Previous   Next

Are there things about Lawrence traffic that you dislike or are frustrated by?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 18, 2012

Browse the archives

“The intersection at 31st and Louisiana — I think it should be a light rather than a four-way stop.”

“As a pedestrian, all the intersections crossing 23rd are difficult.”

“23rd and Haskell is frustrating.”

“I wish the parking meters were a little less expensive.”

Comments

acg 1 year, 10 months ago

I think the fact that Tennessee and KY are one way up to 19th street is very confusing for newbies. Each year I see a student (assuming cause it's always a young'un with out of state tags) driving down Tennessee street in the wrong lane. They should make those one-ways all the way to 23rd or someone's going to get killed.

Liberty275 1 year, 11 months ago

Not the traffic. but the extremely foolish way the light is set up at barker and 23rd. If you are turning north off of 23rd, you can get caught at a red light while cars come up from behind accelerating to 55 as the hit K10. I won't usually sit at that light unless I see a cop.

pace 1 year, 11 months ago

When I was in Peru, during heavy traffic, it was quite simple, I closed my eyes and prayed. I admit I was in a taxi, but oh my.

Mike Gerhardt 1 year, 11 months ago

You whiners don't know what real traffic is. Try watching five cars squeezed into a three lane street. Imagine having to dodge cars parking on the sidewalk. Imagine taking two hours to go a little over a mile and a half. Now that's real traffic!

alcoholbliss 1 year, 11 months ago

Annoying ,some old people should probably have their drivers license revoked, no depth perception of distance and how fast traffic is moving towards them when they pull out, and then they drive 20 + mph under the speed limit as if to go any faster they'd loose complete control.

Not so annoying, are the guy/gals behind me honking that the lights have just changed green to go, (as if I'm not paying attention) and then they race around me to the very next red light, (duh idiot, you win) where I can then return them the favor of honking at them the very moment the light changes to green to make sure that they are paying attention and remind them that they are still in a hurry :P.

Joe Hyde 1 year, 11 months ago

So many aggressive, rude drivers (male and female equally, even the handicapped get into the act); tailgaters; stop light runners; stop sign runners; drivers on Mass St. whipping illegal U-turns across the double yellow line to steal an opposite side parking stall; drivers and passengers tossing litter (esp. burning cigarettes).

LPD, DCSD and KUPD could work wonders improving local driver behavior (and thereby improving general public safety) if each department would add to their respective patrol fleet at least one totally unmarked traffic unit. For moving violations of all categories Lawrence is a target-rich environment deserving of a focused enforcement campaign.

Lane Signal 1 year, 11 months ago

There are a few places in Lawrence where the streets squeeze down to a single forward bound lane now for no good reason. 2 examples I can think of are south bound on Mass at around 14th Street and north bound on Iowa just before 6th Street. These used to allow 2 lanes forward. I see no benefit to funneling down to a single lane. It's just maddening.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

"Are there things about Lawrence traffic that you dislike or are frustrated by?"

Yes. I dislike the fact that there are so many traffic accidents in Lawrence and many other places, and I am frustrated because there is very little I can do about it other than to drive very carefully myself.

Geiiga 1 year, 11 months ago

23rd street at night is a clusterf....

I mean, seriously. I come in to town every night at around 11pm, and if I'm obeying the speed limits, every single light is red for me. Haskell, Harper, Barker (!), Mass, Louisiana, and Alabama (can't get too upset about Naismith since that's my left turn).

On the other hand, if I drive 7-10 mph over, I've got a fighting chance for my first red light to be when I turn left on Naismith. Which is impossible on the 45mph portion of 23rd east of Mass because only about one in ten drivers appears to notice the white signs with the giant black 45 on them.

Seems like after about 11 we could go to flashing amber on 23rd/flashing red on the cross streets.

booyalab 1 year, 11 months ago

For the most part, Kansans do not know what traffic is. I have witnessed native Kansans in other states that don't even have the worst traffic problems in the nation, like MN or TX. They express shock and dismay when they decide to go anywhere at 6pm, as if the concept of rush hour is totally new...which to them it is. (having your drive take 5 minutes longer than it would at 2pm is not rush hour)

booyalab 1 year, 11 months ago

“I wish the parking meters were a little less expensive.”

They are actually very cheap. Few cities' meters accept nickels and dimes and usually you can't get any time for less than a dollar.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

Where did that cellist chick in Ra Ra Riot go?

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

The traffic is fine to me, as long as I remember that I am not in England

justanotherface 1 year, 11 months ago

When in the hell are they gonna get Mass street back to 2 lanes each direction between 19th & 17th Streets?! The new Dillons construction is turning into a real pain in the @$$!

Bob Harvey 1 year, 11 months ago

Cell phones and texting. It's getting to be that I see the top of people's heads more than I do their faces. After being run into by one texting fool while sitting at a traffic light I wish there was something that could be installed in the cars that would disable them.. They are pretty easy to spot, swerving from side to side looking down at their crotch. Stop it. You are going to kill somebody.

purplesage 1 year, 11 months ago

Roundabouts. Construction on the SAME roads, year after year after year (e.g. Hwy 59 from the river brindge north). Lack of clear striping on the roadways. .

