Previous   Next

Do you ever ride a bike to work?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 19, 2012

Browse the archives

“We did a commuter challenge in Wichita and I rode my bike against a bus and a car and I won.”

“No, but I should. I plan to in the future.”

“No.”

“I haven’t. We never get them out.”

Comments

labmonkey 2 years, 7 months ago

I did a couple times in Lawrence and many times when I lived in Emporia. My commute right now is 50 miles one way so no way.

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

he either loves his job or loves where he lives

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

I dunno, Roe, a bike might prove handy if you end up with another blown tranny.

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

I ride 12-30 miles a day for the exercise but I couldn't ride to work. I'd have to shower and change clothes at the office. By shower I mean towel off in the men's room, there isn't an actual shower there. In other words, not practical. Luckily my office is only 2 miles from home and I only go in about once a week.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

It would be extremely cool if you got stuck and a golden retriever appeared and cleared the way for you. Or, something like the dog that appeared to Odd Thomas when he was at the retreat. Sigh, the odds are so against that happening.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

Okay, so check this out. I am riding my bike and I come to a red light so I stop and I put my left hand on the bumper of the car next to me to steady myself. The driver yells at me, I yell back that my hand did not hurt the car and, hey, I do wash that hand. What is with some drivers? Seriously.

pizzapete 2 years, 7 months ago

Hand on the bumper? Where you riding a tricycle?

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 7 months ago

Thousands of dollars are spent putting in bicycle lanes that are seldom used. If the bicycle community desires these lanes, then they should be liscensed and be required to pay for at least part of the cost of these lanes.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

If they own homes, automobiles, pay income taxes and sales taxes they already do pay for part of these lanes and the roads they ride on.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 7 months ago

Yada yada yada..

You know what I mean. Many of these bicycle riders are the hippie types who have no desire to work, pay very little if any income taxes, and are generally losers.

These bicycle lanes are basically unfunded additions that are funded by those of us who produce and actually put into the system.

Maybe I like hookers, why not have the taxpayers put in a whore house for people like me? There is not much difference.

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

that is insane, c_h_i_w. You are jaw dropping readable, though.

mcallaigh 2 years, 7 months ago

The two people I know of that commute via bicycle are professionals, definitely not hippies, and definitely not assuming trash you champion yourself to be.

I think I speak for a lot of us, go away... just go away

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 7 months ago

I too think I speak for a lot of us. Pay your own way and your own freeking bills... just pay your own bills.

chootspa 2 years, 7 months ago

And that's supposed to be a bad thing why?

gphawk89 2 years, 7 months ago

Maybe once per year. It takes me a year each time to forget why I never want to do it again. Bike-unfriendly roads, bike-unfriendly motorists, and a bike-unfriendly employer (no place to change or shower, no bike racks). It's about ten miles each way so would be a great way to get some exercise every day - it's just too dangerous and inconvenient.

Linda and Bill Houghton 2 years, 7 months ago

I bicycle commuted most of my working life (anything from 2-15 miles one-way). A couple of places I worked had showers available so I could ride as hard as I wanted when working there. For the others I had to take it a little easier. Now in my mid-seventies I run errands on the bicycle (unless the streets are slick) and don't use much gasoline. I also enjoy going on organized rides in the 100-250 mile range. I have a nice resting pulse rate, typically in the 50s.

chootspa 2 years, 7 months ago

And you know that people not abiding the road rules are liberals again, why? Special snowflake conservatives can ride bikes, too.