Previous   Next

What are you reading?

Asked at Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt. on May 13, 2012

Browse the archives

“‘Of This Earth’ by Rudy Wiebe. It’s interesting because I was raised Mennonite and I’ve read some other memoirs like this.”

“‘Dosed: The Medication Generation Grows Up’ by Kaitlin Bell Barnett. I’m educating myself.”

“I’m reading the ‘Last Olympian’ series with my book club.”

“‘Babymouse: Cupcake Tycoon.’”

“‘The Red Book’ by Deborah Copaken Kogan.”

Comments

thinkagain 2 years, 7 months ago

I think you should at least trade your wife in for a new book every other year.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

Koontz is one of my favorites, I think I have read everything he has written. I just put this book on hold for me at the library. God, I love the Internet.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 7 months ago

"The Columbus Affair" by Steve Berry. (I'm such a history nerd.)

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

R_I . . . You bring the golf balls, I'm good for a couple of cases of bowling pins. Let me know . . .

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann, it is a novel about Humboldt the scientist. I have read all of Dean Koonz and did not know he had a new book out. I will definitely read that next. I average about three books a week and have done so since childhood. I cannot imagine a life without books.

riverdrifter 2 years, 7 months ago

Hemingway's Guns: The Sporting Arms of Ernest Hemingway by Silvio Calabi, Steve Helsely and Roger Sanger.

From a .22 Colt Woodsman to a Westley Richards .577 Nitro Express double rifle, Ernesto had one of each and just about everything in between.

jaywalker 2 years, 7 months ago

Moby Dick. One of the few classics I've never read.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

The book was boring, but Moby was quite interesting. Herman made more money off of that whale alive than if he had killed him. Which is something we should all think about. Everyone headed to the whaling grounds after they read that book and of course they had to go by ship and who do you think owned all those ships? Yep, good old Herman. I am happy to be able to report that Moby lived to a ripe old age, and even though famous preserved his privacy.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 7 months ago

I DVR a fascinating program on Travel Channel called "Mysteries at the Museum". They had a segment about a sea captain's diary that recounted the experience on which Melville based "Moby Dick". A bull sperm whale rammed and sank a whaler and it's crew drifted in it's harpoon dinghys for over two months before being rescued. There were all kinds of bits about cannibalism and people going mad from thirst. Fascinating stuff. (Toldja I was a history nerd.)

jaywalker 2 years, 7 months ago

That's one of the reasons I want to read it!

grammaddy 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm halfway through the first book and don't want to put it down.

Stuart Evans 2 years, 7 months ago

Hawaii by James Michener. I've also been reading God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens, but there's a lot of big words, so I have to keep my dictionary handy.

MissinLawrence 2 years, 7 months ago

currently re-reading Farming the Dust Bowl by Lawrence Svobida. Not only does it include great history of Kansas and the midwest, but the struggles faced by farmers during the dust bowl.

booyalab 2 years, 7 months ago

The Forger's Spell: A True Story of Vermeer, Nazis, and the Greatest Art Hoax of the Twentieth Century by Edward Dolnick