Previous   Next

Where do you first turn for reference when you have a question?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 16, 2012

Browse the archives

“Google.”

“I often have questions about words, so I use an online thesaurus, or a book if I have one handy.”

“Google or Wikipedia to start researching.”

“I use Google but I don’t use Wikipedia that often because I don’t trust it. It depends on how serious the question is.”

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Mrs RoeD tells me everything I'm allowed to know.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't remember Mrs RoeD giving you her OK for everything you heard earlier tonight. As I recall, this is not the first time we had to put up with you and didn't even get to see her!

But, maybe you can perk her up a bit by giving her a couple of really fine gemstones to be made into jewelry. I wonder what the jeweler is going to say when he sees them.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

. . . the . . . voices . .

They won't leave me alone. Night and day they speak to me.

grammaddy 2 years, 7 months ago

The neighborhood teenagers. They know everything.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 7 months ago

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas. (from a source)

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

Hickspeak is the sacred tongue of all things wry & pertinent.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Ask a retired truck driver.

What we don't know we at least have an opinion on . . .

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 7 months ago

Truck drivers are the wisest people of all for two reasons: 1) They have plenty of time to think about things while they're driving. 2) They've seen so many idiots on the road that they know the wrong way to do everything.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm always shocked when I get my phone bill after I've called my friend in the 900 area code. But she's always willing to talk for as long as I want, unlike so many of my other friends.

number3of5 2 years, 7 months ago

a good old fashioned DICTIONARY.

David Klamet 2 years, 7 months ago

How many people besides you and I know what this is? In Lawrence, might be more than I would otherwise expect.

gonewest 2 years, 4 months ago

It extends life. It extends consciousness. It gives the spacing guild the ability to fold space. That is, traveling through space, without moving.

I live in the San Francisco bay area. Among "nerds" this is common knowledge. There are many nerds here. I wonder just how many of my former neighbors do know of this.

I only know that many do not. And still, I miss Lawrence. Nostalgia was considered by the ancients to be something of an affliction. I understand this perspective all too well.

Spangler 2 years, 7 months ago

I turn to the Bible, because as everyone knows, "ALL the answers are in the Bible".

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 7 months ago

That is definitely true. The only problem is that it can be very difficult to read between the lines to see what the Hebrews have called the "sod" since antiquity.

The reasoning behind that is that it is necessary to look beyond what the text literally says in order to determine what it really means to you personally today, in light of all the scientific advances that we have made since the text was written.

But, fundamentalist Christians don't go for that concept at all, it's a Jewish thing.

Katara 2 years, 7 months ago

Either tea leaves or knuckle bones.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 7 months ago

Wanna come over sometime for a look into my crystal ball?

No joke, I really do have one. Well, actually more than one, but only one of them is relatively clear quartz.

equalaccessprivacy 2 years, 7 months ago

The Duckduckgo search engine does not track users like Google does.