Previous   Next

What is your favorite memory at Liberty Hall?

Asked at Liberty Hall, 644 Mass. on June 22, 2012

Browse the archives

“It was doing the Best Christmas Pageant Ever with Ric Averill and the Seem-To-Be Players in 1990. ”

“It was at a Christmas party when I worked at MartinLogan. It was the space we were in. I had seen so many concerts there.”

“I would say the Kansas Democratic Christmas Party. The beer was good, the food was good and I got to rub elbows with some great Kansas Democrats.”

Comments

Gart 2 years, 5 months ago

Umm...It was at uh.... Hmm, don't remember it to well at this point do to all of the "beverages" consumed the last time I was there. I remember a staircase that my head was hanging over........

I think I will just agree and go along with the crew. Heck, I may have been there with one of them..

It must have been a Christmas thing.....

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Saw George Thoroughgood there. That was a fun time. Ol' George waded into the crowd with a super long cord from the amps. It was bad! (to the bone)

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

I also liked the many times I saw Pat's Blue Riddem band.

There was a high school reunion there that was pretty fun.

My buddy saw Sly & the Family Stone there. He saw Sly outside aftrewards & told him it was a great show. Sly sez 'Yeah, man. Which way is Iowa street?'

Ken Lassman 2 years, 5 months ago

Kelley Hunt has had some great concerts there

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

The River City Reunion, September, 1987. I'd say let's do it again but too many of them are dead now.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

In the fall of 1989 the Kaw Valley Songwriters Association held a songwriters contest and the finals were held at Liberty Hall.on a Saturday. The night before the finals, Guy Clarke and Townes Van Zandt with Robert Earl Keen gave a concert at the Hall. My father and I were guests of Townes Van Zandt and had second row seats. I had met Townes several years earlier at the Kerrville Folk Music Festival and we had become friends. My friend, Patrick Dodd, performed in the finals the next day. Robert Earl Keen was one of the judges and Townes, although not part of the judges panel, attended the finals. Patrick did two songs and another friend and I did back up harmonies for him on the first song. We left the stage afterward and he did the second song solo. I went to the back of the theater and ran into Townes. We sat down on a step at the top of the aisle, linked arms and held hands and watched Patrick do his second song together.
Townes died on New Years Day, 1997, ostensibly from complications from a broken hip he received when he slipped on a patch of ice and fell. But the truth is, he died from complications of alcoholism that played into the broken hip. To this day, I can't walk into Liberty Hall and not think of him. He was a gentle, soft spoken, kind and loving man who, much like Hank Williams, Sr., had a very vicious and heavy monkey on his back. I still mourn for and miss him. The world lost a helluva song writer.

grammaddy 2 years, 5 months ago

My favorite was George Clinton and the P-funk All Stars. We ALL had such a good time with him that Friday night that he decided to stick around and do a second show on Saturday.We got to hang out with the band afterwards across the street at his Eldridge Suite.

a

muddfoot55 2 years, 5 months ago

I remember my mom telling that she saw Roy Rogers at the Opera House in the 50s I believe. If I remember right it was Bugsy's when I was in high school, 70s, and had a lighted disco floor.

John Kyle 2 years, 5 months ago

My first concert was the Stranglers in '79 or '80 when it was the Lawrence Opera House. One of my fav's was Willie Dixon around '84 or '85.