so much the vapors as the ethers.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

I loved Aunt Bea on Andy Griffith

thefisherman 1 year, 10 months ago

I won the spelling bee when I was in fifth grade. The word that I won on was "thrice". I also had to spell the word my opponent missed, which was "charcoal". He spelled it "charchoal".

I placed seventh in county, missing out on the word "fuel". I flipped the "u" and "e".

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Always fun to get caught in an intentional error by a troll while he misses the other two! (too? to? tew?)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

Nope. Words based on those damn French surrender monkeys. They make sounds like they are speaking with a mouth full of peanut butter.

Antonym 1 year, 10 months ago

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Greg Cooper 1 year, 10 months ago

I was in the Kansas Spelling Bee long, long ago, got knocked out by the word "paucity", and left in shame. Great time, though, especially for a kid of eleven, up in front of all those people. Also, that was the only time I ever enjoyed being in Topeka.

I wish all kids would learn to spell--it makes writing so much easier and informative. Even dumb ideas, presented well, seem cogent when spelled correctly and gramatically correct.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

invalid is hard? Well, I guess 'cat' is just out of the question. Good thing she's a teacher.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Ain't watched none of it. Had to watch WWE on the Spanish channel (MUN2) last night. Say, that channel out of Mexico can get kinda racy can't it?

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"autie (anonymous) says… So in part three of the Hatfields/Mccoy thing, was anybody else wishing for that sucubus Nancy McCoy to catch a mini ball through the forehead?"

There is a whore in every extended family. Johnse for the Hatfields and Nancy for the McCoys. The last two shows were entertaining enough, but for a six hour show, I'm not sure there needed to be that many plot holes on something based in fact.

Also, Kevin Costner is missing and has no idea this was the 2nd highest rated basic cable show ever.

/Blatantly misleading headline.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Its the principal of the thing. Unless your all a bunch of loosers

8-)

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

This is odd. I keep trying to quote DIST and say "rediculous" and the post gets eaten. Oh, well. Just another day on the award winning LJW.

Richard Payton 1 year, 10 months ago

Never in the spelling bee. One can go to spellingbee.com to check out the semifinalist. That Lawrence, KS girl Emma Steimle at age 14 is a better spelling than most adults. Vanya Shivashankar from Olathe is trying to follow the same path as her sister Kavya the 2009 national champ. Jordon Hoffman from Lee Summit another area girl still in the competition.

prospector 1 year, 10 months ago

Spill chuck well fax ale may miss steaks.

No buddy licks spilling...Mo butter

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm going to take singing lessons.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

No, but I wish I had. My mother was an English major and always on us about spelling and speaking properly. I'm a natural but never made it to the big show. So here I am, on the OTS, with Babboy

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

I knew I should have learned how to spell.

At some point, spelling is going to go down the tubes.....because of all of those text abbreviations that the kiddies use now a days. Drives me batty trying to read that garbage.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

I always wonder about that spell check feature. If one is to enter my real last name and see what the spell check suggests, you'd think it was psychic. Absolutely mind boggling.

BABBOY 1 year, 10 months ago

Not a strong speller. Only goood thing about computers are spell checkers. English classes caused some problems until I accepted the concept of putting a noun and verb in every sentence. That was in college and USD 501 never taught me anything like that. Never worry about such things on internet posts however....

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

I aways wondered if spacehog was supposed to be hyphenated..or just hy. Roe; them says the stones is unjudgeing. Ain't that unjudging? I feel baited. And it is nice and cool morning. It is alwasy nice and cool after the rain.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Teh trubble with spelin' bees is teh jugges don' unnerstan cuzin speek. And it's Heyzues "H" Kriste for cryin out luod! Gots too bee dummer than a rock too not knoe that!

Bill Lee 1 year, 10 months ago

I recall being in only one. In the fifth grade i misspelled cabinet by leaving out the i.

My_Life 1 year, 10 months ago

Nope......... Jesus F Christ Rock is always a hard one. Extremely difficult for simple minds to understand.

Stone is always an extra confusing little letter for some. But always remember, rock on, stoner and stoneress. Indyan loves all. He's immortal. Unwavering. Unfaltering. Unjudgeing. Impartial. Better than most. Truer than any other. Nothing is truer than a rock or stone, call it what you will. Doesn't change anything.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 10 months ago

Everyday on LJWorld.com is a spelling bee. The most often misspelled word in the LJW spelling bee comes from the grammar police: grammer.