Previous   Next

How do you save money while grocery shopping?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth St. on March 9, 2012

Browse the archives

“Use coupons. A lot of coupons.”

“We look in the paper to see what’s on sale and go to different stores.”

“Kind of look for deals and clip coupons; try to buy the cheapest thing.”

“Look for sales, and that’s about it.”

Comments

Loki 2 years, 9 months ago

I live off of beenie weenies... BTW does it smell in here?

TopJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

non prepared foods.
Dried beans instead of canned. no meat everyday.
Lots of leftovers. Off brands. Buy in bulk when possible. Do real cooking. If you do this, you can easily afford to feed a family of four on what you get for food stamps every week.

ms_canada 2 years, 9 months ago

Except for food stamps, which we don't have here, I echo all your comments TJ. We don't eat junk food or buy ready prepared. I make a lot of soup and we don't eat meat everyday either. There are other foods that give good value in protein.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, you say that now. Then there's screaming and running....

somedude20 2 years, 9 months ago

I just buy the "pink slime" instead of ground beef. I also got to Hyvee on Clinton and eat the samples until I am filled then later I come back with my date and we eat again. Paying with fake money helps as well. I sometime flirt with the old women, you know, shakin my junk for a loaf of bread.

Seth Peterson 2 years, 9 months ago

I use the Lawrence Give Back program - it's not a huge savings, but it helps out when needed.

brutus 2 years, 9 months ago

I use the coupons for Pizza Hut and Steak & Shake. If you buy enough pizzas at Papa Murphy's they will give you a free one.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 9 months ago

Shop around the perimeter aisles, where the fresh food is to be found, and forget coupons, they are only for overly processed brand names. Made friends with the meat counter dudes, they are really helpful about cuts of meat and what to do with them. Cook in bulk once a week, (roasted veggies ftw, mix with a meat or protein) and live off what's been cooked ahead, no extra trips to the store for "forgot its" or sudden nights out because nothing is ready to eat.

Katara 2 years, 9 months ago

I plan the meals for the week based on what's on sale. I use coupons. I don't buy stuff that we don't use (unless I'm planning on donating it.). I don't go shopping hungry. I stockpile enough items that we use to last until the next sale. I buy in bulk when possible and divide it up into meal sized portions.