Previous   Next

Would you support a sales tax increase to fund a police facilities upgrade?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 19, 2012

Browse the archives

“I would need to learn more about it — get more facts rather than jump on a bandwagon.”

“I think the city should find another way to do it. It’s a good cause, but sales taxes hurt.”

“The sales tax is too high already — it’s a bad one to put it to.”

“I don’t live here, but I have a daughter going to KU, so I’m in favor of more public safety.”

“I support sales tax for public services — the police benefit us all.”

“That’s up to the bureaucrats. I wouldn’t vote because they do what they want.”

“I don’t know enough about what it would do. It sounds like a good idea, but I bet there’s an opposing argument that I could see the reason behind, too.”

Related story

Comments

Jim Eckler 2 years, 6 months ago

too much tax now ,retired people are having a hard time now .stop wasting money on other things like sports!!!!!!!

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

Just follow Cramwell's lead, Carter. It should be even easier with the police. "If we don't get this upgrade the police will lose the ability to keep criminals in check". Stick a mailing in the water bills.

Just lie through your teeth. The precedent has been set.

Kookamooka 2 years, 6 months ago

Isn't there some way they can use unoccupied spaces in strip malls until the economy improves? By locating themselves around the city, they have a broader presence, better access to improved infrastructure and a flexible, on your toes sort of "pop up police department" presence. I'm against new construction starts as a way to gauge the economy.

Chris Ogle 2 years, 6 months ago

Just put in on the water bill with everything else.

canyon_wren 2 years, 6 months ago

How ironic that the lead story about raising taxes for police services would be followed by four articles about items stolen, etc.! I am always amazed by how much of that petty crime is happening in Lawrence. I realize it is happening everywhere but would like to know if the perpetrators in Lawrence are EVER apprehended? I hope the Lawrence police are doing their best to minimize--and SOLVE--those crimes. If not, I would certainly vote against any tax increase if I were a Lawrence resident.

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

Don't forget the #1 start-up in Lawrence (overtaking pizza/Mexican restaurant by a hair): drug dealer robbery.

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

2 "no" responses 2 "it's not my money so sure" responses 1 Skeptical and 2 "deer in the headlights"

it does not look good for public support on this one

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

maybe Carter should have worked a little harder to keep Cramwell in check. If he hadn't been allowed to run amok with the City checkbook I might be more open to this request.

Here's an idea, take the $18 million for the parking garage/library and use it for the police.

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

Toss in the $12 million that Cramwell wants to spend on the trash department too (which nobody wants in the first place)

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

“I don’t live here, but I have a daughter going to KU, so I’m in favor of more public safety.” — Susan Mitsch

1. Of course you are, you won't be paying for it.
  2. It won't make anyone safer

(Brought to you by RoeDy's House of Paranoia and Prepper Supply) (Sorry, sold out of tinfoil hats. No resupply expected until after 12/21/2012)

parrothead8 2 years, 6 months ago

If she's here now, she's buying stuff. If she has a daughter going to KU, she'll be back to buy more and her daughter will spend plenty of money here as well. It's a SALES tax, so yes, she would be paying for it.

Topple 2 years, 6 months ago

I'll take the midnight-3am shift...finally get some practical use of my NVGs!

Our sales tax is already rediculous. Please tell me what will really change with a new police station. What is our police department unable to do without the new station?

parrothead8 2 years, 6 months ago

"I wouldn't vote because they do what they want."

Gee, I wonder if there's a connection there?

Dispersant 2 years, 6 months ago

Susan Mitsch (now) - "Yeah I don’t live here, but I have a daughter going to KU, so I’m in favor of more public safety.”

(middle of school year 2012/13) "What do you mean groceries were that much?! You're spending way too much money all the time!"

whats_going_on 2 years, 6 months ago

I guess I would need to see the pros and cons of it. Why do we need it? What would be improved, if anything? Would it open up more jobs? What is wrong with the one we have now? Do we need it or is it just a nice new shiny thing to have?

nanimwe 2 years, 6 months ago

The police in Lawrence spend the vast majority of their time handing out DUIs. Do they really need a multi-million dollar facility to do that?