Previous   Next

Have you been following the Supreme Court’s hearings on the healthcare overhaul bill?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 28, 2012

Browse the archives

“Yes, and I hope it’s repealed, too. Anytime the government forces us to pay for something it isn’t a good thing. And I worry about what affects it will have on the healthcare industry.””

“Yes, I’ve been following it closely, and I’m hoping it will be overturned. I think it sticks to constitutional values not to have it in place.”

“No, I haven’t. ”

“A little bit. I know I should follow it more — I know it’s important.”

Comments

beatrice 2 years ago

Yes, I am following it, but I still do not know if it will be ruled constitutional or not. I'm glad a decision will be made, one way or another. Like the Supreme Court justices who will be making the decision, either way it goes I will still have insurance.

In the meantime, if the Affordable Care Act is ruled unconstitutional, the "red" states will continue to be, overall, the states with the lowest percentages of people covered by health insurance. Too bad for them I guess. Hope the people in those states like paying for all the emergency room bills of those not covered, because they will continue to do so.

BornAgainAmerican 2 years ago

Since Dims feel that health care is a right and should be provided for free by the government, why doesn't the government provide free guns?

FREE GUNS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_fQoh...

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

"Set up a health care investment account or annuity in a credit union, with Consumer Reports or the Sierra Club. An account that makes YOU money instead of wealthy CEO's. Your health care annuity will NOT cancel out on when the poop hits fan."

Monthly installments equal to the monthly premiums,co-pays and deductibles in this scenario will grow quickly. The thousands paid out to the industry each year goes up in smoke. Some deductibles are large enough that some consumers never get the privilege of using the insurance they pay for.

If a family is under insured it is likely that money is wasted. Look over policies carefully.

Also consumers are denied coverage while the following activity does not cease:

How are YOUR health insurance dollars spent: 1. High dollar CEO pay packages 2. Golden parachutes 3. shareholders 4. campaign contributions

1. this industry has 6 lobbyists per elected official = expensive mouth pieces

2. maybe a corp jet = high dollar maintenance

3. misinformation campaigns @ $1.4 million a day

4. How about this: Insurers Wrongfully Charging Consumers Billions http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/24/AR2009062401636.html

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

Healthcare Reform Report Card

Let's Compare:

Single-Payer (HR 676 and S 703) Expanded Medicare for All Vs. Proposed Obamacare “Private insurance with Public Option” http://www.healthcare-now.org/docs/spreport.pdf

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

The new healthcare law is "going to leave tens of millions of Americans woefully underinsured, with gaps in their coverage like copayments and deductibles, so they’ll still be bankrupted by illness.

And it’s not going to control cost," Woolhandler argues. "So we still need single-payer national health insurance regardless of what happens at the Supreme Court."

• The problem with the mandate is it’s telling people that they have to turn over their money to the private health insurance industry. There’s also $447 billion in taxpayer money that is going to be turned over to the private health insurance industry.

• So the bill is strengthening the position of the private health insurance industry, the very industry that’s responsible for $380 billion in wasted healthcare dollars on bureaucracy and paperwork.

• What’s going on here in Obamacare is we’re saying we’re going to get to universal healthcare by turning over hundreds of billions of dollars to the private health insurance industry, the group that’s been blocking reform and blocking change for decades. So, we’re starting off in the wrong direction here, if we’re trying to start going toward universal healthcare.

• When it came time for Obamacare, the Senate framework, which became the backbone of the law, was written by none other than Elizabeth Fowler, whose previous job had been vice president of WellPoint, the nation’s largest private insurance company.

• The insurance industry spent hundreds of millions of dollars lobbying on this bill. They gave hundreds of millions to the Democrats and hundreds of millions to the Republicans, both supporting and opposing the bill, but assuring that voices from the left who supported real universal healthcare, real single payer, were shut out.

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

Paying out of pocket will save thousands of dollars a year. Do medical insurance companies provide health care? NO! Invest smart instead of supporting high rollin executives and shareholders.

The USA does not need the medical insurance industry aka the middleman profiteer.

1. this industry has 6 lobbyists per elected official = expensive mouth pieces

2. maybe a corp jet = high dollar maintenace

3. misinformation campaigns @ $1.4 million a day

Let’s say millions cancel their insurance and begin paying out of pocket. Consumers would save tons of money. Cancel your medical insurance today. The industry is simply corrupt.

Healthy humans seldom spend what they pay out to the insurance industry! If millions dropped their policies not only would they save thousands of dollars annually the insurance industry would faint in disbelief that this many people actually are awake and give a damn.

