Previous   Next

Do you have a favorite family recipe, and what is it?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 23, 2012

Browse the archives

“There’s this awesome casserole dish my grandma made. It has broccoli, chicken, cheese and a lot of spices.”

“We have this pumpkin pie cake that’s delicious.”

“No, I rarely cook.”

“Yes I do. It’s my godmother’s potato salad.”

Related story

Comments

My_Life 2 years, 7 months ago

Indyan has taken to running around shirtless and singing Bob Dylan songs. He also refuses to bathe except for once a year in some scummy pond. Where in the heck is He getting these insane notions? This ain't gonna work out for our upcoming wedding. Obama won't wanna give away any stinky old meat.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

Clearly intervention is called for here. I think he is trying to tell you that he wants to return to his native habitat. You have to know when to hold him tight and when to let him loose. Free Indyan before something happens you can't live with.

deec 2 years, 7 months ago

Chocolate chip cookies. Because even revolutionaries like chocolate chip cookies. Also, it was grandma's recipe.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

1/2 bottle Corona 1/2 can frozen lime concentrate 1 cup Jose Cuervo 1/2 cup water salt to taste

Pour all ingredients int blender then fill blender with ice. Blend until ice becomes 'slush'

Pour into quart Mason jars. Prepare to smile . . .

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

Mine is much easier. It involves 180 proof grain alcohol, sugar (a skillet and heat source to slightly brown the sugar) and water.

jonas_opines 2 years, 7 months ago

We had a large, ageing family, and so had a great recipe for Soylent Green.

It varied, though, from person to person.

grammaddy 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes! Eggs Benedict, but Benny won't let me talk about it.It's patented.

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks LJW for reminding me there is something that definitely needs to be on my bucket list for the summer. A pastry that cannot be made strictly from a recipe. The recipe is just a guide line, it must be practiced from trial and error, very time consuming and expensive, and I haven't done it in a while. I'm the only one that took the time (lots of time) to have my mother teach me how, after me, it's gone. Only problem is all the eating to get it just right, very fattening. Fortunately hubby is very willing to help on that end.

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

Funny, both this recipe and the one I posted above for Roe, are made for weddings.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Oh, I neglected to say, If you are dieting use pint Mason jars . . . Then burn calories by filling twice as oftenenener.

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

Yah, we gots a world-class peanut brittle recipe that was given to my mom by a dear old neighbor lady. Best. Peanut Brittle. Ever. And I don't even like the stuff. Also have a few brisket recipes from dear ol' mama that make it so tender & good. My BIL has a recipe for really scrumptious chocolate chip cookies. Lots & lots of butter is the key, he tells me.

Bill Lee 2 years, 7 months ago

I have several, but my favorite was my dad's divinity. Unfortunately I lost it in a fire six years ago. The one I attempt most often is my ex-wife's potato salad. I have a great carrot cake recipe that I got from an old girl friend. I keep wanting to try it, but I don't bake much anymore.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

"OTS asking these prying personal questions, trying to find out about my personal habits and life"

If they think they have me figured out based on my answers here . . well . .

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 7 months ago

My mother (and grandmother)'s baked bean recipe. But then that's like meat loaf; everybody has their own way of doing it.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

When you think about it, probably every cop could write a book about all of the things he sees during the course of his job. The bird I could see owning, but the zebra? Where do you buy one? Was it potty trained or did it have one of those diapers they make for dogs?

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

The wife's grandmother's family was shocked to find a couple of bottles of rum dating back to the '50's in her cabinets after her passing. No one suspected she ever touched liquor in any form. Turns out she used it frequently . . . in her tapioca pudding recipe! That stuff was a taste of heaven, no one has matched it yet.

riverdrifter 2 years, 7 months ago

My mom used to make this stuff and I always like having a few pints of it around. I'd simmer a bit of it in a sauce pan and serve it over grilled porkchops. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1836,156167-255205,00.html

geekin_topekan 2 years, 7 months ago

5 packages of bread yeast. 4 gallons warm water 1 bag of Oranges 5 cans of juice concentrate (apple, orange, pomegranate, it doesnt really matter) 10lbs sugar 1 potato Love 1 rubber band 1 large balloon

Shake it all up in a big bottle, poke a pinhole in the balloon and stretch it over the mouth of the bottle and let it sizzle like bacon frying. Dont shake or disturb for at least three weeks or until the balloon deflates. Serve warm in a soda bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag.

Enjoy.

sassypants 2 years, 6 months ago

I sent you a personal message geekin_topekan. I need more details of the can size for the juice, lol.

labmonkey 2 years, 7 months ago

Good thing this wasn't asked across the state line. Many Missouri recipes involve anhydrous ammonia.

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

I just came from Dairy Queen, hubby had a craving for onion rings. A woman walked up behind me with her son, about 4 yrs old. I heard her ask him what he wanted for dinner, a sandwich or ice cream. Of course he chose ice cream. About that time her husband walked up with their other child, about nine, who also chose ice cream for dinner. Just when I thought I had seen it all.

geekin_topekan 2 years, 7 months ago

A 5 gallon refillable water botttle works great.

I have no idea what purpose the potato serves, Ive never used it myself.

Make sure your water is warm, not hot. the Yeasties love warm water. if they get too cool, they get PO'd and then there's heck to pay.

A large balloon stretches easily over the 3" hole on a water bottle. use tha rubber band to secure it. Dental floss works well for this purpose also.

the ballon inflates as the CO2 is expelled by the yeast (yeast farts) and will escape through the pinhole fast enough to prevent outside contaminants from entering through the same hole but slow enough to inflate the balloon.

Place is a warm, dark place and leave them alone. When the balloon deflates you've got a jug o' sunshine!

Put on some Pat Methany, invite your favorite gal over and watch out.

geekin_topekan 2 years, 7 months ago

Hey, we did that in school with a peeled hard boiled egg in a milk bottle. It works!

Section up the oranges and just sort of smoosh them in.

Bailey Perkins 2 years, 7 months ago

my bf's father's Louisiana Gumbo

Only thing even remotely close (that I've tried) is the dish at Terrebonne.

geekin_topekan 2 years, 7 months ago

Once the yeasts die, they sink to the bottom in an unceremonious sludge. Carefully take piece of hose, aquarium air hose from the pet store works best and siphon off the clear liquid from the top down. (You can skip the oranges too if you want, it makes this stage soooo much easier). Siphon the clear recipe into whatever bottles you've collected, i like old soda bottles because you can squeeze them to remove any dead air before capping which is important. Airborne yuckies can't live without air.

Once you've siphoned off as close to the sludge as you dare, just call it a day and toss the remainder down the sink. It's all organic, wont hurt anything. Dont let your friends dissuade you with stories of going blind. Chemically, there is nothing here that can make you go blind, or rather, cause ocular damage, you may stumble around blind for days on Mass. Been there/ done that.

The only bomb to fear may come the morning after but I am sure you have your own containment methods.

Three weeks is about the average. If it comes out too dank, adjust your sugar-yeast ratios. Experiment and have a blast.

geekin_topekan 2 years, 7 months ago

OK, got me looking at my archives. 5 gallon of recipe calls for;

5 cans of Kroger apple juice. 20 cups of granulated sugar. 5 Pkgs Fleishmann yeast

Wake the yeast up with warm water (not hot!) on the stove. When they get foamie that means they're awake.

Mix with all other ingredients, shake vigorously, top off with tap water to about two inches from the top and cover with balloon. Store in warm dark spot for 25 days. In 5 minutes you should see a slight bubbling action. In 20 min. the balloon should be standing erect. 1 hour, you should see increased bubbling and an audible hiss. In 25 days you should have some of papa's recipe. I called it Daddy Long Legs but I soon found out it was taken by a vineyard in Missouri so you'll have to come up with your own name.

geekin_topekan 2 years, 6 months ago

This recipe is meant as informational only. Incitement is not my intention. never has been, never will be.