Previous   Next

Do you celebrate any holidays or take part in cultural practices outside your own culture?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 6, 2012

Browse the archives

“I celebrate Easter and Thanksgiving even though I’m South American because of people I know here who do.”

“I served at Let’s Help for Thanksgiving as a kid so I’d be thankful.”

“St. Patrick’s Day, even though I’m not Irish.”

“Canada Day. And my daughter is getting married to a man from India. There will be traditional dress at the wedding.”

Comments

Mike Ford 2 years, 12 months ago

the fourth of july......I grew up in Jonesville, Louisiana, about 45 miles west of Natchez, Mississippi, between 1975 and 1976. The siege of Vicksburg which took place on July 4, 1863, was considered a yankee holiday and wasn't celebrated by the confederate descendants in that area since Vicksburg and the Red River US Civil War battle theatre wasn't that far away. As a Choctaw descendant I'm ambivalent about American holidays anyway.

rockchalker52 2 years, 12 months ago

Just a coupla days ago, I celebrated Star Wars Day. May the Fourth be with you.

pace 2 years, 12 months ago

I have on occasion been in the company of people who "watch" a game. I partook of some of the traditional foods at these events, I respected their taboos, didn't stand in front of the tv and did not converse during certain exultations during the "game". While I have different beliefs than they about "sport" I respected their service and did not use the occasion to present my differing views. The nachos of this culture are unexpectedly good.

RoeDapple 2 years, 12 months ago

April 29, 2012 was Global Tinfoil Hat Day.

You can still Like on FaceBook, even if you missed it.

(Tell 'em RoeDy's House of Pain and Ammo Supply sent ya . . .)

Liberty275 2 years, 12 months ago

If my wife's superstitions or misconceptions tell her a day is important, I'll go along so she can enjoy dinner, a free bracelet, too much chocolate or whatever treat is associated with that day.

Outside of July 4 and Nov 11. they are all just days to me.

Bill Lee 2 years, 12 months ago

I'm not a Christian, but I enjoy Christmas carols.

verity 2 years, 12 months ago

Both members of the British Empire when the sun never set on it? Don't know what holiday that would be.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 12 months ago

LJW needs to temporarily shut down the reader blogs until we can celebrate No Spam Day. woof

tomatogrower 2 years, 12 months ago

Cinco de Mayo, St. Patrick's Day, Oktoberfest, Haskell Powwows, Scottish games. I consider the Ren Fest to be a celebration of my ancestors heritage. I also consider Jazz and Blues festivals to be a uniquely US form of music, so I consider them my heritage too; although the racist on this forum would be aghast to think a white woman wouldn't consider it some "other culture".

Flap Doodle 2 years, 12 months ago

The question is, will the person behind the spam-a-rama be stupid enough to brag about it online?

ms_canada 2 years, 12 months ago

We celebrate Canada Day on July 1. It is like your 4th of July. We used to call it Dominion Day, the day the provinces joined to form the Dominion of Canada. Boxing day originated in Britain. It was the day, and still is, I guess, when the wealthy gave boxed gifts to their servants.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 12 months ago

g, winching or wenching? One is much more fun than the other.

verity 2 years, 12 months ago

I'll use anything as an excuse to celebrate. Since my traditional traditions did not include the consumption of spirits, I tend to adopt other traditions that do.

I also celebrate my unbirthday 364 days a year except during leap year, when I celebrate it for 365 days.

ms_canada 2 years, 12 months ago

I have a Muslim friend and I have gone to mosque with her a couple of times. Once for Ramadan for supper, at 9:30pm. and another time for a special celebration for the martyrdom of Ali Hussein in 896AD I found it very interesting, but am not in danger of giving up my love for Jesus.

RoeDapple 2 years, 12 months ago

Euell Gibbons woulda eat that stick and askeded for more.

Bill Lee 2 years, 12 months ago

I've been rereading Euell's Stalking the Wild Asparagas. Good book.