Previous   Next

Have you heard of so-called pink slime as a part of ground beef product? Do you think about where your beef comes from?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 24, 2012

Browse the archives

“I try to avoid (“pink slime”) but it’s fairly unavoidable at a supermarket if you just pick up ground beef. It’s best to go to local butchers and have meat ground in front of you. It’s about knowing who and where your food is coming from.”

“I hadn’t thought about it, but the pink slime sounds gross. I wouldn’t want to eat it. ”

“Not really, I don’t think about it.”

“No, I hadn’t heard about it and I don’t think about it.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

I have eaten live bugs . . . you think a little pink slime is gonna scare me?

kernal 3 years, 4 months ago

here's the site address: http://www.ljworld.com/ljworld/circulation/rc-stop/

Don't let the illegible words freak you out. If you can't make them out the first time, enter what they appear to be and if wrong, the site will ask you to go back and do it again. Usually the second batch of words you need to type in are more legible. Good luck!

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 4 months ago

Read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair and you'll eat your pink slime and say "thank you sir may I have another?" Finely ground beef is one thing, rat feces and other various things is another. At least you know the stuff comes from a cow or something like it - manatee perhaps?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 4 months ago

I keep close watch on my beef, thank you very much.

sherbert 3 years, 4 months ago

Didn't think about it before, but will now. Can't believe the stuff the government allows in the food industry. We need full disclosure on all products and then the public can make their own choices. Funny how they think we're too stupid to make our own decisions on fast food, salt, etc, but look what they allow behind our backs!!

kernal 3 years, 4 months ago

Or, buy grass fed beef raised and butchered locally .

ms_canada 3 years, 4 months ago

Will someone please enlighten me, what the H is pink slime. Oh Oh I just lost my breakfast. We may be too far north to hear about stuff like that,

dajudge 3 years, 4 months ago

I prefer black pepper. The standards of identity allow up to 2% rat hair and feces.

ms_canada 3 years, 4 months ago

Oh, Oh, just watched a video by Jamie Oliver about pink slime and how it is made. Lost the rest of my breakie. I am never buying ground beef again. NEVER. I will buy steak and grind my own.

LadyJ 3 years, 4 months ago

What I wonder about is whether there is pink slime in bologna or hot dogs? It kind of looks the same.

LadyJ 3 years, 4 months ago

Evidently Oscar Mayer, Ballpark franks, and of course Hebrew National don't.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Jeez, what's the big deal? If we didn't know it was there would it make any difference? Ammonia hydroxide doesn't accumulate in our systems and is not harmful in the amounts used in the process. The "questionable" beef parts are part of the more than half of the cow we throw away, parts that are readily eaten in almost every other beef eating culture in the world.

Once the apocalypse hits everyone with their nose in the air over pink slime will be killing each other over fresh rodent.

Tinfoil hars still $5.95 at RoeDy's House of Pain and Bunker Supply.

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm gonna need a dozen hats, Roedy (is there a price break?) Also wanting a good marinade for roadkill, if you carry that.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

With enough soy sauce even skunk is edible . . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of soy . . . the pics/videos of pink slime remind me a lot of tofu. Pink. Extruded. Tofu. Disgusting piles of soy slime. Like a hippy's BM (I assume)

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

When I was a kid all the hot dogs were incredibly bright neon red, as bright as a Louisville basketball uniform. Then they outlawed the dye & the slime went pink. Freaked me out, the pink ones did, but now the dye seems scarier

Either way it's always mustard, no ketchup.

parrothead8 3 years, 4 months ago

Um, it's not just "beef scraps." Seriously. Look it up. And beef will only cost 2-3 cents more per pound without it.

acg 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes I know what it is and I'm disgusted by it. The meat itself isn't considered fit for human consumption. That is until they spin it in a centrifuge to pull it off the fat and grisel and bone and then wash it in a carcenogen. Yummm. I know which fast foods restaurants use it, don't eat at much of them anyway, and I know which grocery stores do, too. Dillons does, in anything less than 85% lean there may be a chance of it in there. Their Sterling and Laura brands DO NOT have it. Kroger Co. will be selling out of its current stock and then won't be selling the pink slimed meat anymore after that. That ammonia wash they do to the meat is also a process they use to wash things like boxed cake mix flours, boxed brownie mix flours, etc. Look it up.