Previous   Next

Do you think the city of Lawrence should invest in alternative energies?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 20, 2012

Browse the archives

“Natural gas is a fad. Quit polluting our environment and go electric.”

“I think Lawrence and every city in this world should investigate in investing in alternative fuels. That is the wave of the future. Renewable energy is renewable.”

“Yes, I think they should invest in alternative energy. Doing things for the environment is never a bad thing.”

“I think it’s a complicated subject because a lot of alternative fuels have negative impacts on the environment.”

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Methane powered buses would have a certain "air" about them . . .

JayCat_67 2 years, 6 months ago

They could install special seats and "refuel" at the local taco joints.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

The aspiring priest says "Renewable energy is renewable.”

He might just get there . . .

labmonkey 2 years, 6 months ago

I bet she knows much about conducting electricity... and is very conductive herself.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Hydrogen fuel must be developed to the same scale as fossil fuels to make it affordable. Once there it is readily available from water, then converts to water vapor as it burns.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

What the hell was I thinkin', givin' a serious answer to OTS? Apologies to all I offended . . .

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

Please be more specific LJW. This is a very vague question. Are you asking if the city should get into the power generation business, if they should offer economic incentives to alternative energy firms or if they should utilize energy saving construction and solar/wind in new and renovated buildings? Those are three very different debates.

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

on the first two, I say no. On the third, I say maybe. It depends on the projected costs and savings associated with the project. When alternative energy is feasible it won't need government investment, aka tax dollars.

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

exactly correct. These are feel good, sound good projects. The kind that give liberals a bad name.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence has hundreds of millions of bucks to whiz away on Solyndra-like projects? Who knew?

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence has hundreds of millions of dollars to whiz away on Solyndra-like projects?

grammaddy 2 years, 6 months ago

Is he pushing for coal? Mus tbe" clean coal". Right.

chootspa 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm going to spend money in an IRA for my retirement. Better?

Richard Payton 2 years, 6 months ago

Wardrobe mistress is that on career builder?

Roadie2005 2 years, 6 months ago

wardrobe mistress here - no it's not listed on career builder, however it is the coolest job despite the grief of the title. Getting paid to travel and live on a tour bus is quite the experience. Thanks for the shoutout! cheers!

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Go electric? You mean like battery powered cars? Let's see . . . lead in batteries. High pollution mining and processing of product Plastic battery case . . . derived from oil. need I say more? Battery acid manufacture . . . nasty, polluting process.

Prius batteries shot after 100,000/140,000 miles. 3 to 5 year old car not worth the cost of replacing $9,000 batteries . . . so scrapped.

Yeah, sounds like a plan . . . .

westside_lawrence 2 years, 6 months ago

Why does Ben from Boulder, CO have a say in what the city of Lawrence should invest (or not) into? Who came up with this question? City should promote certain practices, not invest.

autie: +1. Ben needs to read up on where electricity comes from. natural gas is 30% or more (depending how you measure) cleaner than coal/oil, which is REALLY good.

RoeDapple: I agree with you that electric cars are not necessarily the answer. I personally think some of those drive like appliances with wheels. But there is no lead in NiMH (Prius) batteries and they are known to have lasted over 300k mi in taxi fleets.

Bill_Slu 2 years, 6 months ago

We should build a giant pendulum with weights, magnets and a hand crank. (Similar to how a Grandfather Clock works) Each citizen wold be required to crank it for one minute every other month or 6 minutes a year and receive free electricity. I will volunteer for the elderly citizens on my block. People that do not crank it will have to pay which will offset the maintenance costs.

It will be the new tourist attraction for all of the world to see :) Thus, bringing in enough revenue for a roundabout on every corner and a rec center in every neighborhood!

Bill_Slu 2 years, 6 months ago

you should run for city commission, because you know what everyone wants :)

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

No, they should stick to the traditional money, dirty coal and disappearing oil resources, forget solar, wind, hydro and avoid good designs. Praise Koch. Koch has been behind the ads that claim Kansans all identify with the oil producers, yeah, I own a oil company too. No, it is just a leak on the line of the jalopy.

Armstrong 2 years, 6 months ago

Solyndra seemed to be a good bet, Oops

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

How about I stick this natural gas pipe into your tank, RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

I tip my N95 mask to those stalwarts who posted on the super-secret forbidden thread back in the day.

Roadie2005 2 years, 6 months ago

wardrobe mistress here - no it's not listed on craigslist, however it is the coolest job despite the grief of the title. Getting paid to travel and live on a tour bus is quite the experience. Thanks for the shoutout! cheers!