Previous   Next

Have you ever taken an art class?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth St. on March 21, 2012

Browse the archives

“I took a pottery class in Topeka. I’m all for community centers and classes.”

“Yes. A watercolor class through the arts center.”

“I took an intro to photography class at KU. I really enjoyed it; it made me question my major.”

“I haven’t but I’m a supporter of the arts and happy to have the arts center in town.”

Comments

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 9 months ago

I took one once. It was really strange, I was in a room and there was a chair that I think was the subject to draw. So I start drawing this chair, and all of the sudden this naked man comes into the room and sits on the chair! I left the room immediately. Was the darndest thing.........

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

3rd grade finger painting. How was I supposed to know I shouldn't paint "The Finger"?

DillonBarnes 2 years, 9 months ago

The art of sarcasm.

It was totally worth the $800 dollar fee.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 9 months ago

Sure, I'm on my way, because you are suuch a good teacher.

Bill Lee 2 years, 9 months ago

Lots of art classes in grade school. I took a terrific woodcarving class from local carver Larry Heinen several years ago. I'll never be as good as he is, but I'll keep trying. Most of my carvings are mental projects that I never seem to execute.

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the link Roe, I had actually missed thuja's comment to my post on Mother Nature's art. Worth reposting here .thuja(anonymous)replies… There's a whole discussion in and of itself. Is art only made by people, or definable by people? Is that bird watching the pretty sunset, thinking "how pretty", or does the sunset say, "I am a pretty sunset"? Do sunsets exist or are they purely a subjective experience? Does art exist or is it purely subjective as well?

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

Oh . . . thuja. I thought we were patching things up. . . . Game on! ;-)

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

Nah, I thinks sumbuddy are halucinatin' er sumpin

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't shoot at tires, my buddy shot one with his .45 and the bullet bounced off the tire and cracked the back glass of the truck behind him.

Might try it with some AP 7.62x51 though . . . One of these days I'm gonna shoot the old propane bottle with a tracer round. You is invited to the show . . .

Liberty275 2 years, 9 months ago

Back in the day, we'd take half-full 30 lb containers of freon (when R12 was 30 cents a pound) and shoot them with .357s. It was really only fun once per can. A full propane bottle with a tracer would definitely be cooler... in a hot way.

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

Yup, those freon cans are something I quit shooting also! Took two of them to the pond one time. The first one spun around on the water then launched straight toward me! The second disappeared until I turned to walk back to the truck then dropped where I had been standing. Them interactive targets could get a shooter hurt!

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

I once took 4 -1 gallon jugs of concentrated food coloring out to a snow covered field and shot 'em with the .243. Sure wish I had an aerial photo of that, or slo-mo video. Hell, that oughta qualify as art if some of that scrap metal downtown does.

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

Took an art class every year I was in school, throughout college as well....so that makes about 17-18 years of art classes (usually more then one a year, too).

looza 2 years, 9 months ago

No .....but I sat next to a guy named Art in class once.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

If anybody wants instruction in creative dung-flinging, the lemurs are standing by to tutor you. Wear old clothes the day of class.

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

I drew pictures of crashed cars in my pre-teens. Later I seemed determined to create similiar works with real automobiles. Glad I got over that before I started my trucking career.

Liberty275 2 years, 9 months ago

I took all the graduate painting and drawing courses at KU. I like painting more, but the drawing classes had naked girls (most of the time).

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

Are you sure there isn't an F in your class?

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

It took me this long to remember something. I did take an art class once, in 9th grade. And I haven't thought about a couple interesting things about that class for years.

One of them is that the teacher told me that since I had been a respectful student, unlike a lot of the rest of the class, he had averaged together my two quarterly grades of 'B', and arrived at a grade of 'A' for the semester.

The other is that I drew a pencil sketch that I was very proud of. It became part of a display that the teacher set up in one of the halls. Then, after the display had been taken down, I asked for my sketch back, and he told me he didn't know where it was.

About 15 years later, I told a friend of mine who is a high school art teacher about that sketch that I had done that was so wonderful and then lost, and she explained that what he did with my sketch is called "saving it." Maybe that's why two 'B's averaged together was an 'A'!

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

My teacher "saved" one of my sketches once, but she asked for it. I felt honored that my revered art teacher wanted something I created! I hope you enjoyed your class.

Experts (who they are, I don't know) say that a person's ability to draw stops developing around 5th grade. If you do not take classes or develop your skills further somehow, your ability will be forever frozen at your 5th grade level.