Previous   Next

What is your favorite memory from school?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. St. on March 26, 2012

Browse the archives

“I moved from California to Louisiana when I was in first grade. I remember standing with just the teacher the first day at recess and then this group of girls skipping up to me to ask if I wanted to play. It was like the sun had come out to not feel alone.”

“Being able to take an aerobics and pottery class my senior year.”

“Square pizza.”

Comments

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 5 months ago

Matthew pretty much sums it up for me C: And this time when Brian Busby from channel 9 news came to my 2nd grade class - that was awesome.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

May 14,1966. 11:23 PM, by the dashboard clock. But I caint talkaboutit. You know who you are . . .;-)

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh, in school? Putting pennies between the slices of buttered bread on our lunch trays then passing them through the window to the dish washers. Sometimes they would just grind but others would lock up the disposal. Really pi$$ed off the maintenance guy.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Miss Wilson in second grade was beauuuutifullll!! A first year teacher in 1955, high heels, dark red lipstick, hair permed just so. Kinda looked like June Cleaver. Even the principal couldn't keep his eyes off of her. The old letch.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh yeah, the cinnamon rolls! Lawrence High cooks made the most delicious cinnamon rolls! Even years later I would time any freight deliveries I made there so that I got there just before noon. They remembered me and would sneak a couple of rolls to me as I left. Glad they never knew about me and the pennies.

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

High school, one of the boys brought a goldfish to class in a little plastic bag that he had bought downtown. At lunchtime he swallowed it in front of everyone.

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

Going to the laudramat at the high school to get the underground newspaper.

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

LadyJ, was the undie paper called the Users' Daily Kick? Wish I still had some copies. Took Ms. Oldham's French class during lunch hour & every day without fail at 11:55, Fred H. would shout 'time to snarf some grits!' He also ate goldfish, I think. I know he threw a dead chicken onto the gym floor during an assembly.

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

Most likely, yeah, wish I had managed to save some too.

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

My first high school dance was the fall of '68. A few of us dorks showed up not knowing 'zactly how to act. I do not think we could get any girls to dance with us. There was a really good band. I wanna say it was The Fabulous Flippers, but that couldn't be right, could it? They played a great rendition of 'My Girl.'. Whenever I hear that song I always think of that dance.

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

I think it was the Fabulous Flippers, they played out of the Red Dog with a band called (Something?) and the Crabs. Their manager was a real sleaze though.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

LadyJ, did he drink the water too? I'm thinking we went to high school together . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

The Fabulous Flippers could play "Midnight Hour" like nobody else could. . Wait . . Well I guess everybody else could too . . .

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Denny and working on the stage crew. If you had him for zero hour, he would let you leave a few minutes early so you could get out of the school and skip the rest of the day.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

"It sure as hell was not spending $100 just to get gas for the lawn mower."

Old!!

Yeah, my first riding mower I could fill up then fill 3 five gallon cans all for $9.00

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Does anybody else get the gizzards from Checkers Deli? Sometimes I get two pounds of"em, breakfast, lunch and dinner for two days! And no pink slime!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

The day Ogg fell out of the tree & got scarfed by a T. Rex (we just called it a Big Bitey Thing in those days)

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 5 months ago

Back in country school at Christmas time the older kid,( me ) would get to go up to the timber and cut down a ceder tree for the season, usually took all morning to find the right tree, teacher knew what was going on------maybe not

ms_canada 2 years, 5 months ago

On days when Howie could get his older bro's car, a bunch of us would pile in and head for Vancouver (from Langley) and bum around the city for the day. That was soooo fun!!! And we never did get caught.

ms_canada 2 years, 5 months ago

Rara - what in the world has got you so riled up and angry today/ You need to simmer down and lower your blood pressure. It's not good for you, fellow. :o)

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

The euonymus is a versatile & hardy shrub.

brutus 2 years, 5 months ago

State Basketball Tournament or the "Wyandotte Invitational" as we called it. Four straight titles.

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

Miss Loughmiller. great teacher.

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

Our grade school cook made fresh from scratch cinnamon rolls every other Friday. We had so many inspections and visits from the district on those days. Mrs. Roudibush.

camper 2 years, 5 months ago

The school lunch was great and would go thru the line twice for the chicken fried steak and rolls. And my grade school in the NE had pizza every Friday. To this day I never have been able to find anything quite as good.

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

The Fabulous Flippers http://www.nebrocks.org/flippers.htm

and later my favorite Billy Spears http://www.lawrence.com/bands/billy_spears/

not a misspent youth.

camper 2 years, 5 months ago

The Fabulous Flippers look like they were good.

"I Don't Want to Cry No More"

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

Making out and rounding a few bases with Joanna Strang after school at a friends swimming pool during 5th grade (peeked early...took a few years to get back to that spot) I thought I was suave with my 6er of coke and cheap sunglasses...oh yeah!

"Back in the days when I was young I'm not a kid anymore but some days I sit and wish I was a kid again"

geoismeo 2 years, 5 months ago

Taking drivers ed with Mr. Stewart at Central. Couldn't wait to get a license.