Previous   Next

Have you heard of so-called pink slime as a part of ground beef product? Do you think about where your beef comes from?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 24, 2012

Browse the archives

“I try to avoid (“pink slime”) but it’s fairly unavoidable at a supermarket if you just pick up ground beef. It’s best to go to local butchers and have meat ground in front of you. It’s about knowing who and where your food is coming from.”

“I hadn’t thought about it, but the pink slime sounds gross. I wouldn’t want to eat it. ”

“Not really, I don’t think about it.”

“No, I hadn’t heard about it and I don’t think about it.”

Comments

acg 2 years ago

Yes I know what it is and I'm disgusted by it. The meat itself isn't considered fit for human consumption. That is until they spin it in a centrifuge to pull it off the fat and grisel and bone and then wash it in a carcenogen. Yummm. I know which fast foods restaurants use it, don't eat at much of them anyway, and I know which grocery stores do, too. Dillons does, in anything less than 85% lean there may be a chance of it in there. Their Sterling and Laura brands DO NOT have it. Kroger Co. will be selling out of its current stock and then won't be selling the pink slimed meat anymore after that. That ammonia wash they do to the meat is also a process they use to wash things like boxed cake mix flours, boxed brownie mix flours, etc. Look it up.

Paul R Getto 2 years ago

It's just beef scraps; all this silly controversy will accomplish will be to raise the prices at the store when they quit putting the 'leftovers' into the hamburger. Guess they'll just have to use it all up in baloney and hot dogs.

Jane 2 years ago

Cow, pig, goat, dog, cat, rodent, human, it's all flesh. Flesh is flesh no matter the source. The ammonia is used to kill E coli bacteria. The issue to focus on should be the beef industry's practices used to maximize profits. Research the topic and you can make an informed decision.

Bambi may not have pink slime but may well have 'wasting disease'. E coli and wasting disease can kill you or cause serious dis-ease in the human body.

hitme 2 years ago

People still eat red meat?

rockchalker52 2 years ago

When I was a kid all the hot dogs were incredibly bright neon red, as bright as a Louisville basketball uniform. Then they outlawed the dye & the slime went pink. Freaked me out, the pink ones did, but now the dye seems scarier

Either way it's always mustard, no ketchup.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years ago

"Renaldo, Do you know what I mean?" - prospector

I have been in that situation before...

prospector 2 years ago

I am safe, I know Free State grinds it's own.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Speaking of soy . . . the pics/videos of pink slime remind me a lot of tofu. Pink. Extruded. Tofu. Disgusting piles of soy slime. Like a hippy's BM (I assume)

RoeDapple 2 years ago

With enough soy sauce even skunk is edible . . .

rockchalker52 2 years ago

I'm gonna need a dozen hats, Roedy (is there a price break?) Also wanting a good marinade for roadkill, if you carry that.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years ago

Baking powder biscuits have more ammonia than this stuff.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Jeez, what's the big deal? If we didn't know it was there would it make any difference? Ammonia hydroxide doesn't accumulate in our systems and is not harmful in the amounts used in the process. The "questionable" beef parts are part of the more than half of the cow we throw away, parts that are readily eaten in almost every other beef eating culture in the world.

Once the apocalypse hits everyone with their nose in the air over pink slime will be killing each other over fresh rodent.

Tinfoil hars still $5.95 at RoeDy's House of Pain and Bunker Supply.

LadyJ 2 years ago

What I wonder about is whether there is pink slime in bologna or hot dogs? It kind of looks the same.

ms_canada 2 years ago

Oh, Oh, just watched a video by Jamie Oliver about pink slime and how it is made. Lost the rest of my breakie. I am never buying ground beef again. NEVER. I will buy steak and grind my own.

dajudge 2 years ago

I prefer black pepper. The standards of identity allow up to 2% rat hair and feces.

CWGOKU 2 years ago

No and no. My beef comes from the grocery store. Before that, a cow

ms_canada 2 years ago

Will someone please enlighten me, what the H is pink slime. Oh Oh I just lost my breakfast. We may be too far north to hear about stuff like that,

g_rock 2 years ago

yes no...I don't eat ground beef

but I think everyone that is whining about what is in their meat should either hunt or ranch their own

just don't eat llamas.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years ago

It has five times more ammonia than boneless lean beef trimmings.

autie 2 years ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT(Ronaldo Ignacio) says…

autie, Are you a blue cheese fan?

autie writes: Why as a matter of fact I do enjoy a bit of the mold.

sherbert 2 years ago

Didn't think about it before, but will now. Can't believe the stuff the government allows in the food industry. We need full disclosure on all products and then the public can make their own choices. Funny how they think we're too stupid to make our own decisions on fast food, salt, etc, but look what they allow behind our backs!!

prospector 2 years ago

"Parts is parts."

Test tube beef will have us forgetting about pink slime.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years ago

autie, Are you a blue cheese fan?

autie 2 years ago

Is it irony that we are going to watch the ponies run today?

woodscolt 2 years ago

Fuzzy pink slime. Fuzzy tacos.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years ago

There is no pink slime in Bambi.

Flap Doodle 2 years ago

I keep close watch on my beef, thank you very much.

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years ago

Read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair and you'll eat your pink slime and say "thank you sir may I have another?" Finely ground beef is one thing, rat feces and other various things is another. At least you know the stuff comes from a cow or something like it - manatee perhaps?

abit_pssd 2 years ago

Two questions, LJW?? Guess someone has to use their PTO........

You, LJW, have still not helped me to get rid of that stupid "CRAVE - give me more coupons 'cus ah aint fat a nuff" paper rag.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

I have eaten live bugs . . . you think a little pink slime is gonna scare me?