Previous   Next

Do you speak any languages other than English?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 23rd St. on March 3, 2012

Browse the archives

“I speak Spanish. I’d say I’m 80 to 90 percent fluent.”

“I used to be fluent in Spanish but I lost it.”

“I don’t but I wish I did — probably Chinese if I could learn.”

“Mandarin and German.”

Comments

Kirk Larson 2 years, 1 month ago

Loquor Latinam paulam et nasema Kiswahili kidogo.

ShePrecedes 2 years, 1 month ago

German, Spanish and X-Box Explicatives

uglyrumor 2 years, 1 month ago

The international language. Lane Myer knows what I'm talkin about.

tange 2 years, 1 month ago

I caught an interesting segment on Hedy Lamarr, this morn, including early lingual challenges and unexpected intellect/inventiveness which left me wondering whether her first name might incorrectly have been transcribed. But then I happened onto this little gem, and it was love at first sight...

Mike Ford 2 years, 1 month ago

Choctaw, along with several other Native Languages, also learning Spanish and Romani.

autie 2 years, 1 month ago

but hey, tange can speak red head...or at least used to. I forgot it was a dialect of Colorado...I think?

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

I was taght how to tell someone to go "have intimate relations with their maternal unit" in Chinese. I have never used the phrase, as is obvious due to my still being alive.

ms_canada 2 years, 1 month ago

you know the saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none". I guess I am a jill of many languages, mistress of none. I studied French and German in high school, spanish and portuguese since then and know a few essential Arabic words, but not fluent in any of them. The french and spanish do help when traveling in Quebec and South and Central America. And studying those languages did give me a lot of pleasure.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 1 month ago

No, I live in the U.S.A ,, oh I did pick up some Spanish --Taco-Bell

Rara_Avis 2 years, 1 month ago

Sound Off: Is Christmas always on Sunday? No, but Christmas always is on Dec. 25.

My favorite scene from the 1983 classic "Valley Girl": Tommy: [while getting his ticket torn by Randy, who is working as an usher and wearing 3D glasses] Bitchin'! Is this in 3D? Randy: No, but you're face is.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 1 month ago

"Sound Off: Is Christmas always on Sunday?"

That's it. I've found the Holy Grail. The perfect example of why the LJW should stop the idiotic Sound Off. What kind of freaking moron asks a question like that? And why would it be published? At least start attaching names to these foolish questions.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 1 month ago

Eine kleine mich Berlin, or however you say I Am a Doughnut, in German.

kernal 2 years, 1 month ago

Double speak and smart azz with a Southern drawl.

g_rock 2 years, 1 month ago

I only speak Russian if I'm really really drunk. It is like an alarm signal that things are probably going down hill from there...

prospector 2 years, 1 month ago

I hope to be speaking German soon, Miabock please.

grammaddy 2 years, 1 month ago

Fluent in Sarcasm and wise-acre.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

autie that aspirin trick don't work no how and besides it ain't for dudes. You might pinch the twins.

jjt 2 years, 1 month ago

When I came here from the UK I thought that I spoke English, but I found that many folk could not understand me. I have learnt to speak American which is similar but different to English and often spelt wrong. For example you guys say erb where we say Herb because it has an H in it. We say check (as in money) and it is spelt cheque. There are many things that I might say inocently and mean something terrible here. I once mentioned my cat on the Radio and folk in the station were running up and down saying he didn't just say that did he? Clearly I could go on. The experts say that American English is nearer to the old English.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

I remember more of my 8th grade Latin than my Spanish, but only the swear words. Those weren't my most attentive school years . . .

autie 2 years, 1 month ago

LadyJ, do me a favor and quit telling me to eat that other piece of pie. Send me one of them telerpatic messages telling me to go fishing today.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

Used to know enough German to get around, but haven't used it in decades.

ivalueamerica 2 years, 1 month ago

Spanish and American Sign Language

LadyJ 2 years, 1 month ago

I can communicate telepathically, those voices you hear in your head, that's me.

tange 2 years, 1 month ago

Briefly, I spoke redhead. But, as one quickly learns, it's a moveable language.

autie 2 years, 1 month ago

Virgil...Virgil and me speak like Southeast Kansas folks. Duh. The difference being I never did get no helicopter ride in one with a door gun. That, and I really did play football in high school. I tried to hold an aspirin between my legs..it don't work for too long neither...it gave me a headache.

deec 2 years, 1 month ago

Does deciphering right wing trollspeak count?

Gandalf 2 years, 1 month ago

Does speaking in tongues count?

ohjayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Took 3 years of German in high school. Wouldn't be able to have a conversation in it to save my life today.