Previous   Next

Do you think the city of Lawrence should invest in alternative energies?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 20, 2012

Browse the archives

“Natural gas is a fad. Quit polluting our environment and go electric.”

“I think Lawrence and every city in this world should investigate in investing in alternative fuels. That is the wave of the future. Renewable energy is renewable.”

“Yes, I think they should invest in alternative energy. Doing things for the environment is never a bad thing.”

“I think it’s a complicated subject because a lot of alternative fuels have negative impacts on the environment.”

Comments

Roadie2005 1 year, 9 months ago

wardrobe mistress here - no it's not listed on craigslist, however it is the coolest job despite the grief of the title. Getting paid to travel and live on a tour bus is quite the experience. Thanks for the shoutout! cheers!

Flap Doodle 1 year, 9 months ago

I tip my N95 mask to those stalwarts who posted on the super-secret forbidden thread back in the day.

autie 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, I am. I am psychic.

No, there is no secret handshake. You are either part of the illuminati or you are not. It is unspoken and unseen. And you may not know you've been one of the chosen.

My_Life 1 year, 9 months ago

I knew this was a good ole' boys club, but private massages? Glad I'm not a member.

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

Expenditures to reduce future expenses is not investing. It is about optimizing operating costs.

Act! This is a two bit experiment that has already been answered. It makes a good photo-op though. Did they have to flip a coin to see who got to go cheese with the ONE nat gas truck.

Mayor Bob Schumm fills up a city pick-up truck that was recently converted to run on compressed natural gas. Schumm said the city hopes to use the truck to gather data about whether the city should convert other parts of its vehicle fleet to compressed natural gas. by Chad Lawhorn

Armstrong 1 year, 9 months ago

Solyndra seemed to be a good bet, Oops

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 9 months ago

autie,

How do you know you were sent a private message if you did not receive them?

Psychic?

autie 1 year, 9 months ago

Dear fellow users that have sent me private messages via the LJW server, please be advised I did not recieve them. There be glitches in the britches. I know I missed two last night from compatriots discussing censure.

pace 1 year, 9 months ago

No, they should stick to the traditional money, dirty coal and disappearing oil resources, forget solar, wind, hydro and avoid good designs. Praise Koch. Koch has been behind the ads that claim Kansans all identify with the oil producers, yeah, I own a oil company too. No, it is just a leak on the line of the jalopy.

SOS 1 year, 9 months ago

Is that you Darnell? Did Joy come with you?

CWGOKU 1 year, 9 months ago

Wardrobe mistress? Sounds cool, I'll take one.

Bring back Three Mile Island

Roed, don't let it happen again

Bill_Slu 1 year, 9 months ago

We should build a giant pendulum with weights, magnets and a hand crank. (Similar to how a Grandfather Clock works) Each citizen wold be required to crank it for one minute every other month or 6 minutes a year and receive free electricity. I will volunteer for the elderly citizens on my block. People that do not crank it will have to pay which will offset the maintenance costs.

It will be the new tourist attraction for all of the world to see :) Thus, bringing in enough revenue for a roundabout on every corner and a rec center in every neighborhood!

westside_lawrence 1 year, 9 months ago

Why does Ben from Boulder, CO have a say in what the city of Lawrence should invest (or not) into? Who came up with this question? City should promote certain practices, not invest.

autie: +1. Ben needs to read up on where electricity comes from. natural gas is 30% or more (depending how you measure) cleaner than coal/oil, which is REALLY good.

RoeDapple: I agree with you that electric cars are not necessarily the answer. I personally think some of those drive like appliances with wheels. But there is no lead in NiMH (Prius) batteries and they are known to have lasted over 300k mi in taxi fleets.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 9 months ago

"Wardrobe mistress is that on career builder?" - rtpayton

Why the h8ing? What has a thespian ever done to you?

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

Go electric? You mean like battery powered cars? Let's see . . . lead in batteries. High pollution mining and processing of product Plastic battery case . . . derived from oil. need I say more? Battery acid manufacture . . . nasty, polluting process.

Prius batteries shot after 100,000/140,000 miles. 3 to 5 year old car not worth the cost of replacing $9,000 batteries . . . so scrapped.

