Previous   Next

Would you support a sales tax increase to fund a police facilities upgrade?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 19, 2012

Browse the archives

“I would need to learn more about it — get more facts rather than jump on a bandwagon.”

“I think the city should find another way to do it. It’s a good cause, but sales taxes hurt.”

“The sales tax is too high already — it’s a bad one to put it to.”

“I don’t live here, but I have a daughter going to KU, so I’m in favor of more public safety.”

“I support sales tax for public services — the police benefit us all.”

“That’s up to the bureaucrats. I wouldn’t vote because they do what they want.”

“I don’t know enough about what it would do. It sounds like a good idea, but I bet there’s an opposing argument that I could see the reason behind, too.”

Related story

Comments

alcoholbliss 1 year, 10 months ago

Dose this sales tax increase for "police facilities upgrade" also include for new transportation for new staff? Or are we going to be asked later for another increase to cover new vehicle needs?

solve a problem, create a new problem no long term foresight?

nanimwe 1 year, 10 months ago

The police in Lawrence spend the vast majority of their time handing out DUIs. Do they really need a multi-million dollar facility to do that?

whats_going_on 1 year, 10 months ago

I guess I would need to see the pros and cons of it. Why do we need it? What would be improved, if anything? Would it open up more jobs? What is wrong with the one we have now? Do we need it or is it just a nice new shiny thing to have?

Antonym 1 year, 10 months ago

No New Tax! Not for Anything! Well, maybe a special tax only for people who are not residents and don't have a valid student ID.

Dispersant 1 year, 10 months ago

Susan Mitsch (now) - "Yeah I don’t live here, but I have a daughter going to KU, so I’m in favor of more public safety.”

(middle of school year 2012/13) "What do you mean groceries were that much?! You're spending way too much money all the time!"

parrothead8 1 year, 10 months ago

"I wouldn't vote because they do what they want."

Gee, I wonder if there's a connection there?

hitme 1 year, 10 months ago

The solution is obvious. Our city needs our help and we don't need to spend $42M. We need to grab our guns and take shifts protecting our beloved Lawrence. We can make Lawrence the city that criminals are afraid to enter. Quality of life is about choices.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

How much of this $42 million would go to the drone base?

Eventually, if left unchecked, we will become a surveillance society in which our every move is monitored, tracked, recorded and scrutinized by the authorities.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

“I don’t live here, but I have a daughter going to KU, so I’m in favor of more public safety.” — Susan Mitsch

1. Of course you are, you won't be paying for it.
  2. It won't make anyone safer

(Brought to you by RoeDy's House of Paranoia and Prepper Supply) (Sorry, sold out of tinfoil hats. No resupply expected until after 12/21/2012)

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

2 "no" responses 2 "it's not my money so sure" responses 1 Skeptical and 2 "deer in the headlights"

it does not look good for public support on this one

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

So..........why did we ask lots more people than the normal 4 on this question? No reason for asking other than it is just odd.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Combine the library and Police station, then you can say "book em" and have multiple meanings.

prospector 1 year, 10 months ago

"I thought it was a lieberry. "

I thought that is what they were pickin' over at Ronda's.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

Remember, police have no legal obligation to protect you, nor any liability if they fail to do so. Police who speak out against the self defense rights of citizens and/or for gun control, are nothing more than hired guns who represent/enforce interests that are a mortal danger to your liberty; they are not your friends. These interests simply want to control you, of course at your expense, whether or not you want to pay for or use their “services”.

BABBOY 1 year, 10 months ago

I read this flipping question just a minute ago. I must be losing my mind.......

Go drive around Topeka. The no responses sound very Topekan. Lawrence is no longer getting the Johnson County migration. Now, it is just going Topekan.........

LOL

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

I thought it was a lieberry.
♣free the hog♣

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"skinny (Richard Johnson) says… Not until the library is paid for!"

I think you mean liebrary.

/pours one out for Rara.

canyon_wren 1 year, 10 months ago

How ironic that the lead story about raising taxes for police services would be followed by four articles about items stolen, etc.! I am always amazed by how much of that petty crime is happening in Lawrence. I realize it is happening everywhere but would like to know if the perpetrators in Lawrence are EVER apprehended? I hope the Lawrence police are doing their best to minimize--and SOLVE--those crimes. If not, I would certainly vote against any tax increase if I were a Lawrence resident.

Chris Ogle 1 year, 10 months ago

Just put in on the water bill with everything else.

Kookamooka 1 year, 10 months ago

Isn't there some way they can use unoccupied spaces in strip malls until the economy improves? By locating themselves around the city, they have a broader presence, better access to improved infrastructure and a flexible, on your toes sort of "pop up police department" presence. I'm against new construction starts as a way to gauge the economy.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

What is the local effort now and how much of that is dedicated to projects? Skinny has merit. I would look to staging one to replace a current one when it sunsets.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

Just follow Cramwell's lead, Carter. It should be even easier with the police. "If we don't get this upgrade the police will lose the ability to keep criminals in check". Stick a mailing in the water bills.

Just lie through your teeth. The precedent has been set.

Andini 1 year, 10 months ago

Only if it brings more doughnut shops too town.

skinny 1 year, 10 months ago

Not until the library is paid for!

Jim Eckler 1 year, 10 months ago

too much tax now ,retired people are having a hard time now .stop wasting money on other things like sports!!!!!!!

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 10 months ago

No. I am not in favor of spending $36M for a new facility. The total cost seems unreasonable. The public has not even had the chance to discuss the need, let alone how it would be funded.