Previous   Next

What’s your favorite theater piece?

Asked at Theatre Lawrence groundbreaking at Bauer Farms complex in west Lawrence on May 11, 2012

Browse the archives

“‘Phantom of the Opera,’ no question.”

“‘Cats.’”

“‘The Lion King’ on Broadway.”

“‘Annie.’”

Comments

Daniel Speicher 1 year, 11 months ago

Definitely has to be Rent... Love that show.

Liberty275 1 year, 11 months ago

Theater? Apocalypse Now or more recently Avatar.

Theatre? Any Mozart Opera or Tennessee Williams play.

Theater piece... LOL. I'm surrounded by philistines.

tange 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, Starlight is a lovely venue. The National was grand, and Arcade Fire stellar. Florence will be singing her heart out in October, and I'll be picking up the pieces.

SOS 1 year, 11 months ago

RIP Carroll Shelby. I never do burnouts any more, but this weekend I will pull the cover and do a burnout in your memory. Maybe two or three.

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

Ya know Pywacket, down in my neck of the woods that KU grad Billy Inge is considered the greatest author of all time.

riverdrifter 1 year, 11 months ago

What Py said. But I'll throw out Sweet Tranvestite from Rocky Horror.

Pywacket 1 year, 11 months ago

Musical theatre = meh... Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals = skin-crawling, bombastic torture.

I'll take some Wm Shakespeare, Wm Inge, Lillian Hellman, Tennessee Williams, Oscar Wilde, etc., hands down.

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

My favorite theater piece? You mean like the furniture? I guess it would be the seat I am sitting in at the theater.

anticommunist 1 year, 11 months ago

The Book of Mormon: The Musical

Andini 1 year, 11 months ago

They will never duplicate the charm of the current location or building. The first nail in the coffin was when they renamed it to Theater Lawrence from Lawrence Community Theater. I know they needed more space but couldn't they find somewhere else that would work...like the old Masoic Temple?

ms_canada 1 year, 11 months ago

Cats was wonderful as was Phantom. But the worst of all was Wicked. Dumbest thing ever. Dialogue was totally not understandable. Why speak if no one can understand what you say.

g_rock 1 year, 11 months ago

I am not a huge theater fan. But I used to go to NYC and to a Broadway show more for the experience. Being on Broadway is half the fun. I've seen average shows but with some great performers.

I saw Brooke Shields in Wonderful Town which was lesser known, but excellent. Who knew that she is a modern Lucille Ball. And she was playing "the ugly sister."

I saw Molly Ringwald and Tom Bosley in Cabaret. It was in the old Studio 54 club and we got a cabaret table up close. There was cocktail service. It was one of the best venues ever for that show.

I saw Burnadette Peters in a revival of Gypsy. That is the perfect role for her. Still has an amazing voice. I recall my ex was cranky at that show though.

I also saw the one season wonder of Footloose, the musical. Floptastic.

I totally miss planning trips into NYC while visiting the Ex-inlaws place out in Sussex County NJ. That was one good element of that Ex....access to NYC.

BABBOY 1 year, 11 months ago

I saw Phantom of the Opera in New York so it was cool experience. But, I do not really like theater productions. I would rather watch Star Wars......

Roland Gunslinger 1 year, 11 months ago

I'll say it again- Puppetry of the Penis. It's a real thing. Don't flag this post. Penis is not a bad word and Puppetry of the Penis is a real theater piece.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 11 months ago

"he_who_knows_all (anonymous) says… Now why does the LJWorld put First Management as the occupation down when they usually put down the type of work like they have on the other two?"

Interesting. I didn't even notice.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

Midsummer's Night Dream. I've seen it performed several times, and always love it.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

Wagner's Ring Cycle as performed by lemurs.

he_who_knows_all 1 year, 11 months ago

Now why does the LJWorld put First Management as the occupation down when they usually put down the type of work like they have on the other two? I know Ms. Blanchard perfectly and they could have put the Engineering firm from where she is employed too?

LadyJ 1 year, 11 months ago

Elementary school programs, too cute.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 11 months ago

"RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Ronaldo Ignacio) says… I am boycotting this question."

You didn't get the part because you are not a woman. You didn't get the part because this town is run by homosexual Jews. All you had to do was a happy ending and you would have gotten the part. Hasn't John Travolta taught you anything?

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

"As Long As We Both Shall Live", "The Kansas Nutcracker", "Tommy"

There are others of course.

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

Gee Ronaldo, I thought you might have said Eva Peron.

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

dots. or maybe black crows.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

Baby Philadelphia Derringer. Found it on the floor of the balcony box at Ford Theater.

Loki 1 year, 11 months ago

It's hard to pick just one, I love so many. Guys and Dolls was a recent one I seen that I never had before and totally enjoyed!

Agnostick 1 year, 11 months ago

The underside of the seat, where all that great chewing gum is at. Tastes just like candy!

Roland Gunslinger 1 year, 11 months ago