Previous   Next

Do you support Kansas’ indoor smoking ban?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 4, 2012

Browse the archives

“I support it. I think it’s good for businesses, too, because some people won’t go out if there’s smoking around.”

“(Smoking) should be allowed in certain areas.”

“I think there should be designated smoking areas.”

“I prefer no-smoking inside places.”

Related story

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

Absolutely,,,, I support no smoking indoors in public places. That is also supported by some rental property owners.

My best guess is the medical insurance industry supports this position also.

sherbert 1 year, 11 months ago

As a non-smoker i love not having smoke in a restaurant. As a believer in free enterprise and small government, I agree it should be a business owners right to decide what legal activities he/she allows in his establishment.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 11 months ago

"Condolences Mr. Original Bob. The war is over. The bums lost!"

/Walks out of jack McKee's immaculate office. With my cheap plastic sunglasses on.

g_rock 1 year, 11 months ago

Best quote ever from a former coworker:

her son at work: can I take a smoke break? boss: no, you don't smoke. her son at work: well then, can I go outside and fume? boss: no her son at work: that is discrimination.

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

Uh...one time I was at my oldest daughter' house off in the wild western mountains...and was making a scotch (very complicated process) and she had made ice cubes with her placenta. That could have been bad. I don't know what the hell those people are thinking. Wild animals eat their placenta for a good reason....so the predators don't smell them and come eat the baby. I don't think most humans have that as a daily problem.

Lateralis 1 year, 11 months ago

Give us da money Lebowski. Ya just give us da money.

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

Condolences Mr. Original Bob. The war is over. The bums lost!

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

That rug really tied the room together.

weiser 1 year, 11 months ago

You can smoke at the Huka House whenever you want....for some reason..

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 11 months ago

"urinating is also legal."

Did someone micturate on your rug?

sunny 1 year, 11 months ago

Of course, I like the govt telling me what is good for me and what I can do with my own business. Even though cig's are legal, it's ok for them to be banned. geez

g_rock 1 year, 11 months ago

I would like some good smoked ribs right now.

Rara_Avis 1 year, 11 months ago

I used to enjoy coming home smelling like an ashtray after going to bars. In fact, I recently went to Johnny's for the first time in years and I was freaked out by the lack of cigarette smoke. So I lit one up and found some KU football players to hang out with. It didn't end well.

jonas_opines 1 year, 11 months ago

"What should be the internal temperature of a done smoked placenta?"

Depends on if there's a baby still inside it or not. Veal is a delicate dish.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

"What should be the internal temperature of a done smoked placenta?" - T_O_B

The same as for any good quality sausage. 152° F Otherwise it is just considered a raw product.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 11 months ago

"Would someone PLEASE explain to me why the State forbids smoking in private establishments, but exempts its own casinos?"

$$$

"I wonder how placenta would taste if you put it on the smoker for a while?"

What should be the internal temperature of a done smoked placenta?

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

I wonder how placenta would taste if you put it on the smoker for a while?

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

Smoking on the open-air decks & patios only, folks. It ain't that hard. Is there no common sense & civility left anywhere in the world? Smoking inside is gross. McFadden can suck it, tho. His arguments do. And why is he dissin' the little girls?

Jon Jambor 1 year, 11 months ago

g_rock 1 year, 11 months ago

Bad question writing....doesn't really address the question at hand of allowing smoking at some bars again. You usually aren't at a bar for your health in the first place.

ms_canada 1 year, 11 months ago

We in Alberta, Canada have had an indoor smoking ban for many years and seem to cope with that just fine. The pubs and restaurants did not go out of business as was feared. We are humans and are very adaptable beings. But adapting to lung cancer is not much fun.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 11 months ago

I knew a woman who ate her placenta. She didn't wuss out and put it in capsules.

milkman_dan 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm all about progress and evolution. Breast feeding and placenta consumption are fine by me but, let's leave smoking in the last millennium.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

Tarantulas are squishy when you step on them.

Andini 1 year, 11 months ago

I like smokin' hot women....especially Christina Hendricks.

MichaelJMcFadden 1 year, 11 months ago

I wonder if these people would still support the ban if they'd been asked about just relaxing it in bars? Or if they had any idea how much the ban is costing the taxpayers in terms of lost tax revenues, unemployment, and the like? .

But I understand that some "official" folks want the ban to stay in place, so I have a suggestion for the politicians and advocacy groups wanting the imposed ban to remain in place: Simply sign legal documentation guaranteeing from your own personal and organizational pocketbooks that you will cover any of the business losses that you swore wouldn't happen because of the ban. Go ahead, ACS, AHA, SFK, and the policritters pushing the ban: you can keep it safe and prove to the world that you tell the truth simply by putting your own money on the line instead of that of the small business owners, workers, and taxpayers.

If you're telling the truth you have nothing to lose. If you've been lying ... well ... then you'll run like a little girl from a pack of tarantulas.

My money is on the tarantulas.

Michael J. McFadden Author of "Dissecting Antismokers' Brains"

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

I like to sit on the porch and watch the lightning.

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

"Do you smoke after sex?"

"I don't know, I never looked . . ."

My_Life 1 year, 11 months ago

Smoking is a vile repulsive habit. It's a chickens way to slow suicide. There should be a strictly enforced fine of $500 per cigbutt that is discarded on the ground or in the waterways. Smokers are poisioning everyone around them and they are not even decent enough to refrain. I have absolutely no sympathy for tobacco induced COPD. When I see the wrinkled old geezers draging their oxygen tanks around the boats I laugh out loud.

Toni Shelton 1 year, 11 months ago

As a smoker, yeah I wish I could smoke inside. As a mother, and the girlfriend of someone who can't be around smoke I understand the need for the ban.