Set up a health care investment account or annuity in a credit union or with Consumer Reports. An account that makes YOU money instead of wealthy CEO's. Your health care annuity will NOT cancel out on when the poop hits fan.

patkindle 2 years ago

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.."

thuja 2 years ago

Ugh. Kip hasn't done flipping anything today!

RoeDapple 2 years ago

R.I.P. Earl Scruggs (January 6, 1924 - March 28, 2012)

Antonym 2 years ago

Flippin Aaaaaa You flipping nailed it.

g_rock 2 years ago

Maybe if Babboy was flipping a little more, he would be less grumpy?

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Freakin' Cathy Hamilton doesn't give a flip . . .

Kirk Larson 2 years ago

"Anytime the government forces us to pay for something it isn’t a good thing." Like roads and other transportation systems. National defense. Clean air and water. Safe food. Law enforcement. Public education. Small business loans. Loads of research and development. Public health programs. And on like that.....

Antonym 2 years ago

I'm gonna wear my flip flops today.

Antonym 2 years ago

It's the flippin lawyers wanting to sue everybody that makes health insurance so expensive. No healthcare worker in his/her right mind will treat anyone without first having mega millions in malpractice insurance to save themselves from the ambulance chasers. The cost of all those lawsuits gets passed down to everyone needing healthcare.

Lateralis 2 years ago

People have too much faith in the Governments ability to run these entitlements. The problem with that is....there's no evidence they are successful. Medicare and Medicaid are broken as well as social security. Education is in shambles and the debt is enormous.

What is it about the government that makes you believe that they can provide healthcare any better than private corps. Don’t trust the insurance companies? Blame Obama for giving them the money. Instead of ripping off the individual they’re going to rip off the government. He sold out to corporate interests and in actuality contradicts the big corporation hate that the liberals have.

Government involvement in insurance makes costs rise, just like education.

What hasn’t been discussed is how are we going to pay for it and how will this affect the value of the dollar when government goes to the bank to borrow money increasing the debt further. Obama is selling your children’s future to corporations and financial slavery.

Rara_Avis 2 years ago

Flip Wilson had a variety show. I'd forgotten about that. Oh, and Flipper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEOeT...

g_rock 2 years ago

I had a friend that we called Flip. That wasn't his name. But he was bi-polar so we named him after his personality.

My_Life 2 years ago

Flip Flip Flip Flip Flip Flip Flip Flip Flip Flip Flip Flip, Flip This, Flip That That's all Indyan is saying now. Gotta quit letting Him read this forum. What a beautiful day to spend outdoors.

Rara_Avis 2 years ago

Nope, but I do know that you can sing "Something" by the Beatles to the music of "I Need You" by America.

Rara_Avis 2 years ago

"I hate them. I hate the ones I give money cause they are liars but I need them for my work and profession so I still play the game. Only I know it is a game."

Babboy, American Hero

Paul R Getto 2 years ago

"Love hearing the questions from the justices." === Excellent point. Their job is to give both sides the dickens and make them defend their positions. The questions asked are not always a sign of their legal thinking. Wonder if Justice Thomas will ever speak on this issue? His wife certainly has.

g_rock 2 years ago

I think that the coverage of this high profile case is a good education for folks that have no idea how the Supreme Court works. Very different. Love hearing the questions from the justices. But it really doesn't matter until they come out with the decision months from now.

I once sat in on the Supreme Court in 1989 when I was in DC on a high school trip. I don't remember the case or much about it other than my friend Lori kept falling asleep and I was afraid that we would be escorted out. She was pissed that I kept poking her.

Orwell 2 years ago

It displays the depth of ignorance in this country when someone who "works in healthcare" apparently doesn't understand a simple truth: the current system "forces us to pay" for the inefficient delayed healthcare provided to the uninsured.

prospector 2 years ago

They can't make me eat broccoli.

Boom from BABBOY.

rockchalker52 2 years ago

The Supreme Court of RC52 voted unanimously to abstain from further political questions on OTS.

CWGOKU 2 years ago

Hannah, call me. Who or what is Indyan? And should I Care? Don't read the long posts, if I want to do that I'll go read Jaybate on KUSports.com, that dude is long winded. Yawn

autie 2 years ago

That's it. I'm writing in Babboy in the election for something...maybe even Governor. He obviously has a much better handle on things than any #heblowsalot.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

That's really effed up. They is all freaked up. Buncha flip ups. (Up is my favorite word for . . . ah, forget it)

BABBOY 2 years ago

I used to be all into this crap.

I used to think I needed to be involved. I use to think everyone should be involved.

I even lobbied some and talked to idiot folks at the dome. I still do. I hate them. I hate the ones I give money cause they are liars but I need them for my work and profession so I still play the game. Only I know it is a game.

