Previous   Next

Do you support Kansas’ indoor smoking ban?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 4, 2012

Browse the archives

“I support it. I think it’s good for businesses, too, because some people won’t go out if there’s smoking around.”

“(Smoking) should be allowed in certain areas.”

“I think there should be designated smoking areas.”

“I prefer no-smoking inside places.”

Related story

Comments

Toni Shelton 2 years, 9 months ago

As a smoker, yeah I wish I could smoke inside. As a mother, and the girlfriend of someone who can't be around smoke I understand the need for the ban.

littlexav 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, it's funny until you realize that you're subsidizing those oxygen tanks with your own insurance premiums. If you're that serious, you shouldn't just be laughing at them. You should be doing everything you can to keep kids from starting in the first place.

Linda Endicott 2 years, 8 months ago

Really.

And there has never been a non-smoker who got older and had to use oxygen, huh?

Someday you'll be a wrinkled old geezer...and maybe you'll remember this day and what you said...

You have no humanity...

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

"Do you smoke after sex?"

"I don't know, I never looked . . ."

elliottaw 2 years, 9 months ago

I will not take my children or myself to any place that allows smoking, it is digusting and nothing but posion, there are studies out the wazo about how harmful smoking is to those who do it and those who are exposed to second hand smoke, if you want tosit in your house and kill yourself than by all means go ahead and do it, I wont stop you. But just because you can't get over your own adddiction doesn't mean that I should be forced to expose my children, or the workers at these places to your posions, and the chemicals from the smoke are still dangerous days/weeks later. Then there is the whole subject of cigette butts all over the place because they feel it is ok for themselves to just toss them on the ground or out of their car windows when they drive. They are also driving up the cost of health care because smokers are proven to be more sickly than the average joe.

mcmandy 2 years, 9 months ago

You have the right to choose to not take your children to places that allow smoking. People also have the right to choose not to work in places that allow smoking. Business owners should have the right to decide if smoking is allowed in their establishment. Incidentally, with 25% of Americans smoking and 35.7% overweight, I am a bit more concerned about the the later. (CDC)

MarcoPogo 2 years, 9 months ago

There is so much farting in restaurants as it is. I don't see how yours are going to be anything special. You can't outdo the India Palace crowd, buddy.

JackMcKee 2 years, 9 months ago

Yea but what's your stance on dumpster diving dates?

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

Tarantulas are squishy when you step on them.

ms_canada 2 years, 9 months ago

We in Alberta, Canada have had an indoor smoking ban for many years and seem to cope with that just fine. The pubs and restaurants did not go out of business as was feared. We are humans and are very adaptable beings. But adapting to lung cancer is not much fun.

Jon Jambor 2 years, 9 months ago

Would someone PLEASE explain to me why the State forbids smoking in private establishments, but exempts its own casinos?

rockchalker52 2 years, 9 months ago

Smoking on the open-air decks & patios only, folks. It ain't that hard. Is there no common sense & civility left anywhere in the world? Smoking inside is gross. McFadden can suck it, tho. His arguments do. And why is he dissin' the little girls?

littlexav 2 years, 9 months ago

Right, until everywhere allows smoking, in which case your "freedom" of "choice" leaves you stuck in your house. I don't think so. States have the power to pass laws in the interest of the health and wellbeing of their citizens, and this is one of those things. It's the epitome of "constitutional," dare i say moreso than capitalism.

Linda Endicott 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh, please...even before the ban, there were plenty of places that didn't allow smoking...you didn't have to stay home 24/7...

And even if they decided to allow smoking in bars again, all of them won't become smoking establishments...stop exaggerating...

jonas_opines 2 years, 9 months ago

"What should be the internal temperature of a done smoked placenta?"

Depends on if there's a baby still inside it or not. Veal is a delicate dish.

Sunny Parker 2 years, 9 months ago

Of course, I like the govt telling me what is good for me and what I can do with my own business. Even though cig's are legal, it's ok for them to be banned. geez

littlexav 2 years, 9 months ago

Just try to light up a cigarette in there. I dare you.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

That rug really tied the room together.

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

Dude, you're being very undude right now!

JackMcKee 2 years, 9 months ago

Condolences Mr. Original Bob. The war is over. The bums lost!

sherbert 2 years, 9 months ago

As a non-smoker i love not having smoke in a restaurant. As a believer in free enterprise and small government, I agree it should be a business owners right to decide what legal activities he/she allows in his establishment.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely,,,, I support no smoking indoors in public places. That is also supported by some rental property owners.

My best guess is the medical insurance industry supports this position also.