Previous   Next

What would you like to see at a new recreation center?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 2, 2012

Browse the archives

“Rec leagues, like basketball or soccer. Group classes.”

“A pool and sauna or hot tub. Plus a healthy snack bar.”

“A dog park.”

“A pool.”

Comments

none2 1 year, 11 months ago

....something scandalous such as baby chicks huddled together with less than several feet of space between them. It reminds me of "I, Robot": "It can only lead to revolution!"

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

"A couple of years ago there wasn't enough money in the budget to keep full hours at the existing centers. What changed?" - Gandalf

The Oread Hotel... Because of TIF, there was increase in the value of surrounding real estate, which generated additional tax revenue. Sales-tax revenue also increased and jobs were added.

CWGOKU 1 year, 11 months ago

Line dancing and lawn darts!

g_rock 1 year, 11 months ago

I love rugged hockey players. I'm all for the ice rink!

labmonkey 1 year, 11 months ago

Several cute to hot redheads working out in sports bras and tight shorts.

prospector 1 year, 11 months ago

Astroturf, lights, drainage problems, and an arkytech blathering about it.

Andini 1 year, 11 months ago

An equestrian center....except the city nixed that idea before.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

I do like the idea of a boom boom room.

Have you been to the shooting range in the basement of the community building? Despicable.
Shame on you Lawrence for relegating shooters to substandard facilities.

Snap, Buzkashi? Hell in Lawrence it is illegal to home butcher your old hen or mean old rooster. Probably illegal to feed your chicken left over hard boiled egg, or a sliver of cooked chicken.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

Got it, R_I. Iz gud to lern stuff reedin' OTS.

"An ocean for surfing" Andini We need more big thinkers like this!

"Dancing pigs" T_O_B I would show up for the flamenco lessons. Oink.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 11 months ago

rockchalker, Flamenco dancing is just feet, hand claps, and being bare-chested. None of those castanet thingys.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

I want to see it all. Build the ice rink, the gyms, the track & field venue, Olympic sized pools inside & out, an indoor jogging track, batting cages, a workout room for aerobics, a place for free weights & fitness machines, and, like Emily said, saunas & a healthy snack bar.

We have an opportunity to build a facility that will benefit the community tremendously & potentially become a regional recreational destination. It would be an economic boost for sure.

I thought canastas were those clikky things that R_I likes to snap while flamenco-ing.

autie 1 year, 11 months ago

A warm place with a computer for when the lieberry is closed. dudes

Gandalf 1 year, 11 months ago

100% private funding. A couple of years ago there wasn't enough money in the budget to keep full hours at the existing centers. What changed?