The whole process stinks. The Internet was supposed to open up the process. All it has done is allow people in power to manipulate stupid people into hurting their own interests. I do not have time or even care anymore to explain that last sentence fully. But, I get so tired of seeing people being conned by big corporations to voting against their own interests.

The folks at Koch industries with their dozens of mini foundations throughout the Tea Party and the internet have many a working American convinced that big government, health care, the democratic party and of course “liberals” are out to get them. Of course, these same groups promote affordable education for the middle class, fair working laws and environments, and yeah they want an affordable health care for the middle class.

But, you see, none of that stuff that helps the middle class helps the upper class corporations. So, through the Fox channel, the BS Koch foundations called Americans For Prosperity and other bogus flag waving con artists they have convinced the middle class working man that supporting liberals and the democrats is un-American.

Never mind that the people they want you vote for want to cut the schools, regulate the work place back to the 1900s, and destroy any entity such as lawyer or union that might help the middle class.

Thus, while this got more serious than I usually care for this site, it is all a flipping joke and the good guys are losing and already lost in this flipping state.

(Flip is code for my favorite F word by the way)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years ago

Daddy says the health care in this country ain't never gonna be right as long as the insuance companies are involved. He swears theys the ones that ruined it." - autie

Your Daddy is right. What is Medicare? Insurance, except instead of being private insurance, it is social insurance, and all of society pays for the few who use it. Damn Johnson to hell for signing the bill, but the issue started way before that.

Now your Daddy would not try to submit a bill to new tires and an oil change to his insurance company, but yes that is what health insurance is like. And since the bill is submitted to insurance for payment do you ever shop around for the best price? Do you ever haggle? No, so prices for the services go up. Then Medicare tries to control costs, but everyone knows how that works, prices accelerate. And what was Medicare patterned on? Private health care insurance.

The day cash and chickens were no longer a viable option to pay for health care and insurance was the norm is the day affordable health care ceased to exist.

autie 2 years ago

They make me pay medicare. Every two weeks I pay on my medicare premium. I ain't never used it. What's the difference?

Not to rant, but with the way the Repubs let all this go with no plan to stop the runaway train at least BRock is trying something. Which is better than nothing. As it stands now I pays an insane amount of my income for a standard policy that has a deductible so high I can't afford to have anything happen. Those insurance companies has gots us by the short hairs and ain't gong to let go for nothing. You people can bitch, moan and complain and use words like socialism but the bottom line is one can get better care in France or Sweden. All that talk that says it is bad is just a bunch of hogwash. It works. It is effective. And people aren't allowed to die because they can't afford it.

Liberty275 2 years ago

Shouldn't Merril be spamming the forum by now and Bozo shilling for the liar in chief?

LadyJ 2 years ago

Got a great laugh when I opened my paper today. There was one of those advertising stickers on it that read: Get guaranteed Porch Delivery, Effective April 1, LJW porch delivery will be offered as an add-on subscriber option with a monthly fee of $5......Standard delivery subscribers will receive driveway delivery service at no additional fee.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

They gots some Fallow Deer at a ranch down in Texas, but they look messed up to me. The growed ones have spots like Bambi and the antlers look like a elk's nightmare.Kinda like something created by David Wellington and Dr. Suess.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

I fallow no one, I am a seeder. Well, I did fallow the back forty last year. Seventh year and all that . . .

My_Life 2 years ago

Indyan gets all His healthcare for free. He doesn't have and internal organs to go on the fritz. He even offered to do anesthesiology for free for those who can't afford it. He's extremely skilled at anesthesiology. Runs in his family. Been passed down through millions of years of generations.

abit_pssd 2 years ago

The Blonde Pilot..

This  is the story of the poor dizzy blonde flying in a two-seater airplane  with just the pilot. He has a heart attack and dies. She, frantic,  calls out a May Day.

"May Day! May Day! Help me! Help me! My pilot had a heart attack and is dead, and I don't know how to fly. Help me! Please help me!"

She hears a voice over the radio saying: "This is Air Traffic Control and I have you loud and clear. I will talk you through this and get you back on the ground. I've had a lot of experience with this kind of problem.

'Now,  just take a deep breath. Everything will be fine! Now give me your  height and position."

She says, "I'm 5'4" and I'm in the front seat."

(Pause) "O.K." says the voice on the radio.... "Repeat after me: Our Father. . Who art in Heaven. . . ..."

• Someone just reminded me of this.....sorry.....

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years ago

I've been following KU basketball and that's about it........ healthcare? Psh who cares! Just need the back to last a few more years.....

abit_pssd 2 years ago

Yes. Sounds like this part will be taken out. As should from my take on it.