Previous   Next

Have you ever boated or fished along the Kansas River?

Asked at downtown on May 15, 2012

Browse the archives

““I fished when I was 7. My cousin, my brother and my aunt went down there and we fished. We caught catfishes and we just went home and ate them.” ”

““Not along the Kansas River. My family has got a lot of fishing property other places.” ”

““Not along the Kansas River. But I’ve fished with friends in their ponds and at Clinton Lake before.” ”

““No, but I have friends that do. One even swims there.””

Comments

My_Life 2 years, 3 months ago

It was five years ago today that this country lost a great leader of the moral majority. Since then morality has taken a nose dive. Jerry Falwell is truly missed by those who care about the hearts and souls of the developing youth in this great USA. With any luck Jesus will be back soon to straighten out this whole convoluted mess. Please say a prayer for the late great Dr Jerry Falwell. God bless Reverend Jerry Falwell. Life will never be the same without his insightful leadership and wisdom. How can anyone with any moral fabric even think of boating and fishing on the anniversary of such a tragic event. Just another sign of the degenerative conditions of society.

pace 2 years, 3 months ago

Did he die in the Kaw river? It is a dangerous place to swim. All my life I have heard of kids and adults, just gone to the river. I am sorry for your loss.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Yup. Forty plus years ago. The fish could kill you then too. Strictly catch and release. I do plan to go shooting this week on the sandbar though.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Sand blasting, sand trap, sand hazard . . . Dangerous stuff, I tell you.

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

Let's not forget quick sand. I actually read how to make your own quicksand.

JackMcKee 2 years, 3 months ago

I did once. I grew a fourth arm.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 3 months ago

Yep to both questions, when I was a teenager we would swim and fish on the mighty Kaw. In the early to mid 50's (after the 51 flood) we would run motor boats up and down the river just about every Sunday afternoon,from the dam up past the turnpike bridge they were building at that time. There would be maybe 10-15 boaters, and that would be cause to ask, WANT A RACE----------

OonlyBonly 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes, once upon a time in a land long ago...... Then the taste of the fish became so bad even the cat wouldn't eat it!

newmedia 2 years, 3 months ago

Participated in a raft race on the Kaw years ago. What a hoot!

Julie Craig 2 years, 3 months ago

There used to be a canoe race from Manhattan to Lawrence twice a year back in the seventies and eighties. That was a blast, but I was afraid of tipping over and getting in the water once we got past Topeka!! :)

razz 2 years, 3 months ago

I floated the Kaw a few times in the late 80s during a full moon. We would put in on the Delaware river in Perry which joined up with the Kaw. It was amazing to float by the moonlight hearing all the sounds of nature around us. We stopped on the big island just upstream from the Turnpike bridge and took a break, had a beer only to be silently buzzed by a huge heron. Scared the heck out of us but what a peaceful ride it was.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 3 months ago

That must have been so nice. Like the song says, these are the moments we remember.

Richard Payton 2 years, 3 months ago

Floated twice from 8th St. boat ramp to Eudora ramp on Wakurusa. Fished near the Lawrence dam and caught sturgeon, drum, crappie, white bass, catfish and buffalo. Sometimes landed a carp. Never ate the fish but gave them away. I would tell the people that wanted the fish not to eat to many fish since this river is polluted.

pace 2 years, 3 months ago

Just heard some nut on another forum, saying it doesn't matter if they filled the river with poison, that the river means nothing nowadays. I thought him a real moron. Of course I drink out of it.. I would guess he drinks straight from the bottle. I have lived near the Kaw all my life. Took a ride along the old river road last week, couldn't of been prettier.

irvan moore 2 years, 3 months ago

there's an old man here in town that catches carp out of the river and smokes them, hard to believe but it is as tasty as anything you will ever eat. and yes, i know you get cooties eating stuff out of that river but it's to good not to eat

Joe Hyde 2 years, 3 months ago

The Kansas River is now host to three competitive paddlesport events:

"Kawnivore" is a 100-mile ultra-marathon race from Manhattan to Lawrence, June 1st-2nd (mandatory portage at Topeka Waterworks Dam, optional portage at Tecumseh powerplant weir)

"Kansas River Gritty Fifty" is a 50-miler from Lawrence to Kansas City, September 1st (mandatory portage at Johnson County Waterworks dam below Edwardsville).

"Kaw-lloween" is a 20-mile race from Manhattan to Wamego, October 6th

If interested in participating as contestant or volunteering as someone's crew assistant contact: www.rivermiles.com

Spangler 2 years, 3 months ago

Once canoed the great and mighty Wakarusa during and after a torrential rainstorm. I miss Jerry too,......Garcia, that is.

nikkikay 2 years, 3 months ago

I kayak on the KAW as often as possible!

Tanner Stumbaugh 2 years, 3 months ago

I love taking my kayak, putting in at the Perry Inlet, and boating all the way down river to the Lawrence Riverfront Park. Quite exhausting, but a great workout, and just under 17 miles. Next time I need to make sure and put in a little earlier, as last time I did the last 4 miles by moonlight. Still had a blast!

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

I ran my airboat up and down the river for years. Loved it. I made a Manhattan-to-Lawrence run in 1hr and 33 minutes. The 1,000 HP Koury Chevrolet engine with 571 cubic inches and a 1071 blower with counter-rotating props combined to drink 27 gallons of gas on that run. A run from Lawrence to Topeka and back at moderate speed (~50 mph) will drink 15 gallons. and that's why it sits in the shed for long stretches these days. I still set bank poles for flatheads on the river a few times a year with a friend.

pace 2 years, 3 months ago

My brother in law use to catch 30 pounder catfish from the Kaw. He would put them in our horse tank for a couple of days to clean their gut.