Previous   Next

Assuming you survived, what would you want to have with you after a nuclear holocaust?

Browse the archives

“My tablet (computer) because if there was anybody out there broadcasting, at least you could see it. Plus you could entertain yourself and books are very important.”

“Some means of communication: radio, TV or telephone, just so I would know if there were other people out there.”

“Basic resources and a place of refuge.”

“Tools; if you’re going to rebuild, you’ve go to start with tools.”

Comments

RogueThrill 2 years, 5 months ago

Something pleasant to overdose on. It's a nuclear holocaust and we all live in the northern hemisphere. You can either die strung out on morphine, crapping your own pants; or you you can die in pain, crapping blood and the lining of your intestines into your pants.

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

EMP would take out most everything. Maybe Freestate could still keep filling growlers.

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

O_Bob, if you were out of here, I was quitting this joint. All points bulletin/milk carton watch for H-lector.

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

Mahatma, as in gondie. Zip. Zilch. No even start car, from what I've read. Am I correct, anyone that knows of such things??

tomatogrower 2 years, 5 months ago

gphawk89, so true. And even if you weren't close enough for EMP, who is going to keep the electric grids running. I suppose if you had solar panels, it might work, but really?

Heisenberg 2 years, 5 months ago

Not everyone understands how to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. But that's okay, they'll be food and slaves for the almighty king MacGuyver.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

I would want to be raising my finger from the big red disapearededed button and saying," WHOA!! Now that's what Ima taukinbout!"

(beatrice would be so proud of me)

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

tange...best post on here! My uncle had a farm in North Carolina when I was a little girl and we visited as often as possible throughout the years. The mega-narcissistic rooster started his day crowing at 3:30 a.m. every single "morning" of the year. I used to hear that rooster start crowing, would look at the clock...sure enough, 3:30 a.m. I would smile, roll over, and go back to sleep. Such a sense of security for whatever reason. I'm surprised that rooster lived a full life because my uncle started his day at 4:30 a.m. I miss hearing a rooster crow at 3:30 a.m. That would wake anyone out of a nuclear holocaust nightmare! :~)

Btw...I posted a rather tardy comment on "Cosmetic Surgery"...I don't think it's on "the list" any longer...you may not even see this one...I tried posting a comment earlier today...I kept getting sent back to "sign in" ,so, I gave up. You may end up with more than this post. I do not like the way this is set up now. Changing my clothes was a pain-in-the-neck!! s-m-i-l-e

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

YES!! Their windows didn't even have screens...that seemed amazing to me. Precious memories, indeed...how I hold them close to my heart. To this day, the cooing of the doves takes me straight back to North Carolina and those cherished relatives. Home-made ice cream in an old churn...my uncle layered newspaper on top for the children to take turns sitting on while an adult turned the handle...and as it got more and more difficult to turn, an older, larger child would have to sit on it. No electric, new-fangled churns back then! Most delicious ice cream in the world...

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Check, check and check on 1, 2, and 3. Also on autie's comment below.

labmonkey 2 years, 5 months ago

Guns, gold, and land (along with at least the survival water straw and MRE's). Secondarily, my wife and two or three redheads so I can help repopulate the earth.

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Haven't a clue. Just gonna keep playing the odds. I'm betting that, if it happens, it won't be until the worst it can do to me is knock my urn off the mantel.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Up at 4AM today, casting the currency of the next decade. Another 400 of .45acp. Between this weather and the casting pot it's best done before the sun gets too high . . .

(Brought to you by RoeDy's House of Paranoia and Prepper Supply)

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

lab - Three redheads? or ground zero? Better think it over . . .

labmonkey 2 years, 5 months ago

Maybe a couple of redheads along with my wife in a bunker may not be such a good idea. I guess I would have some decisions to make...

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

I s'pose I'd keep my small critter trap handy. Just this morning I checked on it to see if pesky Mr. Woodchuck had sauntered inside. No groundhog but surprised Mr. Fox didn't look very happy. The scared little guy snorted like a pig while I was opening the door to free him. Then he just sat there. Aren't they s'posed to be sly? I had to dump him out, then ZIP! He was gone in a flash. Not sly, but definitely quick.

kufan1146 2 years, 5 months ago

Hope you drove him quite a ways away or he'll be back very soon..exactly the reason I prefer to take care of my pest problems with a .22 instead of a trap..

kernal 2 years, 5 months ago

Everyone knows cockroaches will rule the world. Jeesh!

Topple 2 years, 5 months ago

Marshmallows, Hershey's Chocolate, Graham Crackers, and a couple wire hangars.

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

Food, water, Christina Hendricks and since we will have a lot of free time on our hands, The Complete Kama Sutra.

Will I have to pay a higher fee to get my LJW paper delivered to my bunker?

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Topple, shirley you can think of s'more things than that.

kufan1146 2 years, 5 months ago

Hopefully I'd already have a bunker so I could hang out there for about a month until fallout subsided, then quite a bit of building materials, tools and a whoooole lot of ammo and reloading equipment, as well as seeds and livestock of some sort.

That and a huge truck with an extra 200 gallons of diesel to move all of the above about 500 miles away.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Apparently you have seen my bunker and are supplying it in a similiar manner . . .

labmonkey 2 years, 5 months ago

somedude.... great minds think alike, although I would like to have CIntia Dicker as one of my redheads.

Joe Hyde 2 years, 5 months ago

Having in safe storage two of everything currently offered by REI Outfitters, by Cabela's and by Lawrence's Sunflower Bike & Outdoor would be a very sensible starting point. Well, all that stuff plus lots of stored food and water. Having also a communication and/or signaling capability with nearby survivors, with whom to possibly coordinate survival response, would help re-establishing the public peace. Such as it would be.

Hell of it is, were there to be an actual all-out nuclear war of the type where every nation explodes its nuclear weapons against a target, then odds are high that any survival strategy I implement will instantly be rendered insufficient by profound climate changes following World War III's nuclear exchanges and/or bio-chemical weapons exchanges.

It's always sobering to think a few moments on what Albert Einstein once said: "After World War III, World War IV will be fought with rocks."

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 5 months ago

Why does my picture of Burt Gummer keep disappearing?

James Minor 2 years, 5 months ago

1) Water, can goods, toilet paper, fire and utensils. 2) Terri Hatcher or the red head in the post. 3) An mp3 player 4) Lots of books where I could read forever. 5) A couple of pairs of glasses in case I break one.