Previous   Next

Are you a baseball fan? Would you go to a baseball museum in Kansas?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 25, 2012

Browse the archives

“We go to baseball games once in awhile. I’d go to a museum to support a local group.”

“I’m a big Cubs fan; that’s my team. I’d go to a baseball museum in the area.”

“No, I haven’t followed baseball in years. ”

“No, we don’t really watch sports.”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years ago

rantor (anonymous) says… "blah blah recoil & magazine springs predictable blah blah bunker zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

rockchalker52 2 years ago

I been through Muscotah. They have a bronze plaque at the city park talkin' up their hometown boy, Joe Tinker. Tinker to Evers to Chance. Triple play immortality. So they got some chops; a museum is not completely random.
They need good marketing & a joint with good coffee & pie. Otherwise, it's over to the Corn Crib in Corning or possibly the Noe Place in Wetmore. I would think you'd need good pie in Muscotah, though.
If you do end up in Corning at the Corn Crib, get the chicken. It's really good.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years ago

prospector, Tell me what you think of Cornerstone Coffee Haus.
Too bad our trip through central Kansas was time pinched and on a Sunday...
Bet those towns had a bunch of interesting people and places besides what we did see.

Who else has toured Ron Lessman's Truckhenge?

autie 2 years ago

Mantle played for the Independence Producers way back, not Coffeyville. Coffeyville only had bank robbers (Daltons) and meth manufacturs. And even more important, just west of the Ville is Tyro. Home of Feral Peck, noted helicopter rider.

g_rock 2 years ago

Baseball museum in Kansas sounds kind of random. Yah, there may be fans, but not a "known for" type of thing.

Mickey Mantle is from Commerce OK which is on old Route 66, 2nd town in or so. Nearby Coffeyville so that makes sense. But I bet he would have stopped at Eisler Brothers soda fountain in Baxter Springs on his way.

CWGOKU 2 years ago

No, next question, and hurry, I have a brisket on the smoker

prospector 2 years ago

Sure, if Chico Escuela is honored.

I pass on going to the Museum of Independent Telephony, the Greyhound Hall of Fame and the home of Carry Nations. I will avoid The World Largest Prairie Dog place. It looks scary and I'm not easily scared. The Sternberg and Fick museums are very cool.

For unique double horseshoe counter's try the Camellia Grill in New Orleans. Amazing! I will see what they are all about when I am in Seneca next week.

Write2Know 2 years ago

A baseball museum in Kansas would be about as silly as putting a space museum in Kansas.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years ago

autie, In Southeast Kansas? No way, they shoot guns from helicopters down there, and everyone does meth.

autie 2 years ago

You can go to Walter Johnson Park in Coffeyville. Stop in Independence and see the stadium where the first organized night game was held under electric lights. Mickey Mantle played there also. I don't know if I want a garlic ring bologna though.

Andini 2 years ago

Yes I would go. They should build one to honor Walter "Big Train" Johnson in Humboldt too.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years ago

Yes, I would go to see a baseball museum dedicated to one player from Kansas made from an old water tower in the middle of Northeast Kansas. You could have square pie in Troy, then see the David Rice Atchison presidential library (our Nations 12th president) in Atchison, then stop in Holton and see the Brome Grass Capital and get a soda at Kroger' Variety, then jump on down to the potential Joe Tinker Baseball Museum in Muscotah, hit the Cornerstone Coffee Haus with it's unique double horseshoe counter in Seneca, then jump on over to Blue Rapids and circle around the town square (it is actually a town circle), and then head to Cuba (it's current location, not where it had moved from) and pick up so garlic ring bologna at Cuba Cash Store.

classclown 2 years ago

I drove out to Cawker City just to look at a big ball of string. Of course I'd go to a baseball museum. About time we had something dedicated to a primary sport in this state instead of always settling for a secondary one.

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years ago

Chris apparently doesn't catch the March Madness bug :C he's lucky. I got fired for missing work cuz I just had to watch every game! It's madness I tell you!

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years ago

Baseball?! We're definitely not known for baseball here in Kansas...... I think a basketball museum is much more appropriate. And we have one! Allen Fieldhouse! Basketball is practically our state sport, after buffalo ridin'...... and shootin'

Bill Lee 2 years ago

I'm a Royals fan, but I'm not sure why Kansas would be an appropriate place for a baseball museum. I think there's no better way to spend a summer evening than sitting in the K soaking up the atmosphere.

Gandalf 2 years ago

All cubs fans will remain faceless to hide their shame.