Previous   Next

Do you speak any languages other than English?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 23rd St. on March 3, 2012

Browse the archives

“I speak Spanish. I’d say I’m 80 to 90 percent fluent.”

“I used to be fluent in Spanish but I lost it.”

“I don’t but I wish I did — probably Chinese if I could learn.”

“Mandarin and German.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Took 3 years of German in high school. Wouldn't be able to have a conversation in it to save my life today.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

Only if there is someone present that can interpret what you are saying.

1 Corinthians Chapter 14, verses 27, 28: "If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn; and let one interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silence in church and speak to himself and to God."

deec 2 years, 9 months ago

Does deciphering right wing trollspeak count?

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 9 months ago

That sucks when any innocuous question gets turned into a political soapbox.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

Aber, möglicherweise ein wenig Deutsch.

Ksgirl2000 2 years, 9 months ago

Then you speak many languages? Impressive!

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

I can communicate telepathically, those voices you hear in your head, that's me.

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

Unless the hum is a tune of some sort, it's your own.

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

To make sure, you might want to try a tinfoil hat. If you still hear it, it is indeed tinnitus. There are websites to show you how to make some or I think there are several posters on this forum that have some to lend you.

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

Some very interesting websites available but they would definately get TOSsed if I posted a link. Definately not police issue.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

Used to know enough German to get around, but haven't used it in decades.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

More like, not since I was protecting the likes of you from the godless Commies.

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

Done, unless Momma has other ideas for you. Invite her along, that might help.

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

I remember more of my 8th grade Latin than my Spanish, but only the swear words. Those weren't my most attentive school years . . .

jjt 2 years, 9 months ago

When I came here from the UK I thought that I spoke English, but I found that many folk could not understand me. I have learnt to speak American which is similar but different to English and often spelt wrong. For example you guys say erb where we say Herb because it has an H in it. We say check (as in money) and it is spelt cheque. There are many things that I might say inocently and mean something terrible here. I once mentioned my cat on the Radio and folk in the station were running up and down saying he didn't just say that did he? Clearly I could go on. The experts say that American English is nearer to the old English.

kernal 2 years, 9 months ago

"The experts say that American English is nearer to the old English." Especially true in the Appalachian area of the U.S.; or, at least it was more so in the early 20th century than today.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

Children from the UK in elementary school are never supposed to ask for an eraser using their vernacular in the United States, and for heaven's sake, never ask anyone if you can go out and smoke a cigarette.

jjt 2 years, 9 months ago

Ha Ha, yes very good. Not a good idea here.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

I was wondering who all was going to understand that!

If anyone wants to know what that meant, never mind.

peoplewatcher 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm completely with you on this one jjt,.... I had to re-learn how to pronounce and write so many words. I got laughed at a lot for asking for a rubber(eraser) and talking about my cat as well cos of referring to him as pussy. now every time i go back home i have to re-wire my brain all over. hahaha.....People back home keep telling me i speak American

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

autie that aspirin trick don't work no how and besides it ain't for dudes. You might pinch the twins.

LadyJ 2 years, 9 months ago

I have a feeling Roe can get his message across without saying a word whether it's on a river bank or standing in his doorway.

ms_canada 2 years, 9 months ago

prospector - here is a good phrase for you - ein biere, bitte, upon receipt of same, danke, mein herr. hope that helps get you a cold one.

kernal 2 years, 9 months ago

Double speak and smart azz with a Southern drawl.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 9 months ago

No, I live in the U.S.A ,, oh I did pick up some Spanish --Taco-Bell

ms_canada 2 years, 9 months ago

you know the saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none". I guess I am a jill of many languages, mistress of none. I studied French and German in high school, spanish and portuguese since then and know a few essential Arabic words, but not fluent in any of them. The french and spanish do help when traveling in Quebec and South and Central America. And studying those languages did give me a lot of pleasure.

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

I was taght how to tell someone to go "have intimate relations with their maternal unit" in Chinese. I have never used the phrase, as is obvious due to my still being alive.

Mike Ford 2 years, 9 months ago

Choctaw, along with several other Native Languages, also learning Spanish and Romani.

Kirk Larson 2 years, 9 months ago

Loquor Latinam paulam et nasema Kiswahili kidogo.