Previous   Next

What’s the strangest animal behavior you’ve witnessed?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 10, 2012

Browse the archives

“I had to chase a cat from my yard that was attacking a fledgling. A flock of birds came down after me — just like the movie ‘The Birds.’ I love birds, but it was still a little scary. The birds continued to go after the cat because they have good memories.”

“A co-worker once had four birds hit her windshield during one trip. She thought she was cursed. ”

“We had an ostrich jump on our car and break a headlight in a nature preserve when I was a kid.”

“I was running in the country and I saw a bobcat. He ran basically beside me for awhile. It’s the only time I’ve seen one.”

Comments

bobberboy 1 year, 11 months ago

I saw two dogs once with the weiner of one caught inside the other. They were both facing opposite directions. Ouch !!

billbodiggens 1 year, 11 months ago

Without reading all of the above to see if I am merely repeating someone's comment - the strangest animal behavior I have ever witnessed is the current Kansas House of Representatives.

thuja 1 year, 11 months ago

Slug sex is weirder than whale sex.

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

There was this time I had an encounter with a hairy beaver... But that's another story

tange 1 year, 11 months ago

All animal behavior is strange, magnetic, defying inertia and gravity, alternately reflexive and reflective.

/ not infrequently weird

blue73harley 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm disappointed. Not one good lemur story...

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

What do you anglaise know of eggs? The only cooks worse than the english are the slavs....boiled this and boiled that...eck.

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

I stand corrected, I suppose. The french still screw up a good egg

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

The chickens lay eggs by their own free choice and volition.
Not commie.

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

Quiche is commie French food

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

I like a good fresh mizithra. Sometimes I use it in a quiche.

Andini 1 year, 11 months ago

K-State: Where men are men...and sheep are nervous.

prospector 1 year, 11 months ago

Whale sex and the octopus that liked to hold appendages with you.

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

When she barked like a dog...

somedude20 1 year, 11 months ago

Monkeys playing with themselves and turtles making love, oh, and anything Sharon Stone did in Basic Instinct 2.

Brownback is up there with strange behavior

g_rock 1 year, 11 months ago

My neighbor has a new bird feeder on her patio this year and the local squirrels are all over it like white on rice. There is one that is very territorial and when I walk nearby and don't know that he is there, the pops up on the top of the fence and gets all burly. One day that thing is going to fly at my head, I just know it. But he also once climbed up the tree by my door and tried to pee on me. Now I often have wet spots on my front sidewalk that I suspect are from him....cause it ain't raining.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 11 months ago

"BABBOY (anonymous) says… Sorry, I got distracted by that one idiot and forgot the question....."

Hell, I rarely pay attention to the question. I'm just here a couple times a day for the entertainment.

canyon_wren 1 year, 11 months ago

I saw a dog mating with a cat many years ago. Is that unusual? It surely seemed so, to me. The cat didn't seem to be objecting in the least.

BABBOY 1 year, 11 months ago

Sorry, I got distracted by that one idiot and forgot the question.....

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 11 months ago

"defenitely more intellictual." The World's Last Jerry Falwell Disciple

Classic. I put this away and keep in a safe place.

Andini 1 year, 11 months ago

Cougars prowling nightly on Mass.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

I saw a guy in a Toyota pickup try to drive through a herd of buffalo in Yellowstone. One big bull charged the pickup, ripping a hole in the passenger side door with its horn. Tore through it like it was aluminum foil, almost tipped the truck over.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor.....

pace 1 year, 11 months ago

We had a piece of land on the river, good batch of wild turkeys, While the land was posted, after the first year of new neighbors down the road, who got their turkey and one calf. When hunting time came, we would catch the turkeys and move them to our barnyard at another property, let them loose after the season, Lots of funny stories there. My mom were high heels all the time, and she beat everyone catching them, snatched their little feet, hold them upside down, and could grab two or three at a time. Well spent youth in the Oklahoma hill country. The third year the birds came when my mom called. Of course that wasn't that strange,

My_Life 1 year, 11 months ago

WOW, killing defenseless animals with shoulder cannons seems to be a manly thing to do. What a sense of accomplishment and pride one must feel from blasting a cannon into the face of a poor little critter. Too bad they can't shoot back.

You The Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hands down!!!!! Turkey wings up!!!!!! No questions asked!!!!!!! KaPow!!!!!!!!!! You dead you little turkey!!!!!!! Guess he wasn't as rough and tough and wise as the goober with the cannon. Truth be known, the gobbler was defenitely more intellictual.

riverdrifter 1 year, 11 months ago

I shot a bull gobbler turkey a few days ago. He was rough, tough and wise. I called to him from full dark before dawn for over two hours. He was wary and smart -even intellectual in talking to him. I finally got him. As he lay flapping in his death throes, several young jake turkeys came over and jumped all over him. Pecking, dancing, jumping on that carcass. I had a second tag and bagged one of those teabaggers in thirty seconds. I mourn this patriarch and will smoke him whole and not waste an ounce. I'll remember him forever. The teabagger got breasted out and the coyotes will have polished off the rest by now.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

Shot a skunk once that was staggering across the pasture in daylight hours. Walk a bit then fall down, then do it again. and again. Vet told me I did the right thing.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

And an old tomcat backed up to my wife's aunt's Cadillac and squirted the hubcap. He didn't like her. She didn't care much for him either. Sounded like a water hose filling a wash bucket.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

I seen three steers in a threesome once.

My_Life 1 year, 11 months ago

Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, cross-eyed mosquitoes and bull-legged ants, pull up a chair and sit on the floor and I'll tell you a story you've never heard before. One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight. Faced each other back to back, drew their swords and shot each other. A deaf policeman nearby heard the noise and came and..............................

know the rest anyone?

hitme 1 year, 11 months ago

A white wolf wearing blu-blockers

My_Life 1 year, 11 months ago

Definitely posters on this here OTS comment section.