Previous   Next

What’s the strangest animal behavior you’ve witnessed?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 10, 2012

Browse the archives

“I had to chase a cat from my yard that was attacking a fledgling. A flock of birds came down after me — just like the movie ‘The Birds.’ I love birds, but it was still a little scary. The birds continued to go after the cat because they have good memories.”

“A co-worker once had four birds hit her windshield during one trip. She thought she was cursed. ”

“We had an ostrich jump on our car and break a headlight in a nature preserve when I was a kid.”

“I was running in the country and I saw a bobcat. He ran basically beside me for awhile. It’s the only time I’ve seen one.”

Comments

My_Life 2 years, 3 months ago

Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, cross-eyed mosquitoes and bull-legged ants, pull up a chair and sit on the floor and I'll tell you a story you've never heard before. One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight. Faced each other back to back, drew their swords and shot each other. A deaf policeman nearby heard the noise and came and..............................

know the rest anyone?

kristyj 2 years, 3 months ago

And came to arrest the two dead boys. If you don't believe this story is true, Just ask the blind man, he saw it too!

I haven't thought of that poem in quite some time.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

I seen three steers in a threesome once.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

And an old tomcat backed up to my wife's aunt's Cadillac and squirted the hubcap. He didn't like her. She didn't care much for him either. Sounded like a water hose filling a wash bucket.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Shot a skunk once that was staggering across the pasture in daylight hours. Walk a bit then fall down, then do it again. and again. Vet told me I did the right thing.

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

I shot a bull gobbler turkey a few days ago. He was rough, tough and wise. I called to him from full dark before dawn for over two hours. He was wary and smart -even intellectual in talking to him. I finally got him. As he lay flapping in his death throes, several young jake turkeys came over and jumped all over him. Pecking, dancing, jumping on that carcass. I had a second tag and bagged one of those teabaggers in thirty seconds. I mourn this patriarch and will smoke him whole and not waste an ounce. I'll remember him forever. The teabagger got breasted out and the coyotes will have polished off the rest by now.

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

I"ll regale you with more hunting tales next fall. Thanks for your interest!

pace 2 years, 3 months ago

We had a piece of land on the river, good batch of wild turkeys, While the land was posted, after the first year of new neighbors down the road, who got their turkey and one calf. When hunting time came, we would catch the turkeys and move them to our barnyard at another property, let them loose after the season, Lots of funny stories there. My mom were high heels all the time, and she beat everyone catching them, snatched their little feet, hold them upside down, and could grab two or three at a time. Well spent youth in the Oklahoma hill country. The third year the birds came when my mom called. Of course that wasn't that strange,

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor.....

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

I saw a guy in a Toyota pickup try to drive through a herd of buffalo in Yellowstone. One big bull charged the pickup, ripping a hole in the passenger side door with its horn. Tore through it like it was aluminum foil, almost tipped the truck over.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

Do not taunt the happy fun buffalo.

canyon_wren 2 years, 3 months ago

I saw a dog mating with a cat many years ago. Is that unusual? It surely seemed so, to me. The cat didn't seem to be objecting in the least.

somedude20 2 years, 3 months ago

Monkeys playing with themselves and turtles making love, oh, and anything Sharon Stone did in Basic Instinct 2.

Brownback is up there with strange behavior

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, not one that can be told in polite company, anyhow.

billbodiggens 2 years, 3 months ago

Without reading all of the above to see if I am merely repeating someone's comment - the strangest animal behavior I have ever witnessed is the current Kansas House of Representatives.