Previous   Next

Do you think downtown Lawrence needs more apartments and/or a hotel/retail space like the proposed Ninth and New Hampshire streets development?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 27, 2012

Browse the archives

“More people in the area for that building means more business for everyone. I think the people who oppose are just resistant to change. It (would be) aesthetically pleasing and have an upscale feel.”

“I think it’s a good thing because options are always a good thing, for apartments or whatever.”

“I don’t think so — I think the cost would be too high (for area people to use the building), and parking’s already not great.”

“I don’t think we need more downtown apartments — we need cultural developments instead.”

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

Well, you know jobs like dishwashers and waiters will always be needed unless people want to serve themselves at a restaurant and then clean up. What about the maids in the hotel? Does anything ever think about all the invisible people in the background who make life pleasant for others? What about the constructions workers who will get paychecks from putting this building up? Sure, it is a temp job if you chose to look at it that way, but what construction job isn't?

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

Here's what we have, new apartments cannibalizing old apartments and rental properties. This town has a love affair with new construction, even when it's not needed or wanted. To grow Lawrence and it's economy we need jobs. Good jobs. Not part time waiter/bartender/dishwasher gigs. Lawrence should have a good tech centered economy. We have a University sitting right in the middle of town that can produce educated workers. Of course, the city "leaders" (aka developers) always take the easy way out and ask us, the taxpayer, to help fund their excess. Will things ever change in this town?

ShePrecedes 1 year, 10 months ago

I call on all commissioners to force the local Developers to pay ALL the short falls in this city that come from undesirable, unchecked urban sprawl, ... you know those atrocious west and south rabbit hutches that are soon depleted homes for future taxpayers.

If our taxes will be lowered because the hotel developers will cover all costs to the city for their greed, then yeah, let them build. But do not let them build if they are not willing to fork out massive amounts of dollars for decades to come, to keep our taxes low,

I have come to seriously dislike developers and unchecked urban sprawl.

My_Life 1 year, 10 months ago

A Wal-Mart Supercenter would be perfect. Maybe with a trailer park in back with dump stations and water hookups. And swings for the kids. Swings would be a great place to pull an engine if someone had a breakdown. Oh, and maybe a fenced in place for kids too so peoples wouldn't have to duck tape their kids.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 10 months ago

Hotels are typically low wage job centers which in reality cannot support living in Lawrence.

alcoholbliss 1 year, 10 months ago

NO! and NEVER!

Downtown needs more State / KU owned property for the best of the best of the best.

And I think property developers/owners should pay for their own security and monitoring since its going in downtown, don't ask tax payers to foot the bill.

none2 1 year, 10 months ago

Lawrence needs manufacturing jobs.

Also it would be nice if we had one of Kansas' gambling rights. Imagine something like the Stratosphere Hotel in Las Vegas being here. Then you would get volumes of people interested in coming to Lawrence.

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

Hotel, maybe? There is plenty of retail space downtown as it is. Apartments.....Lawrence is getting overbuilt again on that issue right now.

And what ever happened to the expansion plans for the Eldridge? I would rather see that than a new hotel.

KansasLiberal 1 year, 10 months ago

Does downtown really need a third hotel? And with KU looking to decrease enrollment with higher tuition and tougher standards does downtown really need more apartments?

jonas_opines 1 year, 10 months ago

Well, finally my posts are being processed.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

I am all for development and progress, but a hotel? Not sure, but I think, no. I miss Bob

George_Braziller 1 year, 10 months ago

Before building more apartments or hotels, how about first getting some of the businesses and services back in the downtown area that people already living there need on a daily basis like a gas station and a drug store. I live a block from downtown and rarely ever go unless I'm meeting someone for lunch.

If they want more people living in the downtown area there has to be some place where they can pick up a quart of milk, a tube of toothpaste, or a package of diapers.

prospector 1 year, 10 months ago

I think downtown should be used as the place to tether the Space Elevator. I will be working in space beside some proud Chinese folks real soon I'm sure. We also need a portal to a parallel universe installed. Downtown would sure be hip then.

But first, I'm off to Copenhagen.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

Lawrence also needs a Community Blood Center again...

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

Yup. Ole Multi will be forever etched in the stories of LJW'isms. If they ever make that movie about cousins and escorts she should have an honorary producers credit.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

The hotel is cool, especially with the underground parking garage. I love the acoustics they provide. Downtown needs a muffler shop, a fruit stand, and some other stuff.

It's a dry heat.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

It was too hot to fire up the lead pot at 4;00AM. Ah, well, just went out and rolled around in the grass clippings for a while. . . . ♣free the blog♣ . . . .

♣RIP multi♣

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

OMG...no. Better check the roster.

Hot today and hot tomorrow. After that it is going to be hot.

Gart 1 year, 10 months ago

No. It is Downtown LAWRENCE, KANSAS.... Think about it.

BTW. I met some shirtless guy who was "bathing" in Potters "Pond" a few days back. He was really excited to tell me that he had some "crawdads" in his underwear...... Not sure why.

He asked me to spread the word of something or another and tell Lawrence that he was going to "climb the mountain and touch the sky." I think he may have been on drugs.