Yeah, sounds like a plan . . . .

autie 1 year, 9 months ago

Ben must have has mind polluted by all the illegal cigarette smoke on the front porch. Just where does he think that electricity comes from?

I think natural gas burns about a gazillion times cleaner than any other fossil fuel and doesn't make on glow in the dark.

Richard Payton 1 year, 9 months ago

Wardrobe mistress is that on career builder?

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

Don't be sketchy, whatever you do.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 9 months ago

FREE THE_ORIGINAL_BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(btw) THREADING SUCKS

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

"The maintenance will improve the functions of our content management system."

Does "content management system" equal sketchy list?

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

Set Bob free or the biscuits will burn.

Gotland 1 year, 9 months ago

“Natural gas is a fad. Quit polluting our environment and go electric.” Electric power created by unicorns won’t create any pollution. Unicorns on hamster wheels.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 9 months ago

There is a redesign and threading is still an option? This isn't 1998 anymore, LJW.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 9 months ago

There is a redesign and it still includes threading? It isn't 1998 on the interwebs anymore, LJW.

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

By the way, threading comments still sucks.

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

RI

I saw Buffalin Bob on Notlogy last night tooting the city horn about doing a test that has been done millions of times world wide. Way to be ahead of the curve people.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 9 months ago

prospector,

They are converting one pickup.

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

Invest is a flippin stupid word to use. In who's world does invest mean spend money? That would imply that there will be a return on an investment. By the giant sucking sound we hear, we know that is not the case. It is not the governments place to do things that make us feel good. Damn it, quit with the sucking up. The city needs to get their heads out. The natural gas technology is known and used extensively where the cost of the gas is several times higher that ours. Be smart and move forward by taking natural gas out of the alternative category. Boone Pickens knows what he is talking about.

Ben, the respondent above, dud, Facebook is a fad. Natural gas was used before your great grandparents were around and will be used by for generations to come.

BABBOY 1 year, 9 months ago

Kind of a vague question.

I mean is Lawrence building a power plant or putting up some wind mills or something?

Has “mighty” Lawrence, Kansas become a “player” in the market of energy production and or consumption?

I think the paper over emphasis the relevance of Lawrence sometimes....

autie 1 year, 9 months ago

The appears to be a rip in the space/time continuum Mr. Parker. Is this a result of the makeover? I think some people can't post, lost post, post evaporated...that I don't reckon was the work of a TOS moderator....could you expound please?

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 9 months ago

I guess I pushed the Sketchy List stuff too far.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm messing around with the redesign. I am not opposed to it so far. It always takes a few days to get used to something new on the internet. I'm sure there will be some hiccups. Also, did the Sketchy List get purged in the redesign?

g_rock 1 year, 9 months ago

Best place for wind turbines in the city: top of The Oread.

autie 1 year, 9 months ago

does anybody else feel like they are in the twilight zone? What happened? There is a rift in the space/time continuum. Is there an unseen force pushing us?

Flap Doodle 1 year, 10 months ago

Lawrence has hundreds of millions of dollars to whiz away on Solyndra-like projects?

Flap Doodle 1 year, 10 months ago

Lawrence has hundreds of millions of bucks to whiz away on Solyndra-like projects? Who knew?

Damian666 1 year, 10 months ago

Alternative energy is a grand idea, but expensive to implement. There are many ways to "go green" and save on energy costs that are less expensive and less glamorous

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

Please be more specific LJW. This is a very vague question. Are you asking if the city should get into the power generation business, if they should offer economic incentives to alternative energy firms or if they should utilize energy saving construction and solar/wind in new and renovated buildings? Those are three very different debates.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

What the hell was I thinkin', givin' a serious answer to OTS? Apologies to all I offended . . .

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

Alternative energy? Can it be derived from alternative rock? I am gaseous on occassion. Momma would like to see an alternative to that. Just remember, a fuel and his money are soon parted.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Hydrogen fuel must be developed to the same scale as fossil fuels to make it affordable. Once there it is readily available from water, then converts to water vapor as it burns.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"“I think it’s a complicated subject because a lot of alternative fuels have negative impacts on the environment.” — Copper Ramberg, waitress at Tellers, Lawrence"

Smart gal.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

The aspiring priest says "Renewable energy is renewable.”

He might just get there . . .

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Methane powered buses would have a certain "air" about them . . .