Richard Payton 1 year, 11 months ago

No problems if you own that Terrafugia (flying car). The Jetson's must live in Lawrence, KS.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

I betcha tailgaters have the lowest average IQ of any sub-group of licensed drivers. The blinking left turn arrows are nice traffic movers.
Sure has changed from when I was riding my bike on a gravel road south of 23rd. You prolly know it as Alabama street.

prospector 1 year, 11 months ago

g_rock 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh and I despise bicycle people that don't stop at stop signs. I really don't get that.

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

People that drive 35 on Clinton Parkway.

gccs14r 1 year, 11 months ago

I wish the city would leave the light at 19th and Haskell operational overnight, instead of converting it to flashing red/yellow at 2200.

g_rock 1 year, 11 months ago

I tell folks all the time that from where I live, I can get anyplace in Lawrence in 8 minutes unless there is a basketball game.

friendlyjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

All that necessary road work botches up the traffic flow and makes drivers crazy. Is that a remedy for that? Yep, control yourself. Wish drivers using phones would be ticketed. Also wish drivers would get the hell out of the way for emergency vehicles quickly.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 11 months ago

For a small town we don't really have much of a problem, most of the problems are caused by the drivers in a hurry, should have left home 10 min. sooner, and get of my back bumper, most drivers are relaying on the brakes to stop real quick, buddy they do fail--

50YearResident 1 year, 11 months ago

Center of street barriers. With streets not wide enough already, Lawrence has to install pedestrian ilands and curbs in the center of the street to make sure cars stay on their side. If the city had to pay for damages done when a car doesn't quite clear the barrier, it would run into millions of dollars. Iowa street was one of the worst before they took some of them out just to put more in. Now Lousiana St. from 19th to 31st is the #1 vehicle destroyer in town. Do we really have a Street engineer?

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

I wish there more trash cans around to make it more convenient for me to throw away my parking tickets.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 11 months ago

"Loki (anonymous) says… There is traffic in Lawrence?"

Not really. I guess 23rd street sometimes.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

Didn't a prolific poster on this award-winning website say that potholes were good traffic-calming devices?

thuja 1 year, 11 months ago

It is becoming more commonplace for people to run red lights.

Also, please stay in the left turn lane and wait for the crosswalk to clear instead of creeping up (across the other lane) to the people so they are walking in front of your grill.

Back off, pushy driver!

Get off your damn phone!

funkdog1 1 year, 11 months ago

All of the left-hand turn lights in town that only last about 20 seconds. Invariably, the first driver isn't paying attention when the light turns green, wasting about 10 seconds before the second driver will honk to get their attention, because we're polite in the midwest. Also, all of the Missouri drivers who seem to think that every large intersection in town is equipped with double left hand turn lanes. I don't know how many times I've seen a Missouri driver make a left hand turn from an outside lane that is NOT designated for left turns.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

A romp on a memory foam mattress is like copulating in quicksand. That is frustrating. Traffic in Lawrence? Just deal with it.

repaste 1 year, 11 months ago

Cell phones, they are killing us.

Andini 1 year, 11 months ago

UPS and FedEx drivers parking anywhere they please..

Andini 1 year, 11 months ago

5 bucks says that Babboy talks about road rage today?

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

The biggest trafffic problem..is all they other cars. If you people would just leave your cars in the driveway (parked across the sidewalk) it wouldn't be a problem at all. The second biggest problem are all those damn law breaking bicycle hippies.

Andini 1 year, 11 months ago

I wish there were less cars on the road and I would really own the road then.

tange 1 year, 11 months ago

All the substance abuse casualties.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

As a life long professional driver I do not get frustrated with traffic problems. . I anticipate them. (if driving makes you angry, you are the problem.)

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

"I also think the roundabouts have completely backfired, Just think of the bother it poses to the fire department and ambulances."

Fire and Emergency services have been consulted on traffic calming devices. They also have special privileges when approaching a traffic calming device during emergency runs in order to not compromise their efforts.

Caz Snwot 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with sarah. that intersection is redonk-a-donk.

pace 1 year, 11 months ago

The traffic patterns at the Lecompton turnpike exiting onto Highway 40, especially around 5 pm, and at night, is horrible. Same set up on hw 4 in Topeka exiting onto Hw 40 has lights and makes sense. Highway 40 and the western turnpike road is oddly confusing and dangerous.

Kenny Nall 1 year, 11 months ago

None of the incidents mentioned above do I have a problem with. Plus, there are numerous intersections with lights that are terrible. So adding a stoplight to an intersection doesn't always make it more convenient or even more safe for that matter.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 11 months ago

Several intersections in the past few years have upgraded left-turn arrows. It seems to confuse many drivers when they have a blinking yellow left-turn arrow and oncoming traffic gets a green light and green left-turn arrow. This leads to near collisions for those not familiar with them. (Examples: Northbound Iowa at 34th, Iowa at 33rd and the 19th and Louisiana intersection.)

Loki 1 year, 11 months ago

There is traffic in Lawrence?