Previous   Next

Do you have a favorite family recipe, and what is it?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 23, 2012

Browse the archives

“There’s this awesome casserole dish my grandma made. It has broccoli, chicken, cheese and a lot of spices.”

“We have this pumpkin pie cake that’s delicious.”

“No, I rarely cook.”

“Yes I do. It’s my godmother’s potato salad.”

Related story

Comments

geekin_topekan 1 year, 10 months ago

This recipe is meant as informational only. Incitement is not my intention. never has been, never will be.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

Geekin -

You may have just given me instructions to build a home made bomb. I don't know. I am still doing this. The 5 gallon water jug. I can snag one from work. I have a warm, dark place in an unused bedroom with the shade down that faces West. Warmest room in the house. And it is dark.

Do you need to scrape mold off the top prior to drinking? If so, I'm just going to buy a bottle of Kentucky Thoroughbred.

Bailey Perkins 1 year, 10 months ago

my bf's father's Louisiana Gumbo

Only thing even remotely close (that I've tried) is the dish at Terrebonne.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

How do you put a bag of oranges into a five gallon water bottle?

tange 1 year, 10 months ago

Cipe something once, why cipe it again?

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"geekin_topekan (anonymous) replies… Maybe Pruno does, this is Papa's recipe!"

What does your Papa call it? This sounds like an interesting experiment. What is the purpose of the potato? Looks like you need a big jug with a nozzle that will fit a balloon around. I. Am. Intrigued.

LadyJ 1 year, 10 months ago

I just came from Dairy Queen, hubby had a craving for onion rings. A woman walked up behind me with her son, about 4 yrs old. I heard her ask him what he wanted for dinner, a sandwich or ice cream. Of course he chose ice cream. About that time her husband walked up with their other child, about nine, who also chose ice cream for dinner. Just when I thought I had seen it all.

labmonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

Good thing this wasn't asked across the state line. Many Missouri recipes involve anhydrous ammonia.

0day 1 year, 10 months ago

My mother made a great dessert which she called golden bananas. She would sauté chunks of bananas in butter with brown sugar, puréed gram crackers and a splash of capt. Morgan spiced rum then serve it all over French vanilla ice cream. Simple yet divine.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

Geekin - I thought Pruno had ketchup in it.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 10 months ago

5 packages of bread yeast. 4 gallons warm water 1 bag of Oranges 5 cans of juice concentrate (apple, orange, pomegranate, it doesnt really matter) 10lbs sugar 1 potato Love 1 rubber band 1 large balloon

Shake it all up in a big bottle, poke a pinhole in the balloon and stretch it over the mouth of the bottle and let it sizzle like bacon frying. Dont shake or disturb for at least three weeks or until the balloon deflates. Serve warm in a soda bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag.

Enjoy.

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks Autie!

<---Cash girl!

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

In deference to g_rock, one should refer to that entity as 'stones'. My kid is listening to Dylan now. The hog has even had an influence on her. I thought there had been a skip in the space/time continuum when I found her listening to Dylan and Johnny Cash.
♣free spacehog♣

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"but the zebra? Where do you buy one?"

Orscheln's. But not the one in Lawrence.

"autie (anonymous) says… O'Bob, I understand we may be prone to mindless banter on occassion, however, could you make heads or tails out of the first post? "

She was insulting Rara. I'm going to find her rock and smash it with my sledgehammer.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Autie told me to be tolerant on here, even with rock lovers, so I will, as long as no one gives my phone number to John Travolta

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

O'Bob, I understand we may be prone to mindless banter on occassion, however, could you make heads or tails out of the first post? Dirty stones in mud puddles, rotten meat? Is that what happens to Falwellites?

riverdrifter 1 year, 10 months ago

My mom used to make this stuff and I always like having a few pints of it around. I'd simmer a bit of it in a sauce pan and serve it over grilled porkchops. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1836,156167-255205,00.html

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"Big fat homemade noodles...for the chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes." G

Oh, hell yeah. My grandmother used to make that. Good stuff.

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

Big fat homemade noodles...for the chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Sure, Burger King, Taco Bell, Hardees..................... No McDonalds, can't stand that place, and they put chemicals in their food so the Government can track you.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

The wife's grandmother's family was shocked to find a couple of bottles of rum dating back to the '50's in her cabinets after her passing. No one suspected she ever touched liquor in any form. Turns out she used it frequently . . . in her tapioca pudding recipe! That stuff was a taste of heaven, no one has matched it yet.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Bourbon on ice , beer chaser. Say, what beer goes best with pork rinds?

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 10 months ago

My mother (and grandmother)'s baked bean recipe. But then that's like meat loaf; everybody has their own way of doing it.

prospector 1 year, 10 months ago

Kind of like asking, which of your children is your favorite?

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

"OTS asking these prying personal questions, trying to find out about my personal habits and life"

If they think they have me figured out based on my answers here . . well . .

Bill Lee 1 year, 10 months ago

I have several, but my favorite was my dad's divinity. Unfortunately I lost it in a fire six years ago. The one I attempt most often is my ex-wife's potato salad. I have a great carrot cake recipe that I got from an old girl friend. I keep wanting to try it, but I don't bake much anymore.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

Actually, I am getting a bit peeved with the OTS asking these prying personal questions, trying to find out about my personal habits and life. What's next drones?

They should ask hard hitting social questions such as "Is Sam Brownback's road map just a highway to Hell or the path to prosperity?

rockchalker52 1 year, 10 months ago

Yah, we gots a world-class peanut brittle recipe that was given to my mom by a dear old neighbor lady. Best. Peanut Brittle. Ever. And I don't even like the stuff. Also have a few brisket recipes from dear ol' mama that make it so tender & good. My BIL has a recipe for really scrumptious chocolate chip cookies. Lots & lots of butter is the key, he tells me.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh, I neglected to say, If you are dieting use pint Mason jars . . . Then burn calories by filling twice as oftenenener.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

Of course. Dozens of 'em. But if I shared, I'd have to kill you.

I'm afraid tthat there really isn't any secret family reciepes. Somebody else's Momma did the same thing.....you know it, I know it and the American people know. But I might try Roe's conncocoction with Andind's...sans the unfiltered Marlboros...man, do they really make those?

LadyJ 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks LJW for reminding me there is something that definitely needs to be on my bucket list for the summer. A pastry that cannot be made strictly from a recipe. The recipe is just a guide line, it must be practiced from trial and error, very time consuming and expensive, and I haven't done it in a while. I'm the only one that took the time (lots of time) to have my mother teach me how, after me, it's gone. Only problem is all the eating to get it just right, very fattening. Fortunately hubby is very willing to help on that end.

grammaddy 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes! Eggs Benedict, but Benny won't let me talk about it.It's patented.

Andini 1 year, 10 months ago

Old Milwaukee, pork rinds & unfiltered Marlboros.

tange 1 year, 10 months ago

Just a recipe for disaster.

/ It begins with a flirt

jonas_opines 1 year, 10 months ago

We had a large, ageing family, and so had a great recipe for Soylent Green.

It varied, though, from person to person.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

1/2 bottle Corona 1/2 can frozen lime concentrate 1 cup Jose Cuervo 1/2 cup water salt to taste

Pour all ingredients int blender then fill blender with ice. Blend until ice becomes 'slush'

Pour into quart Mason jars. Prepare to smile . . .

deec 1 year, 10 months ago

Chocolate chip cookies. Because even revolutionaries like chocolate chip cookies. Also, it was grandma's recipe.

My_Life 1 year, 10 months ago

Indyan has taken to running around shirtless and singing Bob Dylan songs. He also refuses to bathe except for once a year in some scummy pond. Where in the heck is He getting these insane notions? This ain't gonna work out for our upcoming wedding. Obama won't wanna give away any stinky old meat.