Previous   Next

Do you ever ride a bike to work?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 19, 2012

Browse the archives

“We did a commuter challenge in Wichita and I rode my bike against a bus and a car and I won.”

“No, but I should. I plan to in the future.”

“No.”

“I haven’t. We never get them out.”

Comments

prospector 1 year, 11 months ago

My last commute was 456 miles one way, so no.

I never knew that some conservatives around here have forgotten how to ride a bike and need to compensate for it. Sad

anticommunist 1 year, 11 months ago

Liberals are soo cool when they ride bikes in the middle of the street instead of in the designated bike lane, and when they don't stop at stop signs. I mean, they're saving the, like, environment.

thuja 1 year, 11 months ago

I hate it when I make a killer comment and the thread is dead!!!!!

thuja 1 year, 11 months ago

Do you suppose all of the pollution, wars, environmental disasters, and social and political instability generated by oil drilling is justified by not being worried about smelling like a human while you are at work?

Linda and Bill Houghton 1 year, 11 months ago

I bicycle commuted most of my working life (anything from 2-15 miles one-way). A couple of places I worked had showers available so I could ride as hard as I wanted when working there. For the others I had to take it a little easier. Now in my mid-seventies I run errands on the bicycle (unless the streets are slick) and don't use much gasoline. I also enjoy going on organized rides in the 100-250 mile range. I have a nice resting pulse rate, typically in the 50s.

gphawk89 1 year, 11 months ago

Maybe once per year. It takes me a year each time to forget why I never want to do it again. Bike-unfriendly roads, bike-unfriendly motorists, and a bike-unfriendly employer (no place to change or shower, no bike racks). It's about ten miles each way so would be a great way to get some exercise every day - it's just too dangerous and inconvenient.

Gandalf 1 year, 11 months ago

Used to back when I was in my late 20's. Road 7 miles one way when it was nice out. Doctors still marvel that my blood pressure is better than theirs! :)

Andini 1 year, 11 months ago

I ride my stationary bike daily. It gets me nowhere.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 11 months ago

With liberals in charge we could be riding bikes everywhere.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

Thousands of dollars are spent putting in bicycle lanes that are seldom used. If the bicycle community desires these lanes, then they should be liscensed and be required to pay for at least part of the cost of these lanes.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Okay, so check this out. I am riding my bike and I come to a red light so I stop and I put my left hand on the bumper of the car next to me to steady myself. The driver yells at me, I yell back that my hand did not hurt the car and, hey, I do wash that hand. What is with some drivers? Seriously.

Negotiator 1 year, 11 months ago

Riding a bike is work. So yes.

g_rock 1 year, 11 months ago

It doesn't work so well with my skirt and heels.

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh hell no, wish I could but 20 plus miles is too far and too dangerous on the highway. A snow day would be rough

Andini 1 year, 11 months ago

Not right now but used to when I lived less than two miles from work.

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

I ride 12-30 miles a day for the exercise but I couldn't ride to work. I'd have to shower and change clothes at the office. By shower I mean towel off in the men's room, there isn't an actual shower there. In other words, not practical. Luckily my office is only 2 miles from home and I only go in about once a week.

tange 1 year, 11 months ago

As a teen, I biked 10 miles (one way) to and from work. Wouldn't think of doing it today.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

I dunno, Roe, a bike might prove handy if you end up with another blown tranny.

labmonkey 1 year, 11 months ago

I did a couple times in Lawrence and many times when I lived in Emporia. My commute right now is 50 miles one way so no way.