Previous   Next

Were you ever in a spelling bee? What words did you struggle to spell?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 31, 2012

Browse the archives

“I wasn’t in a bee, but I was put in small groups with the good spellers and had to pick out challenging words. I remember ‘mayor’ and ‘crystal’ were quite the doozies, back in second grade.”

“In sixth grade, I mixed up the ‘e’ and ‘l’ in ‘label’ and felt like an idiot.”

“It was just in class, but I remember I had to spell ‘banana’ and ‘couch.’”

“I remember I had to spell ‘invalid,’ which is kind of hard.”

“I don’t remember, but I was always a bad speller.”

Related story

Comments

My_Life 2 years, 1 month ago

Nope......... Jesus F Christ Rock is always a hard one. Extremely difficult for simple minds to understand.

Stone is always an extra confusing little letter for some. But always remember, rock on, stoner and stoneress. Indyan loves all. He's immortal. Unwavering. Unfaltering. Unjudgeing. Impartial. Better than most. Truer than any other. Nothing is truer than a rock or stone, call it what you will. Doesn't change anything.

gphawk89 2 years, 1 month ago

F? F??? It's H. Thought everyone knew that. Although no one has ever been able to tell me what the H stands for.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

The "devine" monogram of Jesus has been translated in several ways but most agree it is JHC

Bill Lee 2 years, 1 month ago

I recall being in only one. In the fifth grade i misspelled cabinet by leaving out the i.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Teh trubble with spelin' bees is teh jugges don' unnerstan cuzin speek. And it's Heyzues "H" Kriste for cryin out luod! Gots too bee dummer than a rock too not knoe that!

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

You sure seem a happy dude to me! Most of the time anyhow . . .

Richard Payton 2 years, 1 month ago

Never in the spelling bee. One can go to spellingbee.com to check out the semifinalist. That Lawrence, KS girl Emma Steimle at age 14 is a better spelling than most adults. Vanya Shivashankar from Olathe is trying to follow the same path as her sister Kavya the 2009 national champ. Jordon Hoffman from Lee Summit another area girl still in the competition.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Its the principal of the thing. Unless your all a bunch of loosers

8-)

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

You missed the obvious . . . oh, never mind.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Ain't watched none of it. Had to watch WWE on the Spanish channel (MUN2) last night. Say, that channel out of Mexico can get kinda racy can't it?

JackMcKee 2 years, 1 month ago

invalid is hard? Well, I guess 'cat' is just out of the question. Good thing she's a teacher.

Greg Cooper 2 years, 1 month ago

I was in the Kansas Spelling Bee long, long ago, got knocked out by the word "paucity", and left in shame. Great time, though, especially for a kid of eleven, up in front of all those people. Also, that was the only time I ever enjoyed being in Topeka.

I wish all kids would learn to spell--it makes writing so much easier and informative. Even dumb ideas, presented well, seem cogent when spelled correctly and gramatically correct.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Always fun to get caught in an intentional error by a troll while he misses the other two! (too? to? tew?)

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Thought that might bring you back! So easy . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Internet toughguys are pretty much the same rantor, but you are a little more pathetic than most. Should I be worried? Nah, being less than nothing seems to suit you just fine.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Its / It's principal / principle your / you're loosers / losers lack of puncuation mark at end of second semtence second sentence is incomplete sentence

Wow, cipher much? I had six, others may find more.

thefisherman 2 years, 1 month ago

I won the spelling bee when I was in fifth grade. The word that I won on was "thrice". I also had to spell the word my opponent missed, which was "charcoal". He spelled it "charchoal".

I placed seventh in county, missing out on the word "fuel". I flipped the "u" and "e".