Previous   Next

How do you save money while grocery shopping?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth St. on March 9, 2012

Browse the archives

“Use coupons. A lot of coupons.”

“We look in the paper to see what’s on sale and go to different stores.”

“Kind of look for deals and clip coupons; try to buy the cheapest thing.”

“Look for sales, and that’s about it.”

Comments

Katara 2 years, 1 month ago

I plan the meals for the week based on what's on sale. I use coupons. I don't buy stuff that we don't use (unless I'm planning on donating it.). I don't go shopping hungry. I stockpile enough items that we use to last until the next sale. I buy in bulk when possible and divide it up into meal sized portions.

Pywacket 2 years, 1 month ago

I guess couponing is like gambling in that most take a normal approach but some people become addicted. I cut coupons for brands we normally buy, but I don't use many because I'm not very brand loyal. Nine times out of ten generics are as good as (or better than) the expensive brand-name item. And even with coupons, name brands usually cost more.

Some people who go ape sh** over coupon "savings" don't factor in their time. If they calculated a decent wage for the time they spend poring over ads, strategizing where they'll spend which coupons, driving from store to store, etc, they might find they aren't saving nearly as much as they claim.

I do most of my shopping at Checkers but my husband will pick up sale items from a Price Chopper he passes on his way home from work (i.e, no extra mileage). I'll also grab a few items from Aldi's if I'm in the vicinity. And I cook from scratch. We eat well and don't spend a fortune on it.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 1 month ago

Shop around the perimeter aisles, where the fresh food is to be found, and forget coupons, they are only for overly processed brand names. Made friends with the meat counter dudes, they are really helpful about cuts of meat and what to do with them. Cook in bulk once a week, (roasted veggies ftw, mix with a meat or protein) and live off what's been cooked ahead, no extra trips to the store for "forgot its" or sudden nights out because nothing is ready to eat.

brutus 2 years, 1 month ago

I use the coupons for Pizza Hut and Steak & Shake. If you buy enough pizzas at Papa Murphy's they will give you a free one.

CWGOKU 2 years, 1 month ago

Gee, I guess just stay out of the store unless really need something. Sorry, that is the best I can do at the moment. I just read a Merrill comment over on the poll, it was followed by a Babboy chaser. All the ignorance zapped my brain. Later, I need a walk and fresh air. Sigh...

Gandalf 2 years, 1 month ago

Break into auties or riverdrifters freezer.

prospector 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't scrimp on sustenance.

Pywacket 2 years, 1 month ago

G-rock, I hear you! And if the coupon is expired, they'll argue about it, then fish in their cavernous purse to find reading glasses, then reluctantly concede, while still acting as if the check-out person has wronged them....

When the final amount due is announced, they'll start fishing for the checkbook and only then will they start their flippin' check. Why do some people have so little self awareness?

g_rock 2 years, 1 month ago

What is it about coupons that can turn a person nutty? I get saving money. I don't get those "stockpile" peeps on the TV though. I've started noticing more and more of them at the store. I always end up behind one or one behind me that the cashier is dreading and is calling in the reinforcements.

I worked at Food 4 Less in North Topeka as a yute. We had "The Coupon Lady." She had to be 70 with a black wig and a rain bonnet over it no matter what the weather. She had 2 grocery sacks full of coupons. After you scanned her stuff, she would reach into each bag and pull out a handful of random coupons. These were the days before automatic scanning coupons and you had to go through the receipt to see what she bought and see if any of them really matched. Most of them were expired anyway. Usually there was one or two that would work. Sometimes none. But you had to go through whatever she gave you. It was a test of customer service skills!

Seth Peterson 2 years, 1 month ago

I use the Lawrence Give Back program - it's not a huge savings, but it helps out when needed.

BABBOY 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh flip I do not know.

Ask me another question.

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

I just buy the "pink slime" instead of ground beef. I also got to Hyvee on Clinton and eat the samples until I am filled then later I come back with my date and we eat again. Paying with fake money helps as well. I sometime flirt with the old women, you know, shakin my junk for a loaf of bread.

thuja 2 years, 1 month ago

Avoid going to the store when you are hungry and/or feelin' irie.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

Never take lemurs shopping with you.

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 1 month ago

Sale ads Coupons Matching coupons with sale ads Buying off brand items

TopJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

non prepared foods.
Dried beans instead of canned. no meat everyday.
Lots of leftovers. Off brands. Buy in bulk when possible. Do real cooking. If you do this, you can easily afford to feed a family of four on what you get for food stamps every week.

Loki 2 years, 1 month ago

I live off of beenie weenies... BTW does it smell in here?