Previous   Next

What do you think makes Lawrence interesting?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 9, 2012

Browse the archives

“All the different kinds of people drawn here.”

“The Civil War history.”

“It feels like many towns put together — there’s different districts with different cultures. ”

“The mix of college kids and wider community.”

Comments

the_realest_mccoy 2 years, 7 months ago

The answer would be, "Me!" It's funny though, because it's 12:40 am on Wednesday, May 09, 2012, and I"m commenting on this and there is no sunshine on Mass.

jackpot 2 years, 7 months ago

What make Lawrence Interesting? I'm like you sunshine on Mass at 12:55 am.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

I gotta admit, you really have me stumped on this one . . .

Flap Doodle 2 years, 7 months ago

Amateur MMA at the Burrito King, Foot in a Bucket guy, that's my top 2.

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

Wondering what silly, outrageous thing the city will do next.

Irenaku 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree snap_: Foot in a bucket guy, and, I would add peace sign guy and caveman Joe. Oh, and Simon. Cannot forget Simon, who, when my son and I made homemade bread to give to the homeless and took a loaf to him, asked me: "Who are you affiliated with?" :)

John Hamm 2 years, 7 months ago

The idiotic decisions made at City Hall constantly interest me.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Oh, and the smell of rancid cooking grease . . . When you walk from the parking lots . . Through the alleys . . . In search of . . . . The source.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

The glitter of broken glass . . . At every intersection . . . On campus.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

"Lousy, rotten spammers posting lousy, rotten spam."

(from a source)

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

From last night "At 2:15 a.m., Officers received a report of a man in the 1000 block of Massachusetts Street who was walking and exposing himself. It did not sound like officers were able to locate that man."

asixbury 2 years, 7 months ago

If Lawrence were to become like Salina, we would need a lot more murders, burglaries, and crack heads. Not that Lawrence doesn't have its fair share, but Salina definitely has it beat. I know this because, unfortunately, I have lived in Salina much longer than I would like to admit. Not by my own choice. I got the heck out of there as soon as I was able.

labmonkey 2 years, 7 months ago

You would need a couple of smelly meat packing plants to equal Emporia.

JayCat_67 2 years, 7 months ago

And a strange weather anomoly that makes everywhere in town downwind of them.

labmonkey 2 years, 7 months ago

It isn't the weather... it is the fact you have Tyson Beef, Hormel, and two dog food plants in the town. They pretty much cover about any wind direction there is. The only time you get a good smell is if there happens to be a wind out of the west-north-west and you get the smell of the Dolly Madison factory.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 7 months ago

The "On the Street" questions make Lawrence what it is.

labmonkey 2 years, 7 months ago

And adding meat packing plants may actually get Lawrence residents to like Kobach and anti-illegal-immigration laws.

somedude20 2 years, 7 months ago

The Replay bathroom. That beautiful redheaded Cassy that use to own that Casbah market. Dempseys. The eclectic mix of liberals, hippies, bums, artists, and women in Lawrence. Liberty Hall is kind of neat

Jeanniescoupons11 2 years, 7 months ago

You can just be Yourself. Always having new people come to town, but all so haging out with your longtime friends. I've lived in a big city, and a small town. It feels like a big city, and a small town all in one to me. I've traveled alot, but when I'm in Lawrence I feel so comfortable, and it's the people here that make me feel that way. I have a food allergy, and the Reasurants go out of the way here to make sure I don't get sick.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 7 months ago

Go to Dallas, Texas. Better yet, don't. My Dallas experience was that the entire city is begging for money, but rather than just ask for money while occupying sidewalk space, since the massive number of them creates circumstances where no sidewalk space remains, they'd rather corner you on the transit (the "DART" if you will) and massively intrude upon your personal bubble until you give them money to go away.

grammaddy 2 years, 7 months ago

Our diversity.And being a little"blue" island giving that big "red" sea a hard time.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Oh grammaddy, stop that now! It tickles! ;-)

booyalab 2 years, 7 months ago

I like the diversity, best enjoyed from my monotonous clique.

goodcountrypeople 2 years, 7 months ago

Once the street harassment with all the gazillions of random f-tards who think they God's gifts stop terrorizing those who are just sanely minding their own business on the public sidewalks maybe decent people could have the peace of mind to lead the lives they were born for. As it is now, the the bunch of KU crooks and dishonest law enforcement officials who are calling the shots in Lawrence make life real interesting in these here southern-justice backwoods.

asixbury 2 years, 7 months ago

You obviously haven't lived elsewhere in Kansas. Lawrence has a lot going for it comparatively. I know because I have lived all over the state, even in the farthest western edge (Goodland).

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

One aspect of Lawrence, I find interesting is the variety of visitors and speakers that come here. While interesting people live here, talented artists, writers, musicians, good neighbors, the breadth of people the University or various organizations draw here is great.