Previous   Next

What are you reading?

Asked at Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt. on May 13, 2012

Browse the archives

“‘Of This Earth’ by Rudy Wiebe. It’s interesting because I was raised Mennonite and I’ve read some other memoirs like this.”

“‘Dosed: The Medication Generation Grows Up’ by Kaitlin Bell Barnett. I’m educating myself.”

“I’m reading the ‘Last Olympian’ series with my book club.”

“‘Babymouse: Cupcake Tycoon.’”

“‘The Red Book’ by Deborah Copaken Kogan.”

Comments

tange 1 year, 11 months ago

At the moment, that kinda fiery one by Suzanne Vega. I'm thinkin' it must be an audiobook.

booyalab 1 year, 11 months ago

The Forger's Spell: A True Story of Vermeer, Nazis, and the Greatest Art Hoax of the Twentieth Century by Edward Dolnick

MissinLawrence 1 year, 11 months ago

currently re-reading Farming the Dust Bowl by Lawrence Svobida. Not only does it include great history of Kansas and the midwest, but the struggles faced by farmers during the dust bowl.

mrchips 1 year, 11 months ago

101 Uses For a Stretched-Out Scrotum, by the late-great Maurice Sendak.

Stuart Evans 1 year, 11 months ago

Hawaii by James Michener. I've also been reading God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens, but there's a lot of big words, so I have to keep my dictionary handy.

Roland Gunslinger 1 year, 11 months ago

The End User Licensing Agreement for Windows 7. Fascinating stuff!

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

The book was boring, but Moby was quite interesting. Herman made more money off of that whale alive than if he had killed him. Which is something we should all think about. Everyone headed to the whaling grounds after they read that book and of course they had to go by ship and who do you think owned all those ships? Yep, good old Herman. I am happy to be able to report that Moby lived to a ripe old age, and even though famous preserved his privacy.

jaywalker 1 year, 11 months ago

Moby Dick. One of the few classics I've never read.

Andini 1 year, 11 months ago

Penthouse forum...to see if my letter got published.

riverdrifter 1 year, 11 months ago

Hemingway's Guns: The Sporting Arms of Ernest Hemingway by Silvio Calabi, Steve Helsely and Roger Sanger.

From a .22 Colt Woodsman to a Westley Richards .577 Nitro Express double rifle, Ernesto had one of each and just about everything in between.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann, it is a novel about Humboldt the scientist. I have read all of Dean Koonz and did not know he had a new book out. I will definitely read that next. I average about three books a week and have done so since childhood. I cannot imagine a life without books.

Liberty_One 1 year, 11 months ago

A Clash of Kings. Pretty good so far.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

R_I . . . You bring the golf balls, I'm good for a couple of cases of bowling pins. Let me know . . .

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 11 months ago

"The Columbus Affair" by Steve Berry. (I'm such a history nerd.)

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

R_I............. now there is a dude who knows how to live.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

CWGOKU,

I play a mean game of field/pasture golf.
When the spousal unit lets me use her semi-independent Commie-Bloc carry piece I can go under par. It is a fixed barrel blow back pistol, and it is dead-on-balls accurate. That 9x18 thumps those little golf balls pretty damn far.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

I am approaching a period where I will have a bit more time.
I have a list built up on the Kindle.

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

77 Shadow Street, by Dean Koontz, after I finish that book, Kill Shot by Vince Flynn. I read in bed. It helps me go to sleep. Do Babboys sleep? Sounds like he needs a new wife. Golf is a good walk ruined... Mark Twain

BABBOY 1 year, 11 months ago

Like the 4 billion times I answered this stupid question before when asked, I read a lot at work and do not have time to read for fun. I guess I do read some fitness and golf magazines but I do not have time to read a book.....

I mean who has time to read a full book?

I work somewhere between 60 to 80 hours a week depending if I am on the road or not. I have two kids, a wife that wants a different new car every other year and an aging near 47 year old body to keep in shape meaning I am lucky if I get to the gym more than twice a week and time to play golf, come on, I can’t even break 80 (which used to be somewhat common) let alone 85 (which used to be automatic) due to lack of playing

I guess I do not get the lifestyle that is so laid back they can read a book...... Just seems irresponsible to me...