Previous   Next

How do you think Kansas men’s basketball will do in the NCAA tournament?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 10, 2012

Browse the archives

“We will win the championship this year.”

“We’ll make it to the Elite Eight at best.”

“I think we can win the Big 12 but I have a feeling we’ll lose in the Elite Eight.”

“I think we’ll fall apart in the Elite Eight. ”

Comments

jimjones 2 years, 9 months ago

Give the players and coaches credit. They've over-achieved all year. If we win one game, we've still had a better season than what we thought. We're a pretty spoiled lot as Kansas fans. I am disappointed to possibly not get the #1 spot in the midwest of the tournament and especially to think MU might get it. But the reality is, that for this one season, MU finally has a seasoned team of good players and we don't. Next year, they lose six seniors (and who knows how many will go to prison). They'll be in the bottom half of the SEC. They'll never win the SEC in either sport Kind of makes me wish we'd play them next year. So, I'd like us to go far, but I'd guess we win the first two.

Loki 2 years, 9 months ago

Bites that a much better conference wanted Mizzou and when it came to someone wanting KU all you heard was crickets chirping.

Mike Ford 2 years, 9 months ago

VCU made the NCAA tourney again....KU will lose to another over achieving david looking to slay goliath and KU will not rise to the occasion....Baylor was a precursor to this......

woodscolt 2 years, 9 months ago

Baylor is hardly an over achieving david. Neither syracuse nor Kentucky would have to play through an opponent as tough as baylor or Missouri even if they win their conference tourney championship.

Loki 2 years, 9 months ago

Rock Choke Jayhawk! Self has a tough time preparing for the big time!

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 9 months ago

He's won a national championship.... against a team that featured a franchise player in Derrick Rose. We have had some tough losses, but we pick ourselves up and keep winning. Take your negativity to the bathroom next time and put it in the proper receptacle. That is all.

Loki 2 years, 9 months ago

"A" being the key word... hasn't proved himself with any follow ups has he?

jonas_opines 2 years, 9 months ago

Totally. If you can't continually win championships in the same frame of time that speeding tickets drop off of your license, then you are a failure as a coach.

sundancewierdo 2 years, 9 months ago

One important fact of college basketball. Each season, out of 345 schools, only 2 teams will end their season with a win. The winner of the NIT tournament, and the winner of the NCAA tournament. That's 343 coaches that can't prepare for the big game.

webmocker 2 years, 9 months ago

For at least one more year, this is not entirely accurate.

There are still 5 independent schools in Division 1 (and after next year, one will remain), and it is possible that one or more could win their last game of the year without going to either tourney.

This year, for instance, the CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners won their final game, yet did not qualify for either tourney.

Yes, too much time on my hands. :-)

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 9 months ago

Jake+Dustin+Alli = ye of little faith :) Alex has the faith! Championship baby!

grammaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

Amen! Every year is"Our Year" until it's not. Alex is a TRUE fan. Rock Chalk ride or die!!

Joe Hyde 2 years, 9 months ago

In the first place, getting beat by this year's Baylor squad is no disgrace. Baylor is good, and so is Missouri. Either one of those teams could go on to be national champs in the NCAA Tourney.

KU is already guaranteed an invitation to the NCAA Tournament. So after losing yesterday to Baylor, KU's only real "loss" is that the team gets a longer rest period before the Big Show starts. Nobody risks getting injured in what would be, for KU, a meaningless post-season conference tournament game (it was scary last night, seeing J'Covan Brown and Kim English getting hurt).

Another plus: KU won't go into the NCAA Tournament riding a long winning streak, which for any team often translates to players feeling tremendous pressure not to lose...instead of playing loose and just having fun.

So I have a feeling KU might do pretty good in the NCAA.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 9 months ago

Coach Self forgot to prep his team for the Baylor Bears. He also did not prep the team for Missouri which the Jayhawks barely won.

Can Coach self prep the team for the NCAA battle coming up soon?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Time for a new coach? After nearly 10 years....

sundancewierdo 2 years, 9 months ago

Um, you don't fire a coach who has won 8 straight reg season champs and 1 national title thrown in there for good measure. You did a great job trolling here because you got a response out of me.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

I'd swear that I saw this exact same post on two other threads of this award-winning website this evening. Is this one joining your catalog of posts to be endlessly repeated?

CHEEZIT 2 years, 9 months ago

You must be thinking of Bonnie Winlessson!

1southernjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Deja Coffin 2 years, 9 months ago

One dollar Drew............ oh wait, nevermind. Um, I think we'll make it to Elite Eight BUT I hope we make it further and go all the way. Can't wait for selection Sunday! The Hubs and I always make a friendly wager over whose bracket will go the furthest and so far I've lost EVERY year but this could be my year!!! I just feel it!!

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 9 months ago

Think it was the "neon outfits" that coach Self didn't care for??? As for tournament maybe sweet 16------

Kyle Neuer 2 years, 9 months ago

Ask me again after the brackets come out.

We are thin this year, but, if you'll recall, that didn't bother Arizona much in '97. The sky's the limit. RCJH.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

When our tentacled overlords arrive, they will use Gary Spivey's head to clean their massive ears.

James Nelson 2 years, 9 months ago

KU will beat North Carolina to win the mid-west regional but then lose to Syracuse in the final 4.

Richard Payton 2 years, 9 months ago

My final four dream would place all Big 12 teams in the final four. Baylor from the South and Missouri winning the West. Then Kansas State out the East with Kansas from the Midwest.

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 9 months ago

They looked tired against Baylor.

We will go as far as Robinson and Tyshawn can take us and I think they are capable of going all the way, however, they have to solve this fatigue issue.

Are they getting enough sleep?

Loki 2 years, 9 months ago

KU got the easiest draw and will still sputter and fall.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 9 months ago

Roy won a lot of games yet some were asking often for him to be replaced. So I thought what the hell does it really matter how many games a coach wins.

Coach Self has done a good job no question about it. Jayhawks are constantly receiving so much praise that I wonder if it would be best to restrain a bit until seasons end.

So what about Detroit? Can they beat KU?