Previous   Next

Do you celebrate any holidays or take part in cultural practices outside your own culture?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 6, 2012

Browse the archives

“I celebrate Easter and Thanksgiving even though I’m South American because of people I know here who do.”

“I served at Let’s Help for Thanksgiving as a kid so I’d be thankful.”

“St. Patrick’s Day, even though I’m not Irish.”

“Canada Day. And my daughter is getting married to a man from India. There will be traditional dress at the wedding.”

Comments

tange 1 year, 11 months ago

Only French holidays memorialized in Pixies lyrics and grounded in reality film footage...

Bill Lee 1 year, 11 months ago

I've been rereading Euell's Stalking the Wild Asparagas. Good book.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

Euell Gibbons woulda eat that stick and askeded for more.

mrchips 1 year, 11 months ago

I am currently celebrating "Smoke a Fat Brisket and Drink Natty Light Day". Gonna cook some Collard greens, taters and a German chocolate cake to finish the celebration!

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

We celebrated national catch a bunch of big catfish day today...The kid outfished my butt..she landed seven fish over four pounds each..I caught a turtle and a stick.

ms_canada 1 year, 11 months ago

I have a Muslim friend and I have gone to mosque with her a couple of times. Once for Ramadan for supper, at 9:30pm. and another time for a special celebration for the martyrdom of Ali Hussein in 896AD I found it very interesting, but am not in danger of giving up my love for Jesus.

verity 1 year, 11 months ago

I'll use anything as an excuse to celebrate. Since my traditional traditions did not include the consumption of spirits, I tend to adopt other traditions that do.

I also celebrate my unbirthday 364 days a year except during leap year, when I celebrate it for 365 days.

prospector 1 year, 11 months ago

Still looking for someone with the same B-day as the Free State Brewery. They take the percent of your age off the bill. Where are the centenarians when you need them.

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

No, but I might join Roe in this beverage day thing. It would be out of character for me to have a bourbon with a beer chaser today. Not . I refuse to celebrate Sean Penn's birthday

SOS 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm Jewish and I don't celebrate any of the holidays or take part in any of the cultural practices other than collecting the green. The hats are dorky.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

g, winching or wenching? One is much more fun than the other.

g_rock 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh of course I do. That is why GoD made spirits from other cultures for me to enjoy.

I am one quarter Volga German, not to be confused with Germans from Germany or Russians. Our culture "goes winching" every January first. It is one of those things where outsiders really never know about or care about since you all are at home hung over from New Years Eve. And that is why outsiders don't know about it and why it will never catch on.

The real secret is that we figured out how to extend the party 1 more day.

Rara_Avis 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, Knology strikes again, this time with the crappy new email format. As of last night I can't read any emails I get. I called customer disservice and the guy had no clue. Great. Or Wow!

Rara_Avis 1 year, 11 months ago

I've never heard of Canada Day. I know they have Boxing Day. That's the day after Christmas, when Canadians box up their gifts and return them for cash. Bunch of tightwads.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

I had my special blend of Sumatran and Ethiopian this morning.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

The question is, will the person behind the spam-a-rama be stupid enough to brag about it online?

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

Cinco de Mayo, St. Patrick's Day, Oktoberfest, Haskell Powwows, Scottish games. I consider the Ren Fest to be a celebration of my ancestors heritage. I also consider Jazz and Blues festivals to be a uniquely US form of music, so I consider them my heritage too; although the racist on this forum would be aghast to think a white woman wouldn't consider it some "other culture".

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

LJW needs to temporarily shut down the reader blogs until we can celebrate No Spam Day. woof

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 11 months ago

I am going to Google what Canada and India have to do with each in regards to some holiday.

Bill Lee 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm not a Christian, but I enjoy Christmas carols.

Liberty275 1 year, 11 months ago

If my wife's superstitions or misconceptions tell her a day is important, I'll go along so she can enjoy dinner, a free bracelet, too much chocolate or whatever treat is associated with that day.

Outside of July 4 and Nov 11. they are all just days to me.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

April 29, 2012 was Global Tinfoil Hat Day.

You can still Like on FaceBook, even if you missed it.

(Tell 'em RoeDy's House of Pain and Ammo Supply sent ya . . .)

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

Saturnalia, National Potato Week, Cinco de Mayo, Bastille Day, Custer Day, Grilled Cheese day, Drunken Irishman Day, Fridays, Panama Canal Day..and many others. I just want to celebrate..another day of livin.

pace 1 year, 11 months ago

I have on occasion been in the company of people who "watch" a game. I partook of some of the traditional foods at these events, I respected their taboos, didn't stand in front of the tv and did not converse during certain exultations during the "game". While I have different beliefs than they about "sport" I respected their service and did not use the occasion to present my differing views. The nachos of this culture are unexpectedly good.

thuja 1 year, 11 months ago

Since America is a melting pot of cultures, I have a hard time seeing what "my culture" actually is.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

Just a coupla days ago, I celebrated Star Wars Day. May the Fourth be with you.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

May 6th is Beverage Day. Start early.

Mike Ford 1 year, 11 months ago

the fourth of july......I grew up in Jonesville, Louisiana, about 45 miles west of Natchez, Mississippi, between 1975 and 1976. The siege of Vicksburg which took place on July 4, 1863, was considered a yankee holiday and wasn't celebrated by the confederate descendants in that area since Vicksburg and the Red River US Civil War battle theatre wasn't that far away. As a Choctaw descendant I'm ambivalent about American holidays anyway.

Rara_Avis 1 year, 11 months ago

Only the ones that include smoking weed.