Previous   Next

Have you ever taken an art class?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth St. on March 21, 2012

Browse the archives

“I took a pottery class in Topeka. I’m all for community centers and classes.”

“Yes. A watercolor class through the arts center.”

“I took an intro to photography class at KU. I really enjoyed it; it made me question my major.”

“I haven’t but I’m a supporter of the arts and happy to have the arts center in town.”

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

It took me this long to remember something. I did take an art class once, in 9th grade. And I haven't thought about a couple interesting things about that class for years.

One of them is that the teacher told me that since I had been a respectful student, unlike a lot of the rest of the class, he had averaged together my two quarterly grades of 'B', and arrived at a grade of 'A' for the semester.

The other is that I drew a pencil sketch that I was very proud of. It became part of a display that the teacher set up in one of the halls. Then, after the display had been taken down, I asked for my sketch back, and he told me he didn't know where it was.

About 15 years later, I told a friend of mine who is a high school art teacher about that sketch that I had done that was so wonderful and then lost, and she explained that what he did with my sketch is called "saving it." Maybe that's why two 'B's averaged together was an 'A'!

Antonym 2 years, 1 month ago

I teach art classes sometimes.

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

I took all the graduate painting and drawing courses at KU. I like painting more, but the drawing classes had naked girls (most of the time).

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

I drew pictures of crashed cars in my pre-teens. Later I seemed determined to create similiar works with real automobiles. Glad I got over that before I started my trucking career.

Gandalf 2 years, 1 month ago

I try to study some cheese cake art everyday!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

If anybody wants instruction in creative dung-flinging, the lemurs are standing by to tutor you. Wear old clothes the day of class.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

Talking like a pirate is an arrrrrrht!

g_rock 2 years, 1 month ago

I was on the short yellow bus art program. My mom and sister own all of those DNA bits of the family. But I do love design, color, decorating, fashion and sewing.

Also, I drew people with wheels for feet as a yute. And antenna and belly buttons. I couldn't even get stick figures right!

CWGOKU 2 years, 1 month ago

I heard Spacehog is a nude model for art classes

prospector 2 years, 1 month ago

I love doing colors. I don't need no stinkin' class!

looza 2 years, 1 month ago

No .....but I sat next to a guy named Art in class once.

CWGOKU 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes. I got artsy, but no class. I still like my lava lamp

asixbury 2 years, 1 month ago

Took an art class every year I was in school, throughout college as well....so that makes about 17-18 years of art classes (usually more then one a year, too).

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 1 month ago

I took an arctic lass once. Well Canadian anyway.

BABBOY 2 years, 1 month ago

7th grade. Teacher was loser. Central Topeka. Could not control the class. Very violent school. Learned lots of things they did not intend to teach. USD 501 was total embarrassment to itself and even worse now from what I see. I went to school in the 70s and 80s. I learned grammar in college -- not grades 1-12. Some would correctly say my grammar is still iffy even though I am published in at least one college journal about 100 years ago (drove editor nuts) I moved out of Topeka to avoid having my kids go there.

Very disappointing experience

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

I once took 4 -1 gallon jugs of concentrated food coloring out to a snow covered field and shot 'em with the .243. Sure wish I had an aerial photo of that, or slo-mo video. Hell, that oughta qualify as art if some of that scrap metal downtown does.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't shoot at tires, my buddy shot one with his .45 and the bullet bounced off the tire and cracked the back glass of the truck behind him.

Might try it with some AP 7.62x51 though . . . One of these days I'm gonna shoot the old propane bottle with a tracer round. You is invited to the show . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Nah, I thinks sumbuddy are halucinatin' er sumpin

autie 2 years, 1 month ago

Roe, do you know what shooting purple tires is? Or am I right thinking that those 'artist' were all tresspassing?

LadyJ 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the link Roe, I had actually missed thuja's comment to my post on Mother Nature's art. Worth reposting here .thuja(anonymous)replies… There's a whole discussion in and of itself. Is art only made by people, or definable by people? Is that bird watching the pretty sunset, thinking "how pretty", or does the sunset say, "I am a pretty sunset"? Do sunsets exist or are they purely a subjective experience? Does art exist or is it purely subjective as well?

Bill Lee 2 years, 1 month ago

Lots of art classes in grade school. I took a terrific woodcarving class from local carver Larry Heinen several years ago. I'll never be as good as he is, but I'll keep trying. Most of my carvings are mental projects that I never seem to execute.

My_Life 2 years, 1 month ago

Don't forget the art of shooting purple tires.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 1 month ago

The art of sarcasm.

It was totally worth the $800 dollar fee.

autie 2 years, 1 month ago

I have only taken art in seventh grade. But I think I could teach an art class. The art of shooting poor little defensless birds. Be it waterfowl or upland game or other migratory birds. I am an equal opportunity killer. When not killing birds, bowling pins are elusive little critters to kill too. And if they are not available, rocks will do fine.

My_Life 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes, last Fall. There were a group of us out on a peaceful evening in the country by a pond learning to sketch wildlife. Mostly turtle doves coming in for a drink on a hot afternoon. It was so very beautiful and peaceful and tranquil. A picture only God could create. Then without warning and out of nowhere some crazed soul jumps up and starts blasting with a huge cannon and kills or mames every one of those beautiful doves. It was a tragic and senseless bloodbath. But yet this guy was joyous and exhuberent that he had blasted so many defenseless little birds with his cannon. He was screaming what a great hunter he was, cannon still in hand. Needless to say, we got out of there before he decided killing little birdies wasn't enough to satisify.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 1 month ago

"Have you ever taken an art class?"

Why, is there one missing?

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

3rd grade finger painting. How was I supposed to know I shouldn't paint "The Finger"?

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 1 month ago

I took one once. It was really strange, I was in a room and there was a chair that I think was the subject to draw. So I start drawing this chair, and all of the sudden this naked man comes into the room and sits on the chair! I left the room immediately. Was the darndest